Biting Puppies - help

Help!! Any tips on how i can stop my puppy from constantly nipping/biting would be gratefully received???:confused:

There are none that work apart from telling it no and stopping it doing it - is the honest answer. Any other methods just do the same thing but go round the houses to achieve it imho.

A loud yelp/shriek then ignore it for a bit- this is what it's mum/ siblings would do to show hes being too rough, they just have to learn whats acceptable and whats not :)

Yup, just like with small children, yelp like it's the end of the world and then refuse to play with them for a while. It's a matter of them learning what's not appropriate.

i found shouting or yelling ouch was ok for so long but when they go into hyper mode theres no stopping them,,,(typical staffy) they tend to come back for more,,,calmly pin the pup to the floor to allow it to calm down saying nooo as you do it or remove yourself from the pups presence, so that it knows its not acceptable to bite and your not playing,,alternatively divert its attention by giving it something else to chew,,,trust me it may seem like the pup is biting excessively and may worry you,,it certainly did me but it soon calms down,,,perseverance is the key and my pup by the way is 11 week,,,,,,also a quick spray of water saying no at the same time sometimes works

Yup, just like with small children, yelp like it's the end of the world and then refuse to play with them for a while. It's a matter of them learning what's not appropriate.

Good advice, just be consistant :) Easier said then done, It;s been ages since I have been around a puppy but I can still remember the 'needle' teeth :shocked:

Thanks for the advice everyone, will give it a go and keep you updated....

if it's a new pup we need pics to gush over!!!!!!

My arms are covered scars from Molly's nips but she is getting better. patience and consitancy has been the best approach for me. Also what has appeared to work is me playing with her more...so when she decides I am the toy(or the kids) I stop and turn away. I think she needed very clear rules on play. does that make any sense...it's a real learning curve having a pup and I am still learning every day. she still does it a bit when she gets v v excited but i am more confident now in dealing with it.

also training classes have been very good in the sense of we have built a better relationship and I am better at geting and keeping her attention now. Also it's good to be told that this is normal dog behaviour!!! there were days I really wouldn't like her but I think that was because I was frustrated and didn' know how to deal with her...Lottie on here will be able to help

Good luck and don't despare too much, it will get better!!!!

Please don't pin your pup!!

The advice on here is great. And it's also true, that after so long they can get worked up but pinning them down is definitely a no no. If you find that yelping and turning your back/stopping play etc. isn't working and your pup is getting more and more giddy, just leave the room and shut the door so your pup is then losing your presence. They do learn but to an extent it's also a case of them growing out of it. You'll find that you try for ages before it suddenly clicks into place.

Be very clear, give consistent boundaries and stick at it. You will get there but it takes time. :)

Admittedly our two weren't pups when we acquired them, but they liked to nibble whilst play fighting. A friend had had a similar issue and was advised to make a noise to distract them....in his case drop a choker chain on the floor.

It worked a treat for ours, if they got a little over zealous, we dropped the chain onto the floor and a stern no (no need to throw it or be agressive) stopped them in their tracks!!

Good luck!

Thanks everyone! Following all the advice, from this morning I've been issuing in a low stern voice a firm "NO!" and then withdrawing my attention and it definitely has seemed to work today. When her play has been really boisterous with the nipping, i've delivered 'to the best of my ability' a loud doggy yelp and turned away from her instantly, which completely stopped her in her tracks, very impressive.

Daisy is an extremely adorable 9 week old chocolate Labrador Retriever and looks like she's just stepped out of an Andrex commercial! Just trying to work out how to put a picture of her on here.

Have heard a lot of good reports about 'clicker' training. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? How old does a puppy ideally need to be to introduce this method?

Thanks again everyone.

So glad it's working :) You'll find the more you play, and stop playing when she nips, the quicker she'll learn because the association gets stronger each time. She'll love it too because she'll understand exactly how far she can go and therefore stay out of trouble :D

You can start clicker training straight away and it's a fab way of training. I always recommend it and it's an option that I offer people attending my classes. It's great fun for the dog and can help teach basics as well as more intricate behaviours. I'd definitely have a go at it if I were you but practice your timing BEFORE you teach Daisy what the click means!