Primary School appeal

My daughter has been refused a place at all three prefered schools.

I was wondering if anyone had appealed before and been successful/ unsucsessful?

It will be an infant class size appeal - I know it is extremely difficult to win these, and only in exceptional circumstances has a place been given.

Does anyone know what counts as an exceptional case?

Any information/advice on school appeals would be much appreciated

I can't help but my child was refused her first two preferences and the school she has got into is ages away! I don't drive so i will have to get a bus into town and one back out - near impossible for 9am! I am also wanting to appeal i think but didn't it would be worth it? Advice would be good for me as well.

That's really bad, is there not another one closer to you that you could apply for?

I'm not sure about your situation. I suppose it will depend on your reason for wanting your child to attend that school. When I was on teaching practice, a few years ago, a child was granted a place which took the infant class size over 30 because an older sibling already attended the school. I suppose the arguement was that it would be very difficult to take them to different schools.

I would appeal, you have nothing to lose.

From what i have read so far appeals have a good chance of being over turned if you have a valid case for wanting your child to attend your prefered school over the allocated one. If it is at a primary school it is almost impossible as the law says max 30 children.

I do have several reasons for not wanting my son to go to his allocated school, in fact i have about 30.

I think the whole process of school appeals is made so complicated just to put people off :-(

I'm in the same position, all three preferences turned down due to class size. From what I hear it's nearly impossible to appeal against class size for primary. You can get a list of what other schools have places left - they don't have to be any of the ones you have chosen - and apply for one of those. Also if you ring/email the primary school's service they will tell you how far down the waiting list your child is for your chosen schools. My son is second on the list for one of his (14th and 11th on the others). If your child is near the top of the waiting list, it's possible that they might get in anyway...

oh i didn't know that. Im going to give them a ring - knowing my luck i will be bottom of list.

Are you going to try and appeal? were you in the catchment area? which primary did you want?

I didn't apply for the school that my child is in the catchment area for - Abbeydale Primary. In hindsight, knowing that schools are oversubscribed, I could have guessed that he would be given a place there as opposed to the other ones I applied for. I'm going to look round Abbeydale on Friday (didn't look round as I thought that you definitely got a place at one of your chosed schools!) So I'm going to decide what to do after that....What about you?

I applied for schools outside of my catchment area, thinking if i was rejected for all three she would be sent to the local school. However this was not the case. she has been allocated a place out of catchment area and not one of my preferences.

so i have sent in an application to appeal one of the schools i was rejected for.

Im going to look round the allocated school see what i think, incase appeal is not successful. The OFSTED repoty for the allocated school does not paint a pretty picture.

I didn't look around any of the schools before hand as it would have been a waste of time, as allocation is kinda look of the draw

I am in the middle of appealing all three of the schools I have chosen for my child. I was just wondering if anyone has appealed in previous years and been successful. It seems like a thankless task with little or no hope!!

hi

The same situation happened to us, we applied for 3 primary schools all out of our catchment area. we got refused on all 3 and allocated Hartley Brook Primary , which we looked up and sounds awful. We put in an appeal and we are currently awaiting the outcome they said it would take upto 7 days to recieve the decision letter. So we are currently keeping everything crossed. I will keep you updated with the response. Feeling very stressed is the understatment of the year !!!!!!

I has my appeal on tuesday, it was terrifying.

I am also awaiting a reply... very nervous.

If the appeal has not been over turned im going to home school my child, as the allocated school is not good at all. I went to have a look round and it didn't even look like a school - it would be so unfair to send my child there.

I have my fingers and toes crossed.