Brushing toddler teeth

:help:

My lo who has just had his second birthday has decided over the last couple of months or so that he doesn't like his teeth brushing anymore. He hates it that much he cries hysterically until we have done.

I really don't know what to do....holding his head still whilst we brush just seems wrong!!! He used to let us do them and finish them off himself and he used to actually brush his teeth as well. Now if we hand him the brush he just sucks of the toothpaste and then plays with the cold tap!!!

Anyone else had anything similar or knows any way to help please let me know :)

Thanks

My 2 yr old has been going through the same thing for a while now....people have suggested all sorts of rewards (stickers, stamps etc) but she couldn't care less and would rather go without.

I know people say that you shouldn't force kids to clean their teeth as it can set up negative emotions about teeth for later in life, but I think its really important.

So I told my daughter that either "Mummy would do them in the mirror and she could finish off after (or start and then Mummy do them - you get the idea) or Mummy would hold her down and make her do them". Sounds awful, but we only had a couple of days of holding her down (which she hated and it was really hard) before she decided that it was better to let my do them in the mirror....now she's fine about it.

The other thing that has really helped with the quality of the cleaning is that we discovered she thought the spitting part was really great. So we do about 2 teeth, and if she gets fidgety, offer a rinse and spit (its a messy time at our house!) and then keep going. Strange but true.

If I leave her to it, she just sucks the toothpaste too. Don't know why they all like to do that so much!!

Hope that helps.....

I'll echo hbofinger (long time no see, by the way :) ) in everything she said.

I had to resort to doing it myself with my son in a headlock. I only had to do it a few times, and he decided he preferred to do it himself. It seems harsh, but it beats the dentist ripping those lovely teeth out once they've turned black and nasty.

We were also helped by an electric toothbrush with his favourite character on...it has a base that flashes for the length of time he has to brush, and I kid myself that the vibration helps compensate at least a little for his complete lack of brushing know-how and enthusiasm...

I work in the dental profession and forcing your child to have their teeth brushed is far kinder than what will happen if they should develop dental problems, and this will give a much more negative view of teeth/dentists etc.

It does seem so wrong at the time but your efforts will pay off.

As hbofinger and cosywolf said, after a few forceful attempts things should become easier as child realises the easier option.

Character/electric toothbrushes, rewards, charts etc are a really good idea if it helps.

I will personally be 'helping' my children clean their teeth until around the age of 8, whether they like it or not! :)

Thank you all :)

Unfortunately he hasn't got bored of the 'pinning down' yet but I will be trying your ideas namely the mirror, leccy toothbrush etc, so another big thank you.

I will see how it goes and keep you posted :)

My daughter likes to brush her teeth again now. She only goes off it when she has anew tooth coming through. She used to love it and want to brush them all the time, but she has a flashy toothbrush (flashes for one minute) I tell her that if she wants to brush them herself then Mummy needs to brush them first and that generally works. I bought her a Dora toothbrush on Wednesday. She has so many different toothbrushes. She's set until she's at least 5 :lol:.

Edited by missflirtuk

i must admit this is my downfall if he refuses to do it i leave it, hhhm im thinking im a b mum think somebodys getting pinned down 2mz lol

Get a tooth tunes brush! My kids love them...I keep catching my 9 year old dancing in front of the bathroom mirror whilst brushing (actually it looked so much fun I got one for me too :hihi:)

If you can get to home bargains they have them for £1.99, including the junior (under 4) one.

All together now! 'this is the way we brush our teeth'....lol

We had problems ealry on but found brushing our sons teeth in the bath really helped with lots of fun and bubbles- no chasing round the bathroom that way. lol

I had the same problem with my son, we overcome it by play 'dentists' you do mine and i'll do yours, it definately works and now he even enjoys going to the dentist, kills 2 birds with 1 stone :D

Lucy I do that with my daughter, when she is in the shower I hand her the toothbrush and away she goes :D.

Well as fast as he decided he hated brushing his teeth he has started ASKING for them to be brushed as he used to. It was either it hurt whilst his teeth were breaking through or he understood it when I said that the dentist would be cross if they were dirty (he has recently just been to the dentist) :hihi: