Lack of success of team sports in Sheffield

Didn't the Sheffield Sharks basketball team once play at the Sheffield Arena? I remember going to a game there back in the mid/late 90's and the place wasn't even half full. And compared to some indoor arenas around the country (and the world!), the Sheffield Arena is small. The EISS is definitely no sports hall, but it isn't an arena at the same time. I'm not knocking Basketball as I used to play at uni back in the late 90's/early 00's and enjoy it immensely.

Everything seems geared towards Football in this country due to the amount of money pumped into it. Nothing wrong with that I suppose, but it pushes back other big participation sports down the pecking order with them only getting a few column inches in papers every so often.

I remember in the 90's when Boxing was everywhere (not a team sport, I know). The casual fan new who the champs were and it was shown on terrestrial TV all the time and the back pages were full of news of the top fights domestically and abroad. Nowadays Boxing is very much a minority sport IMO and all the good fights are on Sky which has essentially killed off the sport, and I blame PPV for that. Casual fans don't know who the top boxers are and it seems only die hard fans know. And this isn't exclusive to Boxing, plenty other so-called minority sports have fallen foul of this I'm sure.

Sheffield does have a good history in team sports I feel. But it's the lack of publicity in the media that doesn't highlight this. The 21st century culture is very much reality TV/celeb/cooking etc. And unfortunately this is what sells.

like to know which opinion is not fact,not for me to get used to it i keep an open mind on all sports and take pleasure from some but not others does not stop me attending minoriety sports.

Football: True but I don't follow football either.

Cricket: I enjoy test cricket, as do many.

Rugby: If rugby is "legal thuggery" then basketball is for limp-wristed pansies who can't cope with a man's game. Cuts both ways.

Golf is like watching paint dry, agreed.

i used to play football with paul beasley he was an england international and played for john carrs.one sunday we had a match when he arrived he was black and blue on the arms and legs,he had been playing against i think russia,he said this was about normal injuries they got.i know he could hardly walk but said they were used to playing through injuries not like the soft footballers.would have liked to have seen his reaction to your comment.

forgot to mention it was basket ball he had been playing.

i used to play football with paul beasley he was an england international and played for john carrs.

I played in the same team as Paul for several years. Must be 15 years since last saw him when I played an exhibition game with old Doncaster team mates to raise money for Paul's daughter who had been picked for England Junior girls.

Rugby: If rugby is "legal thuggery" then basketball is for limp-wristed pansies who can't cope with a man's game. Cuts both ways.

Now I know you are having a laugh.

Any idea of the bruising encounters that happen when 10 athletes who average 6'6" and 250 Lbs get together in the confines of a basketball court.

As I told the other guy, get along and actually watch a top class game, you will be amazed at the skill and athleticism of these "freaks".

As I told the other guy, get along and actually watch a top class game, you will be amazed at the skill and athleticism of these "freaks".

I amazed at the skill and athleticism of netballers and volleyballers.

Doesn't make me want to go and watch a game.

Now I know you are having a laugh.

Any idea of the bruising encounters that happen when 10 athletes who average 6'6" and 250 Lbs get together in the confines of a basketball court.

It called deliberate hyperbole. A rhetorical device, used to illustrate the exaggerated nature of your adversary's statement.

However, you will forgive me for not being impressed with bruised shins (bless!) when this is what I'm used to seeing.