What are the rents on Fargate and the likes?

That seems like a shocking amount of money. is this why our high streets have become so homogenised - it doesnt matter where you go in the country, you just find a generic highstreet of the same stores. How on earth would a start-up have that kind of money?

That's why there are so many business failures so soon after opening because people massively underestimate how much they need to live on and how long it will take for the business to generate enough revenue to support it. I agree wholeheartedly with you about the homogenisation of the high street, so depressing.

Forget the rent figures, a look at the Rating List shows that WHSmith's premises on Fargate has a rateable value of £487,500.

That's a lot of sellotape and paper clips.

Why not be a cheeky sod and request it under the freedom of information act? I'm sure they can't charge more than a tenner :D

That would seem to be the answer. It's not cheeky at all, it's using your rights. What is cheeky is the council charging to tell you how much they'll charge you.

You might need to re-think your business model then. You will be lucky to get any decent premises for much less than £5-£6k per year rent, then there's rates, insurance and utilities. With many business ideas it's often a good idea to work out how much you need to take (include absolutely everything!), and to work backwards to see how your business idea can generate that amount of money.

You may have to pay more rent on say Eccclesall Road, but you may be able to charge more for your product.

Good luck.

Believe me- I will work everything out before going into business. I certainly don't want to make a mess of it. I heard £6-7k for my cart would be the price, which is better. I'd like to move around the city though, ecclesall road- western park- broomhill etc springs to mind. Could make a bit of cash doing it that way.

if you go into the town hall you can pick up a "street trading information and guidance booklet" which to my knowledge prices the city in platinum gold silver and bronze teir levels with prices. It also has all the legal requirements you need to fill out an application. good luck ! :)

if you go into the town hall you can pick up a "street trading information and guidance booklet" which to my knowledge prices the city in platinum gold silver and bronze teir levels with prices. It also has all the legal requirements you need to fill out an application. good luck ! :)

They gave me that- page 13 mentions £227 a year. I strongly doubt it!