Mobile camera on parkway last night

from what u've descibed mate i think it was just the grey box (on the markets exit, where the van normally parks) which is totally harmless even to the most sensitive of 9 point license.

either that or i've blown me full 12 points in one week... erm actually, 365 days in a year, i pass it at over 50 mph twice a day, how long do u think i'll get inside for that?

oh well, happy new year from strangeways.

Originally posted by Henrietta

Is it not a 40mph limit on the Parkway :suspect:

you don't drive, do you?

The parkway is a 70 limit from the motorway to asda, a 50 from asda to just past matalan and a 40 from there until a few yards shy of the roundabout, it's actually a 30 limit on the roundabout itself.

The fixed camera in the 40 zone is active today, I'd noted this fact with my detector just as someone came flying past me (well, probably doing 50 anyway) and flash flash. Just so long as the police are smart enough to know which car triggered it as I was doing about 36 at the time and will also be in the picture on the left.

this little **** got me a few weeks back.... good job i got off with it though :D

Originally posted by Dane

this little **** got me a few weeks back.... good job i got off with it though :D

I bet you spoke too soon - the summons will be landing on your doorstep on Tuesday - remember the post is behind due to Xmas and all the bank holidays!

I was driving to work this morning in a 30mph zone, doing 30mph, when I was overtaken by the mobile speed camera van!

I did think about takign a picture of them and sending them a demand for £60, but I was too busy driving to do that!

Who polices them? I think they should have been setting a good example to us all!

I was driving to work this morning in a 30mph zone, doing 30mph, when I was overtaken by the mobile speed camera van!

I did think about takign a picture of them and sending them a demand for £60, but I was too busy driving to do that!

Who polices them? I think they should have been setting a good example to us all!

ive had that aswell, i tried to grab a pic too... was after its reg plate to reoprt it, but was too fast!

Here's a novel way to avoid speed camera fines...

....DON'T DRIVE FASTER THAN THE SPEED LIMIT....

Call me crazy but it's worked for me. Once I ignored this advice and I got 3 points and a fine :( .

We have laws to (help) create a civilised society - if you disagree with a particular law, write to your MP, lobby your local councillor, keep trying...form a pressure group, stage a protest, stand at the next national or local elections or support someone who has the same views/opinions as you believe in.

You can't just break a law because you don't like it.

I've heard that murderers have been whinging on about how they "feel so oppressed that the poice are out to stop them".....hrummmpphhhh.

That is not always the case, it is very easy to slip over the limit in force especially on a road such as the Sheffield Parkway, people tend to drive at what is comforable, and a limit for a road should be choosen on the speed that people tend to drive, notably the 85th percentile in most cases, unless there are other factors such as junctions ect to consider.

I work in road safety and traffic management, and am of the view that cameras should be used in a certain manners and are most cost effective if advertised by trafic signs dircetly before the area running up to the camera. The Parkway is designed to a 70mph standard, has no pedestrian crossings, and there is certainly no need for camera at the Manor junction at 8pm at night. I am in favour of cameras at certain spots and this is not one, this is the camera partnership making money or putting on a show after a fatal acident, which is more likely to be caused on such a road by some lunatic loosing control travelling at excessive speeds around the corner just after the camera site.

The bull they try and force down our throats about certain camera sites reducing accidents and fatalities can be over aggagerated easily by a thing called "regression to the mean". This is basically when you get a cluster of accidents in a period that spikes and following the data they decide to put a camera at that location. The following year they release the statitics of how much that camera has lowered the accidents and fatals, but these show a unfair picture becuase after you get a spike in accidents, the following year is much more likely to have a lower cluster anyway as the stats go back closer to the average for a normal year.

Also things such as heaveir traffic on certain roads make driving safer by slowing people down, many things come into affect, the goverment and the camera partenership making out the camera did it is bull.

I am in favour of cameras, but as for the Sheffield Parkway, I say no. Other traffic management constraints should always be tried before a camera, one of my preffered but maybe not one of yours is vertical and horizontal deflections, which would obviously not be suitable for the Parkway, but enhacing the signing could be a start as its very bad on the Parkway.

what traffic management measures would you recommend on the parkway, then?

I also have traffic management, road safety and safety camera experience.

Most of the 'facts' thrown around in this thread are utterly and completely wrong.

where?

when?

what type of van?

why can't the parkway have a variable limit, like (notably) the M25.

50 on the inbound stretch during rush hour is too hire, 50 on the outbound stretch at mid sunday afternoon is unreasonably low.

where?

when?

what type of van?

08:45 (ish), 4 March (ish)

Attercliffe

White Van with yellow and orange stripes on the back, "Camera Partnership" logo on the side

maybe they could increase speed limits in the non residential sections of Penistone Road while their at it?