Wincobank born and bred

Hi Tara, Yes your'e right , the shop at the bottom of Vauxall Rd was on the left ,(going down), funny shop, never seemed to have regular opening times,!.

You are right again about the shop to the left of the Foundry Arms,( Bob Bokins Place! ), It was a sweet shop, tobacconist and general bits ad pieces. It was on the right hand side of a big Gennel, the shop on the other side of the Gennel was Walt Harrison's Butchers/game/ fruit shop. Bang opposite, on the other side of the road was th Co-op chemist on the right hand side of Chapman St, and the Chapel, (now a boxing gym) on the left hand side.

Hope this helps your sweet shop dream,!!!. By the way I still have a couple of photos of Elain Webster laying around somewhere,?.

harrisons fruit shop one side, mason and davis sweet shop tuther

---------- Post added 03-11-2014 at 23:40 ----------

I lived at one court one next door to rita billy and marie Webster, and len dolly ron and pete beedam lived next to us above, lens mum ada had the paper shop on barrow rd . tilllen and dolly took it over, and ada moved in next to us.

---------- Post added 08-11-2014 at 14:25 ----------

the house next door below ours was the elvins nans house,mrs websters, not the elvins. the terrace of houses next to bockins pub housedthe thompsons ken my old mate ,Rhodes,s my old mate kieth and his bro brian, my auntie annie Reynolds ,I used to go down her cellar grate to open door for her when shed locked her self out. the shop me old mate pete chapman finished up owning ,used to belong to richardsons first if im not mistaken ,allan Richardson lived there with his mum n dad.

Hi Janie- M

I have just joined the firm and read your query about the 1955/56 United Winner from Wincobank County School I think that I can ad little bit more info on the subject

Back row Third one along is Jimmy Richardson He lived next to the chapel on Barrow Rd Dick & Cora were his parents and they ran the dancing in the 1950s in the old school across from the church { Jimmys grandad was old man Casson the Greengrocer on Barrow Rd } Sixth one along is Kenny Wright also from Barrow Rd up past the post office

Sitting Joe Andrews our 4th year teacher { and once trained The Sheffield Boys Football Team } Behind the shield is Albert Nelson Standon/Vauxall area I believe Next to him sits Trevor Flavel Standon/vauxall area and the last is Mr Woods Head Teacher Kneeling on the left is Bob Dickinson from the first courtyard down from Harrisons on Barrow Rd All the persons mentioned, and myself, were in the same class except Trevor who was one class lower. Bazz

Jepson Road

Although me dad claimed it was in Shiregreen as we had a S5 postcode.

I was born on Jepson Road in the war. Lovely memories of the allotments, woolly woods and concord park before concord school was built. Love to get in touch with old friends from that area. I was carol Stevenson then.

I used to deliver papers on Standon Rd in the early 50s. Miss Stinger lived in the top house on the right. Had a big fearsome dog which some nights used to tear the evening paper to shreds. The big house at the top on the right, in its own grounds, even had a tennis court !. Ken Haigh our coal merchant lived there. They had the first tv I had ever seen. after i'd put their paper through the letter box I'd watch the tv through the window, compleatly gob smacked !It must have been one of the first tvs in Wincobank. Happy days !.

Hi Gethro, was brought up there in 60s when Challoner was the Coal man then.

For anyone still on here theres a new photo come up on Picture Sheffield It is a photo of Newman Road Back Yards of the Back to Back Houses. Its stated as Newman Road Patch and mend Properties.

---------- Post added 18-05-2017 at 15:34 ----------

For anyone still on here theres a new photo come up on Picture Sheffield It is a photo of Newman Road Back Yards of the Back to Back Houses. Its stated as Newman Road Patch and mend Properties.

Hi old Tup loads of info on George Moverley on this thread

---------- Post added 18-05-2017 at 15:47 ----------

Does anyone remember Jill Rhodes she lived in the sort of Farm House next to the Garages on Newman Road just below that old Chip Shop and old chapel.

---------- Post added 18-05-2017 at 15:50 ----------

Hi old Tup loads of info on George Moverley on this thread

---------- Post added 18-05-2017 at 15:47 ----------

Does anyone remember Jill Rhodes she lived in the sort of Farm House next to the Garages on Newman Road just below that old Chip Shop and old chapel.

_______

Why has this thread not moved up when I have just quoted on it ??

Hi Gethro, was brought up there in 60s when Challoner was the Coal man then.

Hi Tara, there were two coal men living in Wincobank then. George Challoner and Ken Haigh. Ken lived in the big house at the top of Standon Rd, the Challoners Lived opposite your old house (no 63 ?) on Newman Rd. They has 4 children, Constance, Arnold (my classmate at Wincobank school) Alma (married Brendan Ingle) and Jean.

There was a Static Water Tank built in the top of Challoners big front garden, opposite my Grandmothers house (no 73), during the war and we spent many happy hours playing in and around that tank, till we got chased by various neighbours, saying " Get out! Somebody is going to get drowned !!. Ken Haigh was our coal man cos' him and my dad were old schoolmates from wayback.

They were happy days then living on Newman Rd , got nowt, but enjoyed every minute. Did your dad work at Shardlows?.

Yes my Dad (Frank Worthington) did for a while but his brothers Tom and Wilf worked there all their lives. The youngest brother was David Worthington who you might know I think he hung around with Cliff Roxborough.

Also theres a new photo been put on picture Shefield of the back to backs Newman Road it is named as Patch and mend properties Newman Road dont know if you've seen it , It shows you all the back yards starting with the Ainsworths and Websters.

My Dads Teacher was Miss Bedford at Wincobank School and his mate was Mick Huckles (Duffy).

In the early 60s I was a driver-salesman for the Don Bakery one of my customers was George Moverley who had a shop on Newman Road!.I always remember him because he used to take the mickey out of me when I knocked him up in the freezing early winter mornings,he always opened the door stripped to the waist glowing with health whilst my van lad and I were muffled up like Nanook of the North!.I was only in my teens and he made an impression on me with his good humour,sadly George died young due to some illness brought on by a bad fall he had one day running for a bus,that was what he claimed when I last saw him a shadow of the man I first met!.

In the early 60s I was a driver-salesman for the Don Bakery one of my customers was George Moverley who had a shop on Newman Road!.I always remember him because he used to take the mickey out of me when I knocked him up in the freezing early winter mornings,he always opened the door stripped to the waist glowing with health whilst my van lad and I were muffled up like Nanook of the North!.I was only in my teens and he made an impression on me with his good humour,sadly George died young due to some illness brought on by a bad fall he had one day running for a bus,that was what he claimed when I last saw him a shadow of the man I first met!.

Hi Old Tup great to hear some more about George. If you look on the Old Back to Back houses in 60s thread and Old washhouses esp Wincobank thread you will see loads about George. He actually had Heart problems I think. His Grandson is on these two threads.

https://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=12735&highlight=old+back+to+houses+in+wincobank-60s&page=9

---------- Post added 18-05-2017 at 20:05 ----------

http://www.cufos.org/UFO_History_Gro…/1953_03_07_History.pdf

Some great old Wincobank history here mentions George Moverley and his son.

Edited by tara

I moved to Barrow Rd and my dad bought the handyman stores on the corner, about 1965 or 1966. Went to wincobank school then Hinde House. Wondering if any one was around at this time.. Can rember neighbours, the Currs, Alan Gatsby and all the other shop owners. They include a fruit shop a butchers that sold the best pork rolls and think there was a linen store, not sure. The pub was opposite and I used to watch all the happy people leaving at all hours through my bed room window, I was about 11.I loved it at winckobank it was poor but safe and my freedom as a kid was limitless. 

My name is Ken Wright seen the post about Wincobank County School winning the United Shield in 1956. If you have the photo from left to right, not sure about the 1st person, but from there you have Tony Cotton, Jim Richardson, Fred Wakefield, Terry Bickerstaffe, (me) Ken Wright, David Walker. Front row Mr Joe Andrews, John O'Hara, Albert Nelson, Trevor Flavell, Head Teacher Mr R.S.Woods , Kneeling we have Bob Dickenson left and Terry Brown right.  I used to live at 94 Barrow Road. The shop at the bottom of Vauxhall Road was owned by the Blakey family.  Did not have regular opening hours, if we wanted anything we used to go to the back door. The son (who's name I cannot remember) lost both legs in the war, he had quite a few full sets of cigarette cards. Our neighbours were Mr & Mrs Taylor