South Park creators threatened for putting Mohammed in a bear suit.

BBC News story here. They had to censor the programme under threat of violent retribution if they didn't.

At least they tried and this attempt to censor by intimidation may well have helped them more in their ridicule of deities.

Is this the peaceful religion of Islam we hear about so much?

References to the bear being mohommmmmmmed I think.

Is this the peaceful religion of Islam we hear about so much?

Many religious factions have violent nutters as members but it would seem that Islam sees this trait as a benefit to membership.

Why do any religious nutters get upset over cartoon characters? They are only the same as the cartoon characters made up thousands of years ago.

I thought this was great but was too scared to put a link on here.

:hihi:

Seeing as his image is so sacred perhaps we should start showing it more to remove this perception, thus making the nutters less inclined to threaten violence every time his image is shown?

Besides, I'd have thought the Budhists were more distressed as Budha was shown snorting cocaine - clearly false as if Budha were a coke head there's no way he'd have been that fat.

Religion is bad mmmm'kay

It like, makes you weak minded and stuff, you know.

It is not clear they had to censor the programme, at all. What they appear to have done is use the censorship issue as a means to gain publicity and to make a point about censorship.

I believe the images of Mohammed in a bear costume were replaced with images of Santa in a Bear costume.... for example.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/apr/22/south-park-muhammad-episode-censored

I think Abu Talhah al-Amrikee should be charged with incitement. If along with a warning you publish addresses, the intent would appear to be a clear threat, not a warning as claimed. That said US laws are different, so there many not be scope to do so.

Either way the episode seems to have dealt with the issue in a humorous way, and gained some publicity in the process.

To keep this in context there is so far as I can see only one threat against the programme makers. Maybe there will be more later because it might be used by extremists to stoke up fears... we shall have to see if that happens.

Edited by Wildcat

Why do any religious nutters get upset over cartoon characters? They are only the same as the cartoon characters made up thousands of years ago.

Because certain nut jobs love to be heard, gives their sad lives some meaning i suppose

Is there a clip of this on youtube yet? I would check, but I am at work :(

Its rather Ironic that the episode in question is ripping into the stupidness of 'show xxxxx and we will blow you up' and yet again our muslim friends have done the exact same thing. The reason why he is in a bear costume is part of the episode storyline (noone is allowed to see him as they will get bombed if they do. so they put him in a bear costume)

Edited by Beakerzoid
removed link