The whetstone pub

Awful about all these pubs which were named after sheffield's industry eg the whetstone,jolly buffer and little mesters. I had forgotten about the latter and still not sure where it was?

The jolly buffer ,although on the main road, did also have a reputation as a 'pick up place' !at the time when i went in there many years ago,to meet my friend and go onto the disco at the back of debenhams, i stood at the side of peter sutcliffe(yorkshire ripper)! I didn't know it was a pub of ill-repute but i knew that he was the yorkshire ripper. He was caught only about 3 weeks later and i recognised him from his photos in the star!

I don't know abou the little mesters as never went in there! The whetstone was more of a city centre pub and had a good reputation.

The Domino was a Wards house and one of the few Sheffield Pubs to be run by A Sikh.

I worked in the Whetstone for four years in the 70's. The manager was Tom Walsh and his wife, Eileen. The came from the Steel Inn on Harborough Avenue and opened the Whetstone in the early 70's. I went to work there when it first opened and left in 1977. I have to say the pub, now the Moorfoot Tavern is an absolute disgrace and not at all like the old Whetstone.

There was a pub around the corner from the Whetstone called the Bricklayers Arms, now demolished, the pub the MyPatch might be referring to is the Hermitage which was extensively refurbished in the late 60's early 70's.

I'd be intrested to know if any of the old regulars that used to frequent the Whestone are Forum members.

I used to go to the whetstone in the 70s

I remember lynda and john who used to run it

the decor was amazing that plastic screening in wacky colours with circles cut into it, and the discos was mint

The Whetstone was the first town centre pub I ever went into. I arrived in Sheffield in 1974 as a student on a Thursday morning, went to the Fleer De Lys at Totley that evening then embarked on a Freshers Pub Crawl on the Friday. Started at the Whetstone then went up to London Road finishing at the Queens(?) on London Road - which I think is now a set of apartments.

The Whetstone was the first town centre pub I ever went into. I arrived in Sheffield in 1974 as a student on a Thursday morning, went to the Fleer De Lys at Totley that evening then embarked on a Freshers Pub Crawl on the Friday. Started at the Whetstone then went up to London Road finishing at the Queens(?) on London Road - which I think is now a set of apartments.

That would be the Royal Hotel,

on the junction of London Road & Abbeydale Road.

m&p ;)

OOhhh goodness...this takes me back...we did most of our courting in The Whetstone Pub...remember hubby (then boyfriend) buying a pint of lager, half of lager and lime/blackcurrant and 2 bags of crisps. It only cost us 98p. Then we would walk home up Eccy Road and stop off at two steps chip shop on sharrowvale road and take supper in to my house!! We had fish and chips fishcake and chips carton of curry and can of pop and if my memory serves me right, we had change out of a pound!! Oh god. How times have changed. I feel rather old just now thinking back. Feel like my parents when they used to tell us stories about prices etc when they were courting. :hihi: Also used to go in the Jolly Buffer and Little Mesters. And up until today reading this thread, I had no idea about the reputation of these pubs, being pulling places.. How niave is that? :hihi: :hihi:

I got kicked out of The Whetstone for looking underage when I was 15, but my mate who was only 14 was allowed to finish both his and my pint.

The Little Mesters changed into The Rolling Mill and came under the management of Duncan Cullen around 1992 i think. The Jolly Buffer was closed for a while and refurbished and managed by Fraser Burnand around 1998. Both good local lads who tried their best but failed in challenging times.

The Lord Nelson is a good old original Pub,one of the last and is affectionately known as "Fanny's".

The Bricklayers Arms was also a great old Pub that served the once thriving industry in the area and was demolished around 1983 i think. It was on part of the site now occupied by Decathalon.

A Pub that used to be called the Hermitage is still on the end of London Rd near to the old MFI and probably took it's name from an older Pub once in the vicinity.

The Moorfoot had another Pub opposite the Royal Bank of Scotland and Yorkshire Bank called The Travellers but i only knew it as a Boy.

I used to go to the whetstone in the 70s

I remember lynda and john who used to run it

the decor was amazing that plastic screening in wacky colours with circles cut into it, and the discos was mint

Did you know any of the staff that worked in there?

remember a lad and a lass who were a couple the names ?

also remember the dj going out with a girl called maria.

sorry it was a long time ago

remember a lad and a lass who were a couple the names ?

also remember the dj going out with a girl called maria.

sorry it was a long time ago

sorry not dj it was the glass collecter

sorry not dj it was the glass collecter

Would that be big Pete?