Labour party callers leaving 'sorry we missed you' flyers

I just wondered if anyone else had a note put through the door saying that representatives of the Labour party had tried to call in to speak to them? We received one the other day but they did not even knock! (we were both in and heard the leaflet come through the door). The fact that they couldn't even be bothered to knock makes me wonder just how much they want our votes...

As I have been effectively disenfranchised and moved from Hillsborough (we'd been going a bit liberal) and moved into Blunkettcliffe, let me tell the main parties: no visit, no vote. And flyers won't count in the light of the above posting

As I have been effectively disenfranchised and moved from Hillsborough (we'd been going a bit liberal) and moved into Blunkettcliffe, let me tell the main parties: no visit, no vote. And flyers won't count in the light of the above posting
I'm no supporter of Labour in Sheffield as they seem to take their voters for granted and as if by right but I'm always a bit curious when people make this sort of remark. Who do you want to visit you? The candidate her/himself? An activist? and why? what purpose do you think it would serve to get a personal visit?

As the candidates can have no idea who you are out of the however many thousands of electors in the Constituency, you should ring and make an appointment, so that they can be sure to avoid your mealtimes or fave TV progs? :D

Edited by rubydazzler
add a bit for clarity

I just wondered if anyone else had a note put through the door saying that representatives of the Labour party had tried to call in to speak to them? We received one the other day but they did not even knock! (we were both in and heard the leaflet come through the door). The fact that they couldn't even be bothered to knock makes me wonder just how much they want our votes...

I haven't had one of those, but did have an actual Labour canvasser knocking and asking if I wanted the Candidate to call later in the week. Had to decline though as I couldn't think of anything I wanted to ask and I'd probably be washing my hair anyway.

We have had leaflets from Labour, Greens, Lib Dem, None of them knocked

and we have not had knock or leaflet from the Cons. So as far as I can see

they are all acting in the same way.

I'm always a bit curious when people make this sort of remark. Who do you want to visit you? The candidate her/himself? An activist? and why? what purpose do you think it would serve to get a personal visit?

As the candidates can have no idea who you are out of the however many thousands of electors in the Constituency, you should ring and make an appointment, so that they can be sure to avoid your mealtimes or fave TV progs? :D

It's quite a simple concept, dear. They want a job for the next five years, they come and visit their would-be constituents and find out their concerns. Not just me, all of us. It's called democracy, I believe.

If they took that trouble, I wouldn't even mind breaking off from my dinner to listen to them :)

It's quite a simple concept, dear. They want a job for the next five years, they come and visit their would-be constituents and find out their concerns. Not just me, all of us. It's called democracy, I believe. If they took that trouble, I wouldn't even mind breaking off from my dinner to listen to them :)
Are you aware of how many people/households there are in a constituency, dear? :rolleyes: That's why would-be councillors and MPs spend time and money on producing leaflets about themseles and their policies, and supporters give up hours of their own free time to deliver to people, most of whom throw them into the wpb without even looking, and then come and moan about not being informed on fora like this one.

If you really want the candidates to come and meet you and all the people in your area, why not arrange a hustings and invite them to come along and talk to you? It could easily be arranged, I'm sure.

There was a time when candidates would hold public meetings, and they could get quite lively. Nowadays the only meetings they hold, if any, are with an invited (tame) audience, usually primed with the appropriate questions.

The only leaflets we've had are from the Lib/Dems, not a thing from anyone else, so I've no idea who else is standing.

Is my maths right? I'm not very good at calculating :blush:

bystander wants candidates for his valuable vote to come and speak to him personally, and everyone one else. There's an average of 100,000 people in each constituency, probably around 60,000 households, so:-

Allow 10 minutes for each household = 600000 minutes divided by 60 = 10000 hours, say 5 x 6 hour days = 333 weeks, (four weeks holiday per year) so divide by 48 = 6.94 years.

They wouldn't get much else done would they, during the life of a Parliament? And they've only had less than 2 months notice of the GE ... not really feasible, is it?:help:

There was a time when candidates would hold public meetings, and they could get quite lively. Nowadays the only meetings they hold, if any, are with an invited (tame) audience, usually primed with the appropriate questions.
Candidates stopped having public meetings when audiences started dwindling, as there was no point in talking to rows of empty seats. I don't know what meetings there are with a 'tame' audience? Can you give some examples, venues, parties concerned etc?

As you may have guessed, in the past, I've been intensely involved in local politics and up to about 5 years ago I had quite an informed knowledge of proceedings. However, these days, I don't get involved. My time's too valuable to waste it delivering leaflets in all weathers to ungrateful people who throw them in the bin in front of your face! :D

Labour - want our votes do they - well theres no chance from me !!

"Sorry we missed you" sounds like a description of the 13 years in power.