Brenda Rigby's Dance School - 70's & 80's

I attended Brenda Rigbys Dance School in the late 70's early 80's. The school was in Netheredge, we did ballet, tap the usual.

Brenda the dance teacher lived at the school (Her house) with her elderly mother. To my knowledge Brenda had no kids.

She was a great teacher, I'd love to here from anyone who went to the dance school, brenda's relatives, people with old dance pics from the school.

You must be outthere...I can't find any details on the entire web!!!That can't be right

Both my daughters went there for dancing classes in the 70's along with two girls who lived next door.

One of the Crowder girls, Shirley I think used to baby sit for us occasionally.

Do your girls remember Elaine, Sophie Titus, Margaret Corrien....don't remember other names. Did they ever perform at Mongomery Theatre, or have photos of Brenda or any of the other girls....

Oh my god...yeah, it wasn't Montgomery it was Merlin Theatre....Thanks for reminder. Weirdest thing happened today, was in town, Chapel Walk and there was a wedding happening at st marys(it think its called) standing in the doorway was one of the girls that went to Brenda Rigbys, I swear, aint seen her since late 70's but she looked the same! (but adult size)

I really really wanted to go up to her and say something but she looked like quite an important person in the wedding party and was guiding people through the doors........how weird is THAT..I should start a thread to find out who's weding it was!!!

Please let me know if you're daughters find out anything more

i went there in about 1970 ballet and tap, think all the kids on my street went as it was the next street from mine

Brenda started teaching at the age of 16 in 1955 at Carterknowle Church

Edgedale Road.after becoming a member of the I.D.M.A she and her mother

Purchased a house in Albany Rd Nether Edge and were there from 1962-1977

The school then moved to Wostenholm Road where she remained teaching and

running exam sessions in I.D.T.A dance and L.A.M.D.A Drama .The school put on

a spectacular stage show every year at both the Merlin Theatre and the

Montgomery Hall and in the early years took part in the B.B.O.joint teachers

shows at the City Hall.After her mothers death she continued to teach until

retiring at the age of 60. Brenda still lives in Sheffield and at the age of 73 is

still social dancing and is a life member of the International Dance Teachers

Association.

Edited by B A Rigby
removing my name

i went there too think it was the 70 s as it was just round the corner from my mums .

Remember the shows and dropping my hat on stage brenda was not happy with me as i tryed to pick it up lol karen toseland went there if anyone remembers .

I have a pic of me in my ballet outfit took in the studio lol

I remember my eldest daughter performing at Nether Edge Hospital as a hula hula girl, the weather was fantastic and I think like us, all the parents had a brilliant bay.

Bet Branda could still get her leg up, :-))).

My wife is making a scrap book for Rachel who will be 40 in september and she still talks about her dancing because both her girlse are into dancing and gymnastics all brought about by Brenda.

73, still young then.;-)).

Edited by Lucifer
To add to

I attended Brenda's dance school in the late 60's along with my sister Joyce who was deaf. I remember doing a Winter Wonderland show in about 68. We left for South Africa in 1971 and I am now back in the UK. Would love to hear from anyone who remembers me. Wendy Quinn now Royston

Hi Wendy - I do remember you well. I think that I have a couple of grainy photos of us together in the Winter Wonderland show along with your sister. Do you remeber me - it's Jackie (Jacqueline)

Jackie yes I do remember you and I to have a photo of us, I am going to have to get into the loft this weekend and dig them out. I remember you at one of my birthday parties as well. Are you still in the Sheffield area, would love to hear from you. My e mail is [email protected] I have been back in the UK for 10 years now and we live in Camberley Surrey.

I went to a Gwen Rigby dancing school in the late 1940,s

it was somewhere just off Carterknowle Rd from what I remember Would this be any connection to Brenda Rigby,We worked with her brother and several of us lads went there for lessons I think we paid 30 shillings for 6 lessons