Where to take almost 4 year old for days out?

astra bound at doncaster on wheatley hall road huge indoor play area my little one loves it.

Kirklees light railway (junc 38 M1) - check out their website for dates of special events. The train journey is about 20 mins between the two stations, they have play areas at both stations and a decent cafe too.

Yorkshire mining museum - not far from Kirklees light railway, you can also go underground.

Yorkshire Wildlife Park, Doncaster - quite a lot to do with some undercover areas to sit and eat and kids to play. The lions aren't out yet but they have quite a few different animals, pleasantly surprised at how good it was. Only downside was the cafe, you can't get a decent cup of tea because it's all machine drinks and it was very expensive. Tip: take a picnic.

Rother Valley - car park is quite expensive especially if you don't intend staying very long. They have a minature railway no too. Tip: go with friends in the summer and have a bbq/picnic

Newmillerdam and Sandal Castle - i've put them both together because they're not far from each other. Junc 39 M1. Newmillerdam is a lovely walk, quite a large pay and display car park and very reasonably priced. There are two pubs that do good food and family meals. Sandal Castle is set back off Barnsley rd and there not a huge amount to do it's a pleasant walk. Also very close by is Pugneys Water Park, very similar to Rother Valley.

Hemsworth Water Park - Barnsley way, plenty for the kids to do.

Magna - at almost 4 years old he'll love the outdoor play area.

I think there's a website called visit yorkshire and i'm sure they have lots of ideas too. Further afield there's Eurika, Harewood House, Bolton Abbey, Pickering (steam trains), Dalby Forest (just outside Scarborough).

Graves park is free, and there should be baby animals around this time of year too :)

Hi I run a school holiday club that is part of a nursery I would recommend the western park museum http://www.museums-sheffield.org.uk/coresite/html/WPM.asp it's free and has lots of different things for them to explore. There is also bowling for a 1p at the hollywood bowl in school holidays if you go between 9am and 9.30 http://www.hollywoodbowl.co.uk/news.php?id=103 for a penny you can't go wrong :) hope this helps

Thanks everyone, so brilliant ideas there - will give them a try!

We went to lightwater valley this week with my 5 & 4 year old and they loved it.

Weston Park Museum is always a good trip out, there are lots of activities that a 4 year old would love and it's free :o)

The cafe in there is a tad expensive tho so if you're not looking to spend much, fill up before you go!

Rivelin Valley is nice too, a nice easy walk for the young uns, park area, not too expensive cafe and if you take a fishing net you might catch a few tiddlers in the stream

Yeah. Weston Park Museum is the business and free.

The big screen will keep them entertained for a while as they play around with the bean bags and dress up in bug costumes!

The cafe is dear, but there is usualy an ice cream van at the gates! Sorted! :)

I'm going a bit far out here and a bit more expensive, but we went to Gullivers Kingdom (Malton-jct 28 on M1) yesterday and absoutley loved it! There was only two rides that my 3 year old couldn't go on. As long as accompanied-there are loads of rides for the young ones. It cost us £12.50 for both adult and children).

It wasn't busy either-got on rides straight away.

I'm going a bit far out here and a bit more expensive, but we went to Gullivers Kingdom (Malton-jct 28 on M1) yesterday and absoutley loved it! There was only two rides that my 3 year old couldn't go on. As long as accompanied-there are loads of rides for the young ones. It cost us £12.50 for both adult and children).

It wasn't busy either-got on rides straight away.

It's great at this time of year (dodgy weather).

Come Summertime you can't get near the place (low capacity).

Top tip for now, but could be a recipe for tears in the Summer if you are'nt early birds. ;)

Kirklees light railway (junc 38 M1) - check out their website for dates of special events. The train journey is about 20 mins between the two stations, they have play areas at both stations and a decent cafe too.

Yorkshire mining museum - not far from Kirklees light railway, you can also go underground.

Yorkshire Wildlife Park, Doncaster - quite a lot to do with some undercover areas to sit and eat and kids to play. The lions aren't out yet but they have quite a few different animals, pleasantly surprised at how good it was. Only downside was the cafe, you can't get a decent cup of tea because it's all machine drinks and it was very expensive. Tip: take a picnic.

Rother Valley - car park is quite expensive especially if you don't intend staying very long. They have a minature railway no too. Tip: go with friends in the summer and have a bbq/picnic

Newmillerdam and Sandal Castle - i've put them both together because they're not far from each other. Junc 39 M1. Newmillerdam is a lovely walk, quite a large pay and display car park and very reasonably priced. There are two pubs that do good food and family meals. Sandal Castle is set back off Barnsley rd and there not a huge amount to do it's a pleasant walk. Also very close by is Pugneys Water Park, very similar to Rother Valley.

Hemsworth Water Park - Barnsley way, plenty for the kids to do.

Magna - at almost 4 years old he'll love the outdoor play area.

I think there's a website called visit yorkshire and i'm sure they have lots of ideas too. Further afield there's Eurika, Harewood House, Bolton Abbey, Pickering (steam trains), Dalby Forest (just outside Scarborough).

4 year olds? Are you sure these places are not just for you, and happen to have a play area for the kids!? :hihi:

My DS is almost four and I'm wanting to expand our horizons and take him to some new places, so I'd love some suggestions please. Any parks, playcentres, day trips, museums etc. that anyone knows of would be great (the cheaper the better, lol!).

Thanks,

Aqua

not sure if its been mentioned before but there is also the butterfly house which is just past dinnington if you have a car :D