Teens and Hillsborough Park

I never really went for the whole hanging around in the park thing when I was younger. I think a lot of the people who did it were more keen to 'grow up' than I was though ironically they were probably less mature.

We'd just play football/manhunt in the woods while light permitted then in the evening sometimes a few of us would meet in someone's house or we'd just entertain ourselves watching telly or whatever.

By the time I wanted to start going out a bit more in the evenings I was old enough (or looked it) to go to the pub and have a few pints and a bit of karaoke.

Half the problem is peer pressure and the way they feel the need to 'grow up' quickly. It's just funny that they cannot see what constitutes growing up and becoming more mature.

can i just say that people are going on about going and playing football like they used to, well most of the time the boys play football and the girls chat,

It would be interesting to hear more about these dog attacks. I've not heard anything around this before - surely it would have made it onto these forums or local news before?

I agree that there is a problem with the gangs of teens who hang around at the Park. The points you raise are the one's most worth being concerned about - especially the weed smoking and foul language around the play areas. I imagine that some of those gangs would also be responsible for the mindless vandalism of the lighting alongside the play area at the top of the park that still hasn't been repaired some 6/7 months on. I would expect that they are also culpable for all of the broken glass bottles dotted about the footpaths and edges of the fields as well. I've raised both points with the council to no avail. I just don't think they want to invest the time/money in preventative action, nor clearing up after these yobs.

A couple of weeks ago we were just in the park and we heard a woman screaming because a staffy was attacking her 17 year old dog with cancer. We went to see if it was ok. A police officer there at the time said the staffy would probably not be put down as it wasn't a human. And that the dog attacked would probably be put down as it had broken legs, its ear was ripped off and it was bleeding everywhere.

some comments have been made re the latest dog attack on the pets thread. I have been told it was a black lab who was attacked and unfor it died!!!! another incindent cannot be discussed because of legal reasons!!!!!

yeah i was there when the black lab got attacked

Probably because there what i call 'ferrel kids', the ones that roam the streets and no one wants!

they need to build a community center with a in and out door area so they can mingal music pool and so on with the odd PCSO coming by every so often,

allow them to have a smoking shelter and allow them to smoke also allow them to consume acahole there but in the presence of an adult ie the support worker so its done safly and no rapes or fights start do not take the achahol off them as all they will do is go out and get more and just hate the police force,

if they do not allow them and inflict banns on smoking then they will not turn up create a banning system where if they start to fight or couse trubel then there banned from there for 2 - 3 months 2nd offence more longer if continues then for life

if somone can start a charity there with a shelter there then there is support for them give prizes have food and drink there at cheap prices as not many have cost know a days which sends children into anger and want to fight as they feel meananless to life and thinking there is nothing for them most likly them who fight and tak like rude boys and girls have a poor upbringing which is subjected to vilence from parent or school bullys or even there are deprised of the most basic essenshals for them to feel loved and happy,

its a commen fact that if you feel sad deprised and desperate you do crime ie govament give low income base ie job seekers or child support so we all complain and feel anger towards govament its same with kids ie if they see a person giving a police request they seeit as ahostile tenshion which is what there used to from adults,

ie for boys same as the teen that was met with hostile tenshion from gnags they must have a poor envirment around them where they are met with hostilaty forcing them to turn on others as a basic reaction,

some hate police down to familys talking and bringing there children hating police same as people being brought up hating ethnics means they turn and couse anger towards them,

same as kids talking like gangster rude boys they more than likly been brought up with that sourounding which is a image what govament needs to do is start early and bring up children in a nice envirment with kind loving and friendship giving and fair not poor envirment.

Edited by aa014

heard a whisper that the new building on catch bar lane next to gas flair is going to be a cafe could be cool to hang out after playing tennis etc :)

yeah i was there when the black lab got attacked

OMG that is terrible!!!!! this is why I avoid the park. Was the Staffie off lead? was it a dog that usually goes in the park!!!! the poor owner of the Lab must have been devastated...

There is lots for teenagers to do, other than hang on in gangs in parks making other people feel uncomfortable!!!

Swimming, dancing, cinema, sport, etc etc, why do people have to come up with the old chestnut, they have nothing to do?? bull, I never went around causing trouble, and I came from a family who didnt have much money,

sadly more vandalism in the Park. Lot of lights smashed at the bottom end and a motor bike abandoned in the lake and pulled out by the Rangers[?]. Not collected by the Police after five days so torched by side of the Walled Garden resulting in Fire Brigade being called out. Oh for the days of Park Keepers.

Bottom Lodge and Coach House up for sale and someone interested so some good news.

Well, that new basket swing in the playground didn't last long!

I have to agree with this thread. I'm in my early 30's with no kids but do take my neices there.

Play areas are for children not teenagers and some days irbid overrun with them.

I walked my dog there yesterday and there were more older teenagers in there than little kids!

If it's empty than fair enough but when little ones want and need the space to play they should leave. It does annoy me when they take up all the baby swings.

The building next to the libary needs renovating into a cafe and at night a drop in type cafe for teenagers where they can sit and drink, talk and play pool. There is a massive opp being missed here and if I had the capital I'd do it myself!!

your missing the concept of a park.

Its free. being a teen myself, we get bored, although never vandalising a park myself, I do admit a small minority of my generation do this.

Also being a teen, I happen to know alot of us get skint ,yes we mainly spend it on food of makeup. Also, a previous comment of using condoms, well duh? do we really need to cause even more teen pregnancy? I think not.

Like another user posted. its A small MINORITY of teens. NOT a MAJORITY.