The whetstone pub

Would that be big Pete?

i thought alan

i thought alan

I thought it was big Pete that went out with Maria? Not Alan, he was single as far as I knew.

Awful about all these pubs which were named after sheffield's industry eg the whetstone,jolly buffer and little mesters. I had forgotten about the latter and still not sure where it was?

The jolly buffer ,although on the main road, did also have a reputation as a 'pick up place' !at the time when i went in there many years ago,to meet my friend and go onto the disco at the back of debenhams, i stood at the side of peter sutcliffe(yorkshire ripper)! I didn't know it was a pub of ill-repute but i knew that he was the yorkshire ripper. He was caught only about 3 weeks later and i recognised him from his photos in the star!

I don't know abou the little mesters as never went in there! The whetstone was more of a city centre pub and had a good reputation.

---------- Post added 16-09-2018 at 20:02 ----------

i thought alan

Alan was the bouncer and Pete was the glass collected

I worked there from the opening night and left when Tom and Eileen left I did a few shifts for them at the Beagle when they moved there

Edited by nikki-red

---------- Post added 16-09-2018 at 20:02 ----------

Alan was the bouncer and Pete was the glass collected

I worked there from the opening night and left when Tom and Eileen left I did a few shifts for them at the Beagle when they moved there

. PM me

So did I, I went up to the Beagle with them. I'm sure I must know you. PM me on SF.

. PM me

So did I, I went up to the Beagle with them. I'm sure I must know you. PM me on SF.

Not allowed to Pm only just started posting need a few more posts

Despite my user name I am a bloke my missis used my e mail address to register a long time ago

Will pm you eventually but my name is Paul

Must know you spent many happy (merry) hours in there

Cheers

Does anyone remember which street 'The Whetstone' was on(or still) in the late 60s early 70s? Was it Earl Street or Cumberland Street? I know it was the last road off The Moor on the left and on the left side again. Does anyone know where it was before then, many years earlier as my great uncle ran a pub at 166 Arundel street and seem to think this was the Whetstone?

The pub on Earl Street was the Pump Tavern.

I always thought The Little Mesters had a reputation for a certain type of clientele.
It certainly did I only ever went in the place once in the seventies with my wife to a wake for a pal of mine Roger Grey who was killed in an accident when scaffolding collapsed on him demolishing a huge chimney in Lancashire somewhere!.At the wake a naughty lady offered her services to me a couple of feet away from my wife,I told her to hop it if she didn,t want to end up in intensive care!.My missis at this time was hot blooded and not shy with her mitts,lucky for her she scarpered!.The Little Mesters is where Sutcliffe was caught out side with a lady of the night in his car by two policemen in a panda car,they noticed the false plates,while being interrogated he asked to urinate behind the pub,thats where the hammer was found he dropped it there!.

No, wasn't Sutcliffe arrested in Broomhill? Outside the Light Trades House, Melbourne Avenue?

Hi Dannyno that's the version I was given by an officer I know he said the two panda drivers took Sutcliffe to Hammerton Road to be interviewed,whilst there an inspector turned up asking about suspects of crime that evening!.He had a hunch about Sutcliffe asking if he had visited the toilets which he had they checked the cistern finding the knife,with the hammer and knife he put it too him that he was the Yorkshire Ripper which he confessed to straight away!.Word got round and in an hour Hammerton Road a small place anyway was wall to wall with police officers,thats the story I got from the horses mouth near enough!.

I don't know where The Little Mester pub was but Sutcliffe was definitely arrested on Melbourne Road Broomhill.

I thought Sutcliffe was caught on the lane that runs from Rutland Park through to Glossop Road. Almost outside Sheffield High School.

It matters not where but that he was caught after his reign of terror, for people like him and child killers I would bring back the death penalty no problem!.