Whatever happened to Radio Hallam...

Freddie J Allen did his Revived 45 Show on, I think, a Friday evening around 82/83. He was really good. Didn't he use Side Saddle (Russ Conway)as his theme tune?

I also recall listening to Diana Luke on a Sunday night around 1988 and she used to blow kisses to her listeners - 'and a big mmmmooooiiiii to Dave in Broomhill'. She's still on air, but I can't remember where, Minster FM of something, doesn't sound any older.

Another ad that I recall from Christmas 1984 was the TDK video cassette one, which, sung as a choral hymn seemed to go on forever: 'TeeeeeDeeeeKaaaaay, TeeeeDeeeeKaaaaay'. It was out the same time the Toy Dolls released their mega version of Nellie The Elephant.

Incidentally, who was the Asian guy who did a Sunday morning show (and possibly a Saturday)? He was superb, but I can't for the life of me remember his name. We used to have him on in the car on our way to and from Heeley Swimming Baths in 1981.

Was it Ali someone, or someone Ali?

You are thinking of Kelly Temple.

Talking of old Radio Hallam just found a cassette in the attic with bits of a Ray Stuart sunday morning Hallam show, dating from Summer 78 at a guess as it features Dreadlock Holiday by 10cc, Grease soundtrack music, and various other SUmmer 78 tracks. What a gem.........those jingles.........so cool....

I was brought up in Nottinghamshire and in the very early days of Radio Hallam could just receive it on FM if I did some serious aerial twiddling and even then only at dawn and dusk.

I sent them a letter (I was in my teens) and received a rather nice little postcard and some bits and bobs back. Since then I've had similar cards (QSL Cards, as they're called) from all over teh world but that one is still a favourite, 'cos it was amongst the first!

Ramble over...:)

Joe

Originally posted by goldenfleece

RIP Moffat and Stuart, did not know. Heard they had a bit of whisky drinking problem (???) from someone last night in the pub. They apparently got sacked by the new management, and drunk themselves to death, well thats what I heard. Sad...

Got some old cassettes of them both on Radio Hallam in the car from about 25 years ago, much better to listen to than the crap they call Hallam now. Modernisation? You can stick that concept Hallam FM!

Doesnt a lot change in 20 years!!! Everything is different beyond belief........

I went in the YORK in Broomhill last night.....wow, a Scream pub now....actually not too bad but lost all its atmosphere, and also lost Stones bitter as well, but that is no great loss.

I worked as a DJ at Samantha's and was about to do a private party for Tesco when Roger Moffat turned up and said he was going to open the evening. Thought I would be smart and tried to teach him to suck eggs. I didn't do enough. Told him to stand between the two overhead speakers and and hold the microphone at the end of his chin. He stood bang under a speaker and put the microphone up to his mouth. Knowone understood a word. Some even said who the hell is that! after that he went to a horseshoe bench seat that was up two steps. He made for the seat and sat on the bottom step. Later he sat at a table and emptied every glass down his throught while the people were on the dance floor. On his way out there were double doors, one open one locked closed. it was like watching a pin ball bouncing off the locked door.

Originally posted by mowith

You are thinking of Kelly Temple.

Whatever happened to Kelly (Shirlry) Temple worked with him on several occasions at Samantha's when he did saturday nights and took over for him at Issabella's at Worksop.:gag: :gag: :gag:

Hi guys glad I found this Subject. Yes when I was a kid in the late 70s and 80s I used to be hooked to Radio Hallam I could tell you a lot about my memories. I was nuts about it and yes it is a load of rubbish now. I Have lived in London for 13 years but still visit my parents in Yorkshire.

I remember all the Jocks like Ray stewart, Kely Temple Johnny Moran and many others. Look out for other messages I can give you lots of memories.

I started to listen to Radio Hallam about 1978. I remember Kelly Temple used to do the Oldies show I remember was on a Friday evening. He used to start from 1973 and go through as far back as 1956,

I also remember him doing a saturday evening show from 6 till 8 after the sport. Then he would be on Sunday Morning with a show called Kellys eye. One thing I remember is he had an echo jingle which went HELLO. He also later on about 1981 had a slot called Naughty litle blighters, where parents wrote in and told hime naughty tricks that kids got up to.

No I did not realise he was Asian I remember him having a well spoken voice.

If anyone out there has any very old recordings they could copy for me I would be most interested. It would bring back some Childhood memories.

I started to listen to Radio Hallam about 1978. I remember Kelly Temple used to do the Oldies show I remember was on a Friday evening. He used to start from 1973 and go through as far back as 1956,

If anyone out there has any very old recordings they could copy for me I would be most interested. It would bring back some Childhood memories.

Actually THE GREAT REVIVED 45 SHOW was Thursday nights 8 while 10. Each week featured a different year and some useless retail prices and local history. Have a few shows on cassette from about 1977 somewhere....

I came across Kelly Temple's voice on London radio a short while back. That was a blast from the past, since I hadn't heard him in 25 years!

I remember listening to Radio Hallam all the time as a kid. My mum once had a Kelly Temple early morning call where he used to phone someone up at silly o'clock on a sunday morning. I think if I looked we've still got it on tape somewhere. Went to a couple of roadshows aswell and once won a competition to travel on the roadshow bus. Had a lovely radio hallam t-shirt aswell!!

I remember Radio Hallam starting, my teacher at the time (I was about 7) was one of the original sports reporters and made sure we listened to the first programme. I believe he is still at Hallam FM and covers the United matches, Peter Jenkins, although if my memory is correct he was actually a Wednesday fan.