Seat recliners on planes, now (some) airlines take action !

I and other have been on here before complaining about inconsiderate passengers reclining their seats right back into your face.

Others have argued it isn`t a problem and those complaing are just making a fuss over nothing.

Well, officially, it is a problem !

Why ?

Well the new Air France Premium Economy seats have a fixed back, the seat base slides forward and the back reclines instead.

Even more surprisingly, and welcome, Cathay Pacific`s new Economy seats are the same ! The idea of flying long haul Economy is not one I`d want to consider but if I had no choice I`d definitely fly Cathay Pacific.

And the airlines (particularly their cabin staff) don`t like reclining seats, they cause more passenger disruptive behaviour than any thing else !

Edited by Justin Smith
And airlines don`t like them either !

on most flights - if you ask for a can of drink and ask them to leave the can - drop down your tray, wedge your can in at the back of the tray and voila..... the seat in front can recline - but not the whole way.

You have your space, and the person in front is none the wiser hat their seat isn't all the way back.

It's a good idea ... though personally, with only being 5ft 1" the fact that someone puts their chair in the "lying down" position never bothers me, though it would be nice to be asked if I minded first !

on most flights - if you ask for a can of drink and ask them to leave the can - drop down your tray, wedge your can in at the back of the tray and voila..... the seat in front can recline - but not the whole way.

You have your space, and the person in front is none the wiser hat their seat isn't all the way back.

Doesn`t that only work if you`ve got your tray table down ?

Should the can be full ? And there are different size cans !

A tall woman behind me once asked me to put my seat up. I only had it down as far as it was because I was feeling queasy, but I apologised and did so. I then went to the lavatory and vomited on a flight attendant on my way.

I think there is a moral to this story, but I'm not sure what :huh:

A tall woman behind me once asked me to put my seat up. I only had it down as far as it was because I was feeling queasy, but I apologised and did so. I then went to the lavatory and vomited on a flight attendant on my way.

I think there is a moral to this story, but I'm not sure what :huh:

Always have travel sickness pills handy ?

Doesn`t that only work if you`ve got your tray table down ?

Should the can be full ? And there are different size cans !

the trays can somethimes be folded in half, so it should minimise the obstruction to your space. the larger the can, the better and I prefer an empty can (ususally because it has already been mixed with a rum)

I don't have an issue with the people in front of me - I have more of an issue with the people sitting beside me.... stealing the whole arm rest/ overflow (seat muffin)/ snoring/ drooling/ unwanted chatter/ poor hygeine/ annoying eating habbits/ children wetting themselves - to name a few.

Why can`t all airlines think about their passengers more, and stop treating Economy class like cattle.

Historically, every airline that has ever done so has lost custom, because the airlines that do treat Economy class like cattle can afford to charge less for flights. People complain about comfort, but are not willing to pay for it.

Southwestern Airlines, a few years ago, took out six rows of seats so that all economy class passengers would have a lot more legspace and room generally. Because they'd lost ten per cent of their seating in each aircraft, their fares went up by ten per cent to recoup the lost money. The number of people booking with them promptly dropped through the floor, and they were forced to put the seats back in and drop prices in order to avoid bankruptcy.

when i flew to florida a few years back on mytravel, the seats where that close together i had to almost do the splits to sit down, ending up i swapped seats with my wife and had one of my legs dangling out into the isle, my son was sat at the window seat and the person in front was constatly putting his seat back and forth, my son asked him if he would leave it upright because he couldnt move his legs, the man refused, so i asked for a pillow from the steward, and when the man next sat his seat up i jammed the pillow between his seat and the window frame, we were all in fits of laughter watching this man then try and lay his seat back for the next 10 minutes without joy, reclining seats are the bane of my life.

I think if you pay for a seat you also pay for the space in front of it, not for the inconsiderate person in front to double thier space while you struggle to do anything, because personally i never sleep on flights so i either watch the tv or like to read a few articles which is niegh on impossible if the seat in front leaves you no room.

I think if you pay for a seat you also pay for the space in front of it, not for the inconsiderate person in front to double thier space while you struggle to do anything

But you're wrong. Your seat reclines, and you have a right to recline it if you so choose. If you want to fly in an aircraft with more legroom so that this doesn't cause the person behind a problem ... fly first class. Even business class would probably suffice.

But you're wrong. Your seat reclines, and you have a right to recline it if you so choose. If you want to fly in an aircraft with more legroom so that this doesn't cause the person behind a problem ... fly first class. Even business class would probably suffice.
thought i might be, i said i think, not its the law... and yes we all have enough money to fork out £2k plus for a plane seat per person, even if i had enough leg room i'd still find it offensive for the person in front to decline thier seat into my face, if someone put something that close to your face in a pub more than likely they'd either get told to shift it or a scuffle would ensue, all this litrature about invading people personal space, i think that reclining a seat into someone elses face falls into the category of invading my personal space (which i've had the privelidge of paying for)