Living on Arbourthorne, whats it really like?

Please tell me why. I have family that has just moved on to that road.

There used to be a lot of youths who would hang around drinking/smoking pot at the top of the footpath between Edenhall and City Road. But as my post above states, it does seem to have got better since a camera was installed at the top of the footpath.

There used to be a lot of youths who would hang around drinking/smoking pot at the top of the footpath between Edenhall and City Road. But as my post above states, it does seem to have got better since a camera was installed at the top of the footpath.

Thanks for that. I have seen people sat in the road on kitchen chairs drinking beer before now.

Thanks everyone for your reply's, its East Bank road im planning on moving onto. I will have a drive dwn again sometime and check out the street at night as i've only seen it in the day

Thanks everyone for your reply's, its East Bank road im planning on moving onto. I will have a drive dwn again sometime and check out the street at night as i've only seen it in the day

My brother lived on there for a few years. My mate still does live on there. Is it a private move or Council? Isn't it posible to have a nose round the house itself and check what the neighbours are like and such? It sounds like the move is optional, so it's better to be safe than sorry, especially where the neighbours are concerned. :hihi:

My brother lived on there for a few years. My mate still does live on there. Is it a private move or Council? Isn't it posible to have a nose round the house itself and check what the neighbours are like and such? It sounds like the move is optional, so it's better to be safe than sorry, especially where the neighbours are concerned. :hihi:

It's council move, It is optional but the area on Batemoor where i live is getting worse. Plus its in between where my mom lives and my partners mom so it would make it easier to visit them both.

If you dont make the move and, like you say, your area is getting worse, you could end up regretting NOT going. If that happens and your'e lucky enough to get another offer from the council, it might end up being somewhere far, far worse.

I'd say check it out and go for it.

Good luck! :)

If you dont make the move and, like you say, your area is getting worse, you could end up regretting NOT going. If that happens and your'e lucky enough to get another offer from the council, it might end up being somewhere far, far worse.

I'd say check it out and go for it.

Good luck! :)

Yeah your right, :), were going to drive up 2day and check some areas out but we've both decided it's a move to make after all the only way this part of Batemoor is going at the moment is down

sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. I think you will be fine. The only problem with the shops is kids asking for booze and fags, when you refuse to go in the shop for em they can get a bit abusive. I just try and avoid the shops too late anyway wherever I am. Its the same on heeley. I also agree with edenhall not been very nice but that won't effect you. Good luck

Lived there for 16 or so years and it was great, it all depends if your at the top end or bottom end of Arbourthorne to be totally honest.

i live on arbo rd too (the bit whre the 51 bus goes) and its pretty quiet - it has its moments like most places but generally is ok. my kids dont go to school round here though, so cant tell you what schools are like. the only problem with east bank road, is if you live near the takeaway/shop/chinese there tends to be gangs of teens hanging around all hours of the day and they can be pretty intimidating.

good luck ;)

lived up here on arbourthorne near east bank road and i should say that you should be fine ,but its true about the shops later on in the day so i would avoid that but we hav never really had any problems up here

I am a councillor for Arbourthorne ward.

Some information about Arbourthorne -

It's actually a great place to live. I know a guy on Algar Drive who moved there from Fulwood and he just loves having moved to Arbourthorne.

I attend the monthly police Neighbourhood Action Group meetings and can confirm that crime has been significantly reduced and is no worse than many other parts of the city.

About 18 moths ago, I formed an Edenhall Road Project Group. I meet monthly with the police, Sheffield Homes and other agencies. We have just brought two empty homes on Edenhall Road back into occupation. No 33 is hopefully on track to being brought back into use, and we have recently completed new front fencing and gate to the property.

We've also installed 2 cctv cameras. One is on City Road which focusses on the gennel, and the other is at the end of the gennell on Edenhall Road itself. This has stopped the street drinkers gathering and virtually all anti-social behaviour.

We're installing new railings around the Arbourthorne Centre, which has also had an internal lick of paint, and we've planted spring bulbs (now in flower). We're hoping to relocate the electricity sub-station from the back of Arbourthorne Centre. We're improving the lighting on the gennel, will resurface the gennel footpath, put in a new litter bin near Albert's Chippy, and the Community Forester has been up to the site to meet me, and in time we will have a wild flower meadow and trees planted at the City Road end of the gennel.

The 5M houses (that's the flat-roofed houses) are all coming down, as they are too expensive to modernise. Some of the flats on Errington are also coming down, to make way for the new medical centre (which will be near the bus stop on East Bank Road) and new older people's accommodation - which, hopefully, will include about a half a dozen bungalows. Later on, new housing will replace the demolished properties.

The Spires Centre on East Bank Road goes from strength to strength, and ward councillors have helped with grants for double glazing, a hot food trolley for the luncheon club, plus outside tables and chairs for the coffee shop.

There is now a vibrant Arbourthorne Community Forum with a regular newsletter delivered across the estate. The Arbourthorne Centre runs keep fit activities for older people, a youth club, a family history group and UK Online computer sessions. Again, ward councillors have helped secure various grants for these community organisations.

I have helped set up a Friends of Arbourthorne Pond Group, and a new and specially designed perimeter fence will soon be erected on Eastern Avenue - which will make the fishing pond an even better local attraction.

I have close connections with Arbourthorne Community Primary School and Norfolk Community Primary School (which a lot of Arbourthorne children attend). Both schools have had fantastic Ofsted inspections, as has Tiddlywinks Children's Centre. The new Springs Academy has admittedly had teething problems, but it is oversubscribed and academic pass rates continue to improve. I've just helped the Academy secure a £1k grant for the pupils to start an innovative garden project.

Now that the Decent Homes compound has gone, following modernisation of the council houses (all with double glazing, central heating, etc.), I've just set up a group to get funds for new playground equipment on the playing fields. We're going to consult with the school children and residents to see what is wanted, then match it to what can be afforded, and we hope that by this time next year, we'll have somewhere decent for the kids to play.

Only a fortnight ago, we planted two mature trees outside the Beacon church and another one on Northern Avenue shops (where we have also installed a cctv camera). This is in addition to the many trees planted along East Bank Road and elsewhere in Arbourthorne. We spend £15k a year on extra tree planting schemes in Arbourthorne - as we want the estate to continue to look greener and greener.

Someone mentioned problems around the Byards Leap pub. We're well aware of some anti-social behaviour in the Daresbury/Berners/Villiers area, and we have installed a cctv camera there too, plus taking other measures.

Arbourthorne has an ancient woodland, Buck Wood, which will shortly have the bluebells flowering in masses again. Arbourthorne has fantastic views of the city centre and the Derbyshire hills (which are purple with heather later in the year).

Arbourthorne is well placed for local shopping (Northern Avenue, Manor Top, Newfield Green), has a library at Manor Top (which is in Arbourthorne ward - as are all the shops on City Road as it happens) and frequent bus routes into the city centre (51 & 48) plus the tram - which a stop at Arbourthorne Road.

Now ..... don't all rush at once to live in Arbourthorne. :)

But to the OP and anyone else moving to live here - you're about to discover one of the city's best kept secrets: Arbourthorne is a great place to live! :thumbsup: