Is the council tax office always so inept?

Capita has the job by putting in the lowest tender, they then have to reduce costs further to make a profit for their shareholders. They do this by paying low wages and employing fewer people than they really need. This results in huge turnover of staff who even if they are trained are mostly just new to the job. If this job was done by a public service they wouldn't have to make a profit and would keep their staff longer.

Capita has the job by putting in the lowest tender, they then have to reduce costs further to make a profit for their shareholders. They do this by paying low wages and employing fewer people than they really need. This results in huge turnover of staff who even if they are trained are mostly just new to the job. If this job was done by a public service they wouldn't have to make a profit and would keep their staff longer.

How do you know that Capita put in the lowest price at the tender process?

answers simple bunch of Idiots

I agree Mike84 if you pay peanuts you get MONKEYS

sorry Mike84 my reply was meant for Duckweed

to the OP.

when you didnt get a bill for 4 months did you assume you where getting free months?

if not. why did you not stick the monthly amount in a savings account so it was there when the inevitable bill came?

How do you know that Capita put in the lowest price at the tender process?

I'd be a bit concerned if they didn't given that they are performing so badly, surely they won it either on the quality of the service being offered or the price!

I'd be a bit concerned if they didn't given that they are performing so badly, surely they won it either on the quality of the service being offered or the price!

tender evaluation takes into account loads of points other than price and quality, in this case, the council will have set out lots of areas for the companies bidding for the contract to demonstrate and evidence.

Capita have the contract at the moment, I doubt in the time they have been running the tax / housing benefit service they have had the opportunity to change many of the processes, computer software, staff, infrastructure that they inherited from Liberata.

They do this work for lots of other councils across the country and must have gained some experience of making services better.

tender evaluation takes into account loads of points other than price and quality, in this case, the council will have set out lots of areas for the companies bidding for the contract to demonstrate and evidence.

Capita have the contract at the moment, I doubt in the time they have been running the tax / housing benefit service they have had the opportunity to change many of the processes, computer software, staff, infrastructure that they inherited from Liberata.

They do this work for lots of other councils across the country and must have gained some experience of making services better.

My understanding is that the Council specify a contract which will have specific targets (presumably in line with the Performance Measurements set by Central Government) that all companies bidding for must agree to meet.

The companies will submit a price they can do it for and if all those bidding state the same level of service then the cheapest should win (unless they cannot demonstrate experience in the area of work).

If Capita have said they can offer more then Yes I would agree they don't have to be the cheapest.

The problem here is that the recent report published by the Sheffield Star indicates that they aren't meeting the targets of the contract, which should lead to penalties in my opinion.

Regarding the Computer Software, I understood that both the Council Tax and HOusing Benefit departments were using the Academy system which is owned by Capita.

I'm afraid there is no excuse for the poor service other than they agreed the cheapest price possible and the good people of Sheffield need to get used to this.

to the OP.

when you didnt get a bill for 4 months did you assume you where getting free months?

if not. why did you not stick the monthly amount in a savings account so it was there when the inevitable bill came?

I'd never paid council tax before then and was unsure on the amount.

I obviously didn't expect 4 free months, but at the same time I wasn't anticipating them taking 4 months payment out in one lump sum. After just purchasing your first property it wasn't a welcome course of action, especially after I phoned them and agreed that they would'nt do that.

SCC office is full of rude , appalling 'chav like' telephonists who are verys unhelpful and clueless!

give answers like ' i cant really elp ya then ' bla h blah

disgraceful!