Talk Talk Internet problems Megathread

My Contracts' nearly up - yay!!. That 'free' laptop isn't really 'free'. But I'd pay the £15 a month + £7 insurance + approx £25 monthly for line rental (and virtually no landline calls) gladly - IF I was getting a good service. I'm in the process of listing every time I lose my broadband. This month I seem to be constantly reporting my landline and broadband disconnected (via Mobile Phone). Sometimes it's for a couple of minutes, more often for 3 to 4 hours - with no warning. Wham - it's just gone. I take on board that BT are responsible for the exchanges etc etc. But quite frankly, I don't care. I'm paying for a service and I expect to get it.

By the way - if you're moving house - be warned. They'll charge you the full month that you move out. Then you'll have an approx 6 week wait for broadband to be connected at your new house regardless of whether the last people were connected or not ( BT's fault apparently - they drag their feet with Talk Talk accounts, so I was told) - then you'll get charged the full month for the month you're connected up . Plus a 'Contract Breakage' fee from the last house ( think it was £65). And on top of that - they cancel your contract ( even if it only has a month to go) and start a brand new contract. And in the meantime, your 'free' laptop has bit the dust and you need a new one!!

I suppose I might have been able to pay the 'Contract breakage' fee and then gone elsewhere. But I thought I was tied up because of the laptop. And who needs that headache in the middle of moving house anyway.

So as a note to Talk Talk as no doubt they read anything online pertaining to them from time to time - I'll pay all of that if i have to, but I expect my broadband to be connected 24/7 (unless reasonable prior warning is given) or you should refund/compensate some rental cost in line with your monthly charges. Seems fair to me.

Just thought you'd like to know how it really is - although, like any other Company, they just take your money knowing that nowhere is any better and we're too busy/scared/informed/resigned to try.

Watch it thay will probably bill you for some thing in a few years time

Yes you're probably right.......another laptop!

Yes you're probably right.......another laptop!

Its no joke though mate its like banging your head against a brick wall talking to them. I just dont see how thay can bill me for a service i never had. Icanceled the service for phone and internet because thay could not conect me. I thought that was the end of it then 26 month later thay say thay are gona cut me me off if i dont pay them. Isaid go on then because i dont even have a service with them. But thay say i have to pay the sum owing as i have no proof of canceling with them:confused:

When I opened this thread originally, it was regarding the actual phone line with Talk Talk being down; not the general quality of the provision of my broadband. That, in about four years of service, had generally been good. Unfortunately, my thread was merged with someone else’s and it looks like I was complaining about the broadband – I wasn’t.

Anyhow, enough about that. Now I am complaining about the broadband. The last few weeks my broadband has been dire! I’ve only noticed that it’s been down fully once (for about 2 hours) but it keeps on dropping out for a minute here and two minutes there.

I keep on getting offers off BT. They’re offering me almost the same package as Talk Talk for the same price. Just need to find out the monthly allowance. I’m currently unlimited – but don’t download videos and what not. I currently pay about £27 and the paper statement and calls to mobiles takes my monthly bill to about £31 - £32.

My question is though: Am I going out of the frying pan and into the fire? Is BT better than Talk Talk? They use the same lines so will I keep on getting the odd break in service here and there too? I know that there are other providers out there too but I want to keep my bill to under £30 if poss.

As said, for almost four years I’ve had a decent(ish) service off Talk Talk, it’s just now that it’s gone slightly downhill. The other thing that peed me off about them was they phoned me about three months back offering me a new package which would save me money. It would include all 0845 and 0870 numbers – my bill has gone up – and what’s actually included in the package has gone down. I used to get international calls (didn’t need them) – I don’t now.

Cheers

G

Hi i have had BT and VERGIN and i found both there services very good

When I opened this thread originally, it was regarding the actual phone line with Talk Talk being down; not the general quality of the provision of my broadband. That, in about four years of service, had generally been good. Unfortunately, my thread was merged with someone else’s and it looks like I was complaining about the broadband – I wasn’t.

Anyhow, enough about that. Now I am complaining about the broadband. The last few weeks my broadband has been dire! I’ve only noticed that it’s been down fully once (for about 2 hours) but it keeps on dropping out for a minute here and two minutes there.

I keep on getting offers off BT. They’re offering me almost the same package as Talk Talk for the same price. Just need to find out the monthly allowance. I’m currently unlimited – but don’t download videos and what not. I currently pay about £27 and the paper statement and calls to mobiles takes my monthly bill to about £31 - £32.

My question is though: Am I going out of the frying pan and into the fire? Is BT better than Talk Talk? They use the same lines so will I keep on getting the odd break in service here and there too? I know that there are other providers out there too but I want to keep my bill to under £30 if poss.

As said, for almost four years I’ve had a decent(ish) service off Talk Talk, it’s just now that it’s gone slightly downhill. The other thing that peed me off about them was they phoned me about three months back offering me a new package which would save me money. It would include all 0845 and 0870 numbers – my bill has gone up – and what’s actually included in the package has gone down. I used to get international calls (didn’t need them) – I don’t now.

Cheers

G

i have the same fault as you i have been in contact with them but i cant get any where.i will be going with bt when my contract is up.

i think with bt you are contract free.

My braodband has gone rubbish as well over the last month it kept dropping out all the time, now my laptop will not connect at all wireless just if I plug it in which of course defeats the object of a laptop!!

I have spoken to talk talk twice now and got nowwhere there is obviously a fault with the signal strength from the box but they are denying there is a problem with it just getting really fed up now.

[quote=big_g;6177909

Cheers

G

I have almost exactly the same problems as you in I think it was on your original post that I was praising TT and saying that I had no problems.

Unfortunately if you took advantage of any of the TT offers then you will almost certainly find that they say you have signed up for a further 18months contract.

I had the same call and could barely understand what the Indian guy was saying but it sounded like he was saving me money with various "boosts" etc, but when I got my next bill it was for £11 more than my previous, so I phoned them and canceled any additions that he had made.

Then when I phoned them up to terminate my line with them after weeks of problems they said that I had agreed to a further 18 months contract and it will cost me £70 to leave them.

I now have to wait till October and then I have to move back to BT as my line rental can only be transferred back to them and not to another provider.:confused:

I have almost exactly the same problems as you in I think it was on your original post that I was praising TT and saying that I had no problems.

Unfortunately if you took advantage of any of the TT offers then you will almost certainly find that they say you have signed up for a further 18months contract.

I had the same call and could barely understand what the Indian guy was saying but it sounded like he was saving me money with various "boosts" etc, but when I got my next bill it was for £11 more than my previous, so I phoned them and canceled any additions that he had made.

Then when I phoned them up to terminate my line with them after weeks of problems they said that I had agreed to a further 18 months contract and it will cost me £70 to leave them.

I now have to wait till October and then I have to move back to BT as my line rental can only be transferred back to them and not to another provider.:confused:

I'm hoping that I am out of contract. They rang a couple of months ago trying to get me to renew my contract - I refused and told them that I was going to shop around. I advised them my main reason for the refusal was the fact that my bill had gone up despite then saying that their new package would make it go down. They agreed that they would ring back in a month.

In the last month they've tried me various times and left loads of messages trying to get me to renew the contract. The last message stated that they were no longer going to try to contact me. Hopefully it's still on the answerphone.

I'll keep you updated.

The perfect solution would be that a stable service is resumed.

G

i have the same fault as you i have been in contact with them but i cant get any where.i will be going with bt when my contract is up.

No you're not. BT Contract you the same as anyone else - why wouldn'y they?

The last few weeks my broadband has been dire! I’ve only noticed that it’s been down fully once (for about 2 hours) but it keeps on dropping out for a minute here and two minutes there.

G

This is exactly whats happening to me. And quite frequently from around 2am it drops out totally ( and then I go to bed), although its back the next morning.

as far as i know you have to have a contract with BT, iv always had 1 with them albeit a year by year contract, never had any serious problems either. iv had 1 or 2 minor problems which had nothing to do with BT but they sorted them out for me anyway