Smoking with kids in the car

Perhaps people who drive cars should also install filters to filter out the exhaust fumes that are entering into the car as they are more dangerous than passive smoke. Opening the window while driving is also a bad idea. Failing that then a cocoon with oxygen supply should be available to new born babies travelling in cars.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-14152045

I agree with Xt500 in that most people over that age of 40 were subject to passive smoke and some who also smoked later in life and there are still here. My mother smoked 20+ a day and my father smoked a pipe and cigars and yet she had 8 healthy babies. Both parents are now dead and their deaths had nothing to do with smoking related problems.

I smoked for over 40 years and gave it up at Christmas simply because it was becoming too expensive. If it is that bad then the the sale and growing of tobacco should be outlawed.

Perhaps people who drive cars should also install filters to filter out the exhaust fumes that are entering into the car as they are more dangerous than passive smoke. Opening the window while driving is also a bad idea. Failing that then a cocoon with oxygen supply should be available to new born babies travelling in cars.

I agree with Xt500 in that most people over that age of 40 were subject to passive smoke and some who also smoked later in life and there are still here. My mother smoked 20+ a day and my father smoked a pipe and cigars and yet she had 8 healthy babies. Both parents are now dead and their deaths had nothing to do with smoking related problems.

I smoked for over 40 years and gave it up at Christmas simply because it was becoming too expensive. If it is that bad then the the sale and growing of tobacco should be outlawed.

It is predicted that smoking will have disappeared completely in the UK within 30 years. So with increasing taxes and increases in restrictions on where smoking is permitted the government is banning smoking, but to avoid a backlash is mindful of the current few million addicts that need to pass through the system.

http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/The-year-smoking-die-around-yahoofinanceuk-1475215623.html

The table below illustrates the year the trend hits zero in each of the following nations:

Country % of the population that smokes // Citi's earliest prediction for end of smoking

Sweden 15 2028

Australia 17 2030

Iceland 16 2033

Canada 18 2040

United Kingdom 21 2040

Norway 21 2042

United States 21 2046

Netherlands 28 2048

Belgium 20 2051

Japan 24 2054

Spain 26 2056

New Zealand 18 2058

Italy 23 2091

Finland 21 2093

France 25 2118

Greece 40 2231

Germany 23 2280

• Source: Citi Investment Research and Analysis based on OECD, national data, TMA and JT data

As Dr Charles Godden, a consultant paediatrician at the Royal Surrey County Hospital said

"I'd love to hear somebody cogently explain why smoking in a car with a child in it is reasonable."

Unless they stop production and sales it will never disappear, restriction are not a ban either.

What is now happening is that because of the decline of smoking in those countries the tobacco companies are now actively promoting smoking in 3rd world countries where there are no controls. In those countries smoking is very much on the increase. If cigarettes are still available then ways will be found to smuggle theme over here.

If the USA was that concerned, then instead of being PC about people smoking they would ban tobacco production outright. But, they wont do that for fear of a backlash from tobacco farmers and also because of the revenue from it.

As Dr Charles Godden, a consultant paediatrician at the Royal Surrey County Hospital said

"I'd love to hear somebody cogently explain why smoking in a car with a child in it is reasonable."

Perhaps the onus is on the paediatrician to show and prove what damage it does first and not use anecdotal evidence as to it harm. As pointed out, exhaust fumes can be far more dangerous and that data has been proven.

Perhaps the onus is on the paediatrician to show and prove what damage it does first and not use anecdotal evidence as to it harm. As pointed out, exhaust fumes can be far more dangerous and that data has been proven.

So are you saying it is resonable to smoke with a child in a car?

Save your lungs, stop smoking and start vaping. Join the revolution and move onto electronic cigarettes. No passive smoking, no tar and much cheaper.

Smoking in the car with children is illegal in oz.A fine of around $A200 (one hundred pounds ? )applies

So are you saying it is resonable to smoke with a child in a car?

I'm not saying its reasonable or unreasonable!

Just pointing out that a paediatrician can say what he wants based on anecdotal evidence but proving it to be true is another thing. Perhaps we could have some real research and data on the effects like this report on exhaust fumes.

Smoking anywhere near kids is a big NO-NO in any book, you are killing them by doing it, plain & simple. I smoked for 20 years, allthough not in the house after we had kids. I now dont "Smoke" but I do "Vape" and Echo Johns thoughts. I've not had a cig since February this year and my vaping habit gives me everything smoking di but without any harm. Vaping is inhaling vapor without any of the carcigens associated with burning tobaco. Yes it tastes different but so what? I still get nicotine and can vape any flavor I like it doesnt have to be tobaco, fruit flavors, menthol apple pie, you name it.

Have a look at ukvapers.com or google vaping and see for yourself.

I recently went to a family wedding and after 15 minutes of "whats he doing" whilst outside with the smokers I decided to vape indoors at the Novotel in Sheff city centre, staff didn't mind as they must know that vaping is safe for you and others around you as there are no passive ingredients to harm anyone. My family soon asked and as I'd brought a spare I loaned it around, about 10 or so members tried it and have since ordered one for themselves, it really is the only alternative to smoking I can see that doesnt harm you and still m akes you feel like you are still smoking! win win!

Go educate yourselves, stop smoking and feel a hell of a lot better.

p.s: if you do want to give it a go, get a decent piece of kit, not the rubbish that looks the same as a cigaretts, theres loads to choose from and I can help you pick a good one from multiple vendors. Search Ego, Ego-T, PuffPaddy, and the cheapest I've seen that is a brand new product the Bud.

Edited by RaStA