The whetstone pub

Does anyone remember which street 'The Whetstone' was on(or still) in the late 60s early 70s? Was it Earl Street or Cumberland Street? I know it was the last road off The Moor on the left and on the left side again. Does anyone know where it was before then, many years earlier as my great uncle ran a pub at 166 Arundel street and seem to think this was the Whetstone?

Does anyone remember which street 'The Whetstone' was on(or still) in the late 60s early 70s? Was it Earl Street or Cumberland Street? I know it was the last road off The Moor on the left and on the left side again. Does anyone know where it was before then, many years earlier as my great uncle ran a pub at 166 Arundel street and seem to think this was the Whetstone?

The Whetstone on Cumerland Street, now called the Moorfoot Tavern,

wasn't built untill after the 70's I believe,

The Lord Nelson, 166 Arundel Street (at the bottom of Earl Street)

dates back to the mid 1800's,

and is still there,

link to Flash Earth

& Google street view

Edited by me-and-pippo
info added

thank you me-and-pippo. i must have got it wrong that my uncle ran the whetstone. i do know that the Whetstone existed before the 70s(in name only maybe) but not in the spot it is now. there was a pub with that name closeby and a lot of people thought it was refurbished in the early 70s but possibly a new pub built on cumberland street and given the name of one that was demolished?

Yes the Lord Nelson is still there but I think there was another pub on Arundel St years ago which became a sandwich shop . Arundel Street crosses both Charles Street (close to the Red Lion which is still there) and Matilda Street (which had the Matilda Tavern which is still recognisable but not open I dont think). I worked on the Moor in the 70 & 80 and the Whetstone was always as the other poster said where the Moorfoot is now. This was relative to the area being predominatly cutlery factories, as a whetstone is for sharpening blades.

I also recall a pub called the Domino, which was closeish by as we used to go there if the Whetstone was packed (yes believe it or not) during lunchtimes, but can't remember it's exact location.

Google street view might jog your memory.

Remember the rock murals on the walls of the Whetstone? Used to serve nice plate pie.

I worked in the Whetstone for four years in the 70's. The manager was Tom Walsh and his wife, Eileen. The came from the Steel Inn on Harborough Avenue and opened the Whetstone in the early 70's. I went to work there when it first opened and left in 1977. I have to say the pub, now the Moorfoot Tavern is an absolute disgrace and not at all like the old Whetstone.

There was a pub around the corner from the Whetstone called the Bricklayers Arms, now demolished, the pub the MyPatch might be referring to is the Hermitage which was extensively refurbished in the late 60's early 70's.

I'd be intrested to know if any of the old regulars that used to frequent the Whestone are Forum members.

I also recall a pub called the Domino, which was closeish by as we used to go there if the Whetstone was packed (yes believe it or not) during lunchtimes, but can't remember it's exact location.

I can remember the Whetstone in the 70s having seating cubicles to each window, and a phone booth with door in the corner. Had a disco a couple of nights midweek which was always full

If i remember right i thought the Domino was off Hanover way under the Broomhall flats and there was also another newish type pub (named after cutlery)just across Hanover Way

The Lord Nelson was known to many locals as Fannys

I can remember the Whetstone in the 70s having seating cubicles to each window, and a phone booth with door in the corner. Had a disco a couple of nights midweek which was always full

If i remember right i thought the Domino was off Hanover way under the Broomhall flats and there was also another newish type pub (named after cutlery)just across Hanover Way

The Lord Nelson was known to many locals as Fannys

the Domino was indeed, built within the precincts of the former Broomhall flats. It became flats, IIRC when it closed as a pub, and I believe it was called "Domino House".

I believe it is demolished now.

There were two pubs that were newish, just off Hanover Way, one is the Jolly buffer (late the Classic Rock Bar, on Ecclesall Road now demolished and replaced by yet more apartments) the other was at by the shops up William Street, which is, again, now closed as a pub, and is converted into apartments. I can't recall its name, despite drinking in there frequently! :shocked:

the Domino was indeed, built within the precincts of the former Broomhall flats. It became flats, IIRC when it closed as a pub, and I believe it was called "Domino House".

I believe it is demolished now.

There were two pubs that were newish, just off Hanover Way, one is the Jolly buffer (late the Classic Rock Bar, on Ecclesall Road now demolished and replaced by yet more apartments) the other was at by the shops up William Street, which is, again, now closed as a pub, and is converted into apartments. I can't recall its name, despite drinking in there frequently! :shocked:

Was it The Little Mesters?

Was it The Little Mesters?

Yaaaahaaaayy! yes, bingo, steptoad. that was the name!

:thumbsup:

As someone else said it had a "cutlery trade" linked name.

As I said in my earlier post, the building which was the pub is still standing, but it has been converted into student flats.

edit to say

as if by magic, (well, courtesy of googlemaps!! :D ) a picture of the building which was "Little Mesters"

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=William+street+Sheffield&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=19.196147,39.506836&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=William+St,+Sheffield,+South+Yorkshire+S10,+United+Kingdom&ll=53.375405,-1.484485&spn=0.009434,0.01929&t=h&z=16&layer=c&cbll=53.375508,-1.484182&panoid=hkATkn-zOx27A479kh-HeQ&cbp=12,97.86,,0,16.01

Edited by Plain Talker
to add the googlemaps link

I always thought The Little Mesters had a reputation for a certain type of clientele.

I always thought The Little Mesters had a reputation for a certain type of clientele.

:surprised: ;) are you insinuating? ;) (hehe)