Been let down twice on forum

As a landlord, I get this all the time. I always arrange at least 4 or 5 people to come out now for any work on the basis that I'll be lucky if 2 or 3 turn up.

If you need a very reliable plumber ring my husband Chris who is TPS Plumbers in Bents Grren

His details are in the Directory.

He won't let you down

07808 763 784

Les

Ok i think your all being a bit unreasonable i've had people let me down before with things but in the end instead of getting peed off i just re list it.

I know i've let people down before but i havent meant too and i dont think i've ever let anyone down when i've arranged to pick things up etc. There are many reasons someone cant reply

. lost net connection

. in hospital?

. on holiday?

. lost the contact name due to accidental post delete? (ive done this a few times and i now save my messages before deleting)

. or even forgetful?

Its not nice but there could be realy good reasons for not replying.

What does nark me off is people with prices...i think it needs to be explained what "no offer" means or "ONO -or NEAREST offer" that means you dont ask if you can pay £50 for an item thats up for £250 - yes ive had that one done many times.

I had my nails done by someone on here.... 1st she took nearlly 3 hours to do them.... in that time she spilt some sort of product on my table (which is barnd new and cost me over 400quid) and it stripped it, then the nails were that bad i had to rip them off. i rang and asked her to come back, she said she would, but a week later..... guess what never turned up....... i text her and she said she was sorry she would come later in the week. (i gave her the benefit of the doubt)..... o guess what again she didnt come back. I text her stating that i was most upset with her and that i didnt want her to come back as she had made a rite mess of my nails. whish i could name and shame at this point ........ hummmmmmm i carnt.

Now i use Sam from nails-a-more at chesterfield.... but she is mobile as well, and she is fab. never any problems at all. would never use the forum one again,

As a landlord, I get this all the time. I always arrange at least 4 or 5 people to come out now for any work on the basis that I'll be lucky if 2 or 3 turn up.

So, what do you do if more than one workman shows?

Does only one of them get paid?

But if it was on an external site then that would be a different kettle of fish??!

And you think that posting a link to a site with potentially libellous (but unconfirmable) information on the forum rather than posting the information on the forum itself will make anyone who feels that they are being defamed less likely to try to hold the forum owner responsible for the information being posted?

You've been told not to do it, so if you do it and find your account suspended you won't be surprised, will you?

Just a rant as to why certain people on Forum,let you down? Twice i've advertised for someone to fit a kitchen door for me,and twice i've been let down by the people who've said they could do the job for me.Why respond to my ad,if they're not going to bother turning up,and not even have the decency to return messages left for them? :rant::rant::rant:

were you offering to pay them or did you expect them to do it for free? or perhaps you live in a dodgy area and people are reluctant to go there after dark.

And you think that posting a link to a site with potentially libellous (but unconfirmable) information on the forum rather than posting the information on the forum itself will make anyone who feels that they are being defamed less likely to try to hold the forum owner responsible for the information being posted?

You've been told not to do it, so if you do it and find your account suspended you won't be surprised, will you?

So you'd be suspending people now for linking to the BBC if they post a story that someone might consider libellous? And consider is the important word, anyone might find consider anything about them libellous.

The person who made a libellous posting is the only one a court would consider to be guilty of libel. Particularly if you respond promptly to any complaints and remove a comment whilst the injured party takes action.

Or is the BBC okay? Where is the line drawn?

I wish you'd not repeat the line about 'good legal reasons' as if there were a law against criticism. It's a forum rule, fine, but it's mainly because you don't understand how libel works, not for 'good legal reasons'.

We're not against criticism- we're against targets trying to make us defend something which is posted by forum users and which we cannot possibly have enough information to defend.

I understand exactly how the libel laws work thank you. End of discussion.

This is also interesting, it could be that as a forum libel is completely irrelevant

The High Court has ruled that defamation on internet bulletin boards is akin to slander rather than libel.

Mr Justice Eady hearing a case regarding posts on an investors bulletin board (or forum) has said that such comments are not to be taken in the same context as a formal newspaper (etc) article and are more like slander due to the casual or conversational nature of them.

Mr Justice Eady stated that posts on bulletin boards "are rather like contributions to a casual conversation (the analogy sometimes being drawn with people chatting in a bar) which people simply note before moving on; they are often uninhibited, casual and ill thought out...Those who participate know this and expect a certain amount of repartee or 'give and take'."

As such "When considered in the context of defamation law, therefore, communications of this kind are much more akin to slanders (this cause of action being nowadays relatively rare) than to the usual, more permanent kind of communications found in libel actions...People do not often take a 'thread' and go through it as a whole like a newspaper article. They tend to read the remarks, make their own contributions if they feel inclined, and think no more about it."

Sorry posted that before seeing your post declaring the topic closed.

Sorry posted that before seeing your post declaring the topic closed.

If it's closed there is little more to say.