Charles and Diana house brick!

Whist tidying up my garden today I found a house brick, so i picked it up and was about to put it in the bin when my brother notcied it said london on it. On further investigtion we found that it looked like some sort of Charles and Diana wedding memorabilla. Just wondered if anyone knew anything about this has I have no idea x

We lived in Coventry at the time of their wedding and the newly built houses on the estate next to us had these bricks built into their walls.

It was made by the London Brick Company....based in Stewartby Bedfordshire.

Both my father and me worked for LBC and indeed these bricks were made as commemoratives to be used rather than be kept as souvenirs.

Are you going to keep it?

Edited by julado

Scroll down link for information..

There is one also for sale on e-bay....starting price £15.

My Dad and me worked at the one mentioned in Newton Longville....just outside Bletchley in Milton Keynes. And there is a chance my Dad "cooked" that brick you have.

Edited by julado

I have no idea of what to do with it to be honest! My dad wants to sell it but I have no idea how to go about doing it.

Put it on E-bay....like the one already there....starting at £15 with about £13 postage...though I doubt if anyone will want to pay nearly £30 for it.

Put it on E-bay....like the one already there....starting at £15 with about £13 postage...though I doubt if anyone will want to pay nearly £30 for it.

Do you have any idea how many such bricks were made? I'd guess it would be in the tens of thousands, if not even higher - but if there's someone out there on Ebay who thinks it's a rare item, they might.

I have no idea of what to do with it to be honest! My dad wants to sell it but I have no idea how to go about doing it.

Offer it for sale in the Daily Mail. Anything to do with Diana they'll go nuts for...:D

It was made by the London Brick Company....based in Stewartby Bedfordshire.

Both my father and me worked for LBC and indeed these bricks were made as commemoratives to be used rather than be kept as souvenirs.

Are you going to keep it?

I hope the houses lasted longer than the marriage.

Do you have any idea how many such bricks were made? I'd guess it would be in the tens of thousands, if not even higher - but if there's someone out there on Ebay who thinks it's a rare item, they might.

The average house will contain about 20,000 of them. But those sort of numbers didn't stop idiots paying daft money for 20Ps, even the ones WITH a date on them.

Not sure how many....but if you read the linky I put earlier it says that there was one produced in every 12...so that means eleven ordinary ones and one C&D one.....and the machine that made them spent a week at each location - can't remember exactly how many.....can't have been more than about 12 sites or so from memory.

It's a high output industry...I can't give a figure of how many bricks were made.....of either type.

What I do know is that the special bricks were then grouped with ordinary bricks and stacked into the blocks you then buy....so unless anyone actually wanted to search for one they would have just been used to build same as any other brick. I would imagine that bricklayers might have acquired their own personal souvenir....a momento of the day and of the job they did at the time.

Most of them would now be standing in perfectly serviceable buildings....it's only 30 years ago. Give it another 50 years maybe when these building start to be demolished and replaced that we may begin to see more of them...should anyone at that time be bothered to actually go and look through piles of rubble to find one. :D

I hope the houses lasted longer than the marriage.

:hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi: Sick but true.