I've just started camping, require equipment, any advice

Just come back from 8 days in the Lake District, spent in a Coleman Mackensie 4 man tent. No problems other than the zips can sometimes be a bit fiddly. Found it to be stable in the wind though over the last couple of years. Agree that Vango range is good too.

My first family tent was a Vango diablo xp 900 (loads of room) ,be careful,as some sites restrict you to a 6m x 6m pitch.

We were told on some sites that we would have to pay for 2 piches,as the tent was bigger than the standard pitch.

Are you sorted for wind brakes? i have 3 spare,always good to claim your space :hihi:

Thanks for the advice all . . . much appreciated. The vango's are a little more than I hoped to pay, but they do look worth the few extra pounds.

I'm looking at going for the Icarus 500 . . .

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vango-Icarus-500-Tent/dp/B002YO5QU4/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=sports&qid=1274172821&sr=8-4

or, the Icarus 400:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vango-Icarus-tent-Laurel-2010/dp/B00325XDXQ/ref=sr_1_21?ie=UTF8&s=sports&qid=1274173216&sr=8-21

Thanks for the advice all . . . much appreciated. The vango's are a little more than I hoped to pay, but they do look worth the few extra pounds.

I'm looking at going for the Icarus 500 . . .

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vango-Icarus-500-Tent/dp/B002YO5QU4/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=sports&qid=1274172821&sr=8-4

or, the Icarus 400:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vango-Icarus-tent-Laurel-2010/dp/B00325XDXQ/ref=sr_1_21?ie=UTF8&s=sports&qid=1274173216&sr=8-21

Can't go wrong with those. I was thinking about the Icarus, but wanted something a little different and went instead for a Sunncamp Evolution 400:

http://www.outdoormegastore.co.uk/acatalog/Sunncamp_Evolution_400_Dome_Tent_.html

It's a funky mid sized tent and I loved it when I took it out for the first time last month.

If you're only going for a night or two, then have a look at Decathlon's range of pop up tents. They take a bit of practice to put away, but will save you hours of time in the long run!

Hi,

I have a 6man tent with 3 seperate bedrooms that's easy to put up. I have bits of camping stuff aswell that I can sort out for you, mats, kettle etc. msg me if you are interested as we have just bought a motorhome and I was going to sell the stuff when I get round to it, so that will give me the nudge to do it.

Look after the tent even if it is second hand. Lesson we learned last year (1st time family campers) was it's worth cleaning the inside of your tent before you pack it away even if it is raining outside! I know, we probably commited a cardinal sin :0( but it was during that mad torrentail rain last summer and we cleaned it as soon as we could but rain didn't stop for about a week when we got back and it made life so much harder.

Also on things for a two year old to do- the great outdoors is usually enough in itself, but try the walking group for good walks and tips (you could create a discovery chart -big pictures with names underneath for things to go and hunt for- suggest you laminate it first though). Also plan activities in advance for bad weather, e.g., Visting Castles, Caves etc...

We went to the Yorkshire Dales last year, Masons campsite http://www.masonscampsite.co.uk - great place, great people, weather let us down a bit but my 8 year old didn't care. There's a stream at the bottom (nanny alert) with a rope swing and you can go cray fishing. There's a big field just a stones throw away from the tents to run around in or play frisbee (we got a game going with about 6 other kids!) good times. :0)

There's a 4 person tent listed in the For Sale section of the forum, might be worth a look.

Thanks for the advice again. We've just been to Go Outdoors today and we're going to buy all our stuff from them next week - they'll price match too. It's a bit daunting trying to figure out what stuff is needed, and I'm being careful not to overload ourselves with useless crap we'll never use.

I'll take a look at the mason site, cheers, it looks good. If anyone else has any suggestions for a first timer with a 3 and 4 year old, I'd be pleased to hear them.

As for the tent, we've gone for the Icarus 500. From what others have said, it doesn't seem worth the risk buying one 2nd hand. £60 for a piece a carpet seems a bit steep though.

If you try and wait a bit for your tent (camp next year rather than now) you will find some huge reductions once the season is over. New ranges come out each year so places like go outdoors and towsure do some great sales. Also look on ukcampsite and go on there forums people are always posting about great deals and who has got a sale on.

We purchased our outwell of ebay second hand i already new the tent i wanted, we paid £350 for kit worth at least £700.

I am an outwell fan i love the steel poles rather than the bendy willow poles. I also really like the designs and the quirkes i would love a Bear lake but so expensive. We have camped in some very windy conditions on the Isle of Wight we saw numerous tents take

off and get trashed in the wind while our outwell stood firm all we had to do was keep checking pegs. I have to say though we saw a few vangos that looked solid despite the wind.

My other recommendation is delta pegs they are truly wonderful you will lose your tent side before your peg comes out of the ground with those babies http://www.deltagroundanchors.co.uk/ and in the weather we are having at the moment people may well need them hehe.

I also love my tent carpet well worth the cost. It makes it so much warmer and if you have a SIG (sewn in groundsheet) it stops it blowing up in the wind and rustling at night. I also imagine it's great if you have kids and you are sitting in the tent in the evening no cold little bottoms on the ground. However i imagine they are a pain if you don't have a porch entrance as i can imagine them getting covered in mud.

Don't forget chairs. It is amazing how much of a difference being able to sit comfortably makes.

I don't use a carpet, just the groundsheet, as I find all I do is bring home a load of grass! What I do use though are those straw sunbathing mat things which does much the same job.

My advice is to think carefully about your tent and the occupants, otherwise you will end up as I have:

3 person tent (replaced because new hubby's feet poke out the end)

5 person tent (really great but replaced because hubby's head pokes out of the top)

5 person tent - perfect but takes time to put up so only used for the long holiday

3 person pop up - great but a bit low for hubby

3 person Decathlon pop up and extra pop up dome - just the job for weekends (time to tea 10 minutes)

original toilet tent (needs to be replaced because hubby is too big for it)

similarly 4 single sleeping bags, all replaced because hubby is too wide/long.

and yes, I will be selling most of these!

Beds are another thing to think of - my recommendation is for a decent box sided airbed for good comfort and take the pillows off your bed. I find those roll up flat things uncomfortable with not enough padding and hubby finds them too short (he is 6 ft 4")