Wincobank born and bred

hello to you lovely people in sheffield my mother is fan worthington she now lives in aylesbury

Hello there Ladyman, welcome to the forum.

Dannybwoy,I was adopted by wincobank in 1974 (from Parson Cross) and these are some names from the 60s, all Newman Rd numbers 154 Smarts,152 Tidy,150 Holmes,148 Crosbie(my inlaws),146 Bickerstaff/Walker,144 Leigh,142 Wright,140 ?,138 Cheetam,136 Eyres,134 Taylors,132 Birch,130 ?,128 Pinnings. Young Harold Holmes now lives just up from the shop /ex Naseem Hamed:headbang::headbang:

i remember bob crosby work at arthur lees i think he lived opposite the school

Hi alwoolen, it wasn't Bob but John Crosbie that lived opposite the school on the corner of Newman rd and Barkby rd (he was my father inlaw )and his wife was Ivy. I lived with them for a couple of years when i married their daughter Karen.

Ps. i also worked at Arthur Lees along with 2 brothers with the surname Woolen ??

Hi alwoolen, it wasn't Bob but John Crosbie that lived opposite the school on the corner of Newman rd and Barkby rd (he was my father inlaw )and his wife was Ivy. I lived with them for a couple of years when i married their daughter Karen.

Ps. i also worked at Arthur Lees along with 2 brothers with the surname Woolen ??

george was a wire drawer and charlie worked the wire warehouse both my brothers

i worked in the cold rolling for a while but my brothers worked there all there lives

Yes it was your brothers i worked with, George taught me how to operate a "Schumag" wire drawing machine and Charlie was the slinger/ crane driver.

If i remember rightly Charlie lived opposite the Wharncliffe pub on Beavercoats road.

My father in law John (jack) Crosbie was the head roller on FZ1 rolling cold rolling machine for about 40 years.

Re the shop opposite may branwoods it was a grocery shop run by charlie webb, he was a bookie in the days when it was illegal he got raided one saturday afternoon after he had shut the shop, a little old lady had gone to the back door to place a bet and was sat in a chair when the police broke in she dropped her betting slip on the floor a policewoman picked it up and asked her if it was her's she denied it was and they let let her go. Before may branwood got the shop it was run by a horace cook who always wore a brown overall he was a deadly enemy of charlie webb and was blamed for reporting the illegall bookmaker

Never knew wincobank had a car named after it,how interseting :)

I used to live on Forthill Road until 11 years ago when i left home.

Bought my house on forthill rd no 33 ! all went pear shaped and ended up on deerlands ave then moved to jedburgh st only went for xmas dinner and stopped 12 months!!!!!:hihi:

You knew my family Gethro? I am the eldest of 5 lads, my father was Eric Leversidge.

You knew my family Gethro? I am the eldest of 5 lads, my father was Eric Leversidge.

Hi Dave Lev, Yes I knew all your family. We grew up together on Newman Road. They lived at no 75, we lived next door at no 77. I have photo somewhere of your dad and me riding up Newman Rd on our pushbikes in the early 50's?. and another one (somewhere) with your G/dad, Nan, uncle Joe and auntie Hazel and others, taken during the war ( about 1942, I think.)

I'll try and find them out, then I'll PM you.

That's great stuff Gethro!! I knew nothing of uncle Joe, other than he was a good cyclist. My father told me stories of Joe beating him and my father stabbing him in the arm with scissors! He also told me that he hit is dad with a spade!! Mind you, I can believe it with what we endured.

---------- Post added 12-10-2014 at 23:46 ----------

Gethro; We've been popping in and out of the hospital for over a week as my mother-in-law had an angina attack. I lost your number and because I have not posted 5 times I cannot private message you. If you want to send those photos, please send them to 21 jewitt road, kimberworth park, rotherham, s613hq...many thanks, I am grateful to you.