WWF knocking at doors in Crookes

Last night there was a team of young people going around our street, wearing black uniforms with WWF emblazoned, badges, clipboards etc. I did answer the door (wish I hadn't) to a very insistent young woman who proceeded to tell me about saving the Amazon etc. I listened as long as I could but told her politely that I wasn't interested in signing anything at the door and make my own arrangements for charities/causes etc. "Why not?" she went on and totally changed her demeanour.

I just found it odd that such a long standing, worthy cause would resort to a team of hard sellers. Are they real??

Ashanta

They're just collecting for the WWF, I gave them two panda's and an Emporer Penguin.. they weren't very happy and said I should have taken them to a zoo..... I said that I had but they preferred the cinema and Alton Towers :hihi:

They would have been professional collectors on commission looking for Direct Debits.

If you really feel they upset you:

How do I go about making a complaint to WWF?

We are sorry that you are not happy with the service you have received.

We would be grateful if you could contact our Supporter Care Team by telephone on 01483 426333, by e-mail at [email protected], or by letter to

WWF-UK,

Panda House,

Weyside Park,

Godalming,

Surrey GU7 1XR,

so that we can deal with your complaint.

http://www.wwf.org.uk/what_we_do/about_us/faqs/

All of the charities are now employing professional collectors, and they are determined in their approach to say the least.

The charities are surely not doing themselves (reputation wise) any favours, I for one refuse to stand at my own doorstep being subjected to emotional blackmail and guilt making twaddle, by people persuading me against my will to over load my bank account with direct debits that I cannot afford and will only cancel later...what is the point!!

They would have been professional collectors on commission looking for Direct Debits.

If you really feel they upset you:

How do I go about making a complaint to WWF?

We are sorry that you are not happy with the service you have received.

We would be grateful if you could contact our Supporter Care Team by telephone on 01483 426333, by e-mail at [email protected], or by letter to

WWF-UK,

Panda House,

Weyside Park,

Godalming,

Surrey GU7 1XR,

so that we can deal with your complaint.

http://www.wwf.org.uk/what_we_do/about_us/faqs/

No, they didn't upset me that much! I was just curious as to why WWF use the "Car sales" technique. I actually think it's a good cause but would rather decide myself when and where I give money etc. I guess it must be a commission thing but it's certainly put me off them...

They came to my house too, sometime after 7pm. I told them I support other charities and have supported them in the past. They guy went away happy, but with nothing from me.

I have a rule. If any charity comes to my door and begs me for money, I never contribute to them again.

Crookes seems to be one of the favourite areas for these types. Charities and bloody Lib Dem flyers which seem to be arriving on a daily basis now.

Had the WWF a few times months ago but not lately. I really hate the charity hard sell that these companies use. Presumably though, it must make them more money than it costs them or they wouldn't do it...

Not all charities that use door to door recruiters use companies. Some use their own staff and don't use hard sell techniques.

Either way, it is an effective way of making money for their causes, which is exactly what they need to do to make a difference. A charity that sits back and hopes someone will come to them with some money wouldn't be terrible effective.

I agree the badly trained and pushy ones are a pain and a liability to those who try hard not to annoy. But I think making a blanket decision to blank out any charity that comes to your door is both harsh, and probably means there won't be any charities left for you to give to. They have to do what they can to stay afloat in these difficult times.

In these times, I'm afraid, it's seen as an intrusion. I am sick of hearing that all my neighbours have donated. The hell they have.

Not all charities that use door to door recruiters use companies. Some use their own staff and don't use hard sell techniques.

Either way, it is an effective way of making money for their causes, which is exactly what they need to do to make a difference. A charity that sits back and hopes someone will come to them with some money wouldn't be terrible effective.

I agree the badly trained and pushy ones are a pain and a liability to those who try hard not to annoy. But I think making a blanket decision to blank out any charity that comes to your door is both harsh, and probably means there won't be any charities left for you to give to. They have to do what they can to stay afloat in these difficult times.

I disagree.

When the executives of charities are being paid over £50,000 a year and choose to subvent fund-raising to private companies that make millions on the back of it (by using minimum wage folk dependant on commission).........

.. they have lost their way and we should shun them like the frauds that they are.

Apart from the DD chuggers, the only others that have asked for my money are Chriistian Aid that had put an envelope through my door, earlier.

Edited by cgksheff

Last night there was a team of young people going around our street, wearing black uniforms with WWF emblazoned, badges, clipboards etc. I did answer the door (wish I hadn't) to a very insistent young woman who proceeded to tell me about saving the Amazon etc. I listened as long as I could but told her politely that I wasn't interested in signing anything at the door and make my own arrangements for charities/causes etc. "Why not?" she went on and totally changed her demeanour.

I just found it odd that such a long standing, worthy cause would resort to a team of hard sellers. Are they real??

Ashanta

Maybe they are very passionate and have strong, hard views which came across as angry.

Look at gordon ramsays when he talks about food.

Either way, it is an effective way of making money for their causes, which is exactly what they need to do to make a difference.

Knocking on doors to solicit money from people in any form is unethical and wrong, because it intrudes on people's family time and preys particularly on the kindness of more vulnerable people who may feel flustered into making a rash financial decision.

I'm not talking about charities that put bags through the door asking for donations to sell (although this is pretty annoying for other reasons), or the little envelopes that Christian Aid sometimes give out - these are low-pressure techniques and they don't make you feel guilty for saying no. I'm talking about representatives of charities who come to your door asking for money (usually in the form of a recurring monthly donation) and try their hardest to make you feel uncomfortable if you say you're not interested, or you'll think about it, etc.

Three charities - WWF, PDSA and NDCS - have all done this on my doorstep in the past, and have all gone down in my estimation because of it.

A charity that sits back and hopes someone will come to them with some money wouldn't be terrible effective.

Not knocking on doors is NOT the same as sitting back and hoping. The vast majority of charities do no door-knocking, instead soliciting donations via advertising campaigns, the internet, high-street shops, charity events, word of mouth and simply rattling collecting tins, and they've done this very successfully for decades.