Whatever happened to Radio Hallam...

Martin Kelner sometimes does Look Leeds (sorry I meant Look North) on a Saturday.

Originally posted by goldenfleece

Wow yes. I even like radio 2 as its more like Radio Hallam USED to be. Its not so much the music is total crap (which it is), HALLAM used to be top 40 based station in the 70's and early 80's before it went middle of the road oldies. Its the DJ's who are so bad I cannot believe it!! They are so poor, just shout down the microphone at you and have no idea about style or subtlety, and always plugging the clubs they have the misfortune to be employed by. Its one huge advert all the time and a total joke!

Don't forget that everyone who phones in is called 'mate'. As I've posted elsewhere Radio Hallam, or to give it its modern tag Hallam FM is a joke, fake radio at its worst.

It's adverts based around the music, not the other way round and it's just awful. The jingles are really hard on the ears, it's actually painful. And what really gets on my threepenny bits is that awful quasi-american accent they use, on jingles and adverts.

And the presenters actually think they're famous!!!!!

I recon Hallam is one of the very best stations around. To the best of my knowledge it is number one in its market which is pretty damm good these days during the advent of DAB, Sky, etc and so much more local and national choice.

The breakfast show one a Gold award at the New York radio awards (the Radio Oscars) and John Harrison has a huge local following. They have really built that show up into something special over the last few years. Replacing Daryl Denham was a hell of a job, but John's show is really good.

Matt Mackay is one of the best music presenters around. Matt Foister and Emma Wasden are so much better and easier to listen to that the awful boring Dave Bethal was. Phoneboy is one hell of a tallent and I think Radio 1 looms for him, he is so different and brilliant at what he does.

Now Nick at night has really bedded in, Sheffield has a really strong talkshow that seems to have a hell of a lot of people listening even if they sometimes come on here and slag of Nick for something he has said. We need new speach broadcasters, we can reley on people like Scottie forever; good as he was on Hallam.

James Cussak is also bearly 18 and he is also one hell of a rising star. Anthony Gay who used to present for many years on Hallam who as programme director built up the station in to the RAJAR success it is today, was poached by EMAP flagship sister station Key 103 to do the same there. Same with former managing director Gus MacKenzie who now is Key 103/Magic 1152 MD. Former breakfast show producer Sean Gibson also now produces EMAP's flagship breakfast show 'Mike Toolan in the Morning' on Key 103.

Hallam FM is great station - just listen to some of the networked and syndicated rubbish down south, and then you'll see. It has a huge connection with its target audience,but its not the target audience of the 70's or 80's which is why i think so many people comne on here and slag it off. Just accept it is a fine quality, local product, and its one of the best things made in Sheffield in my view and one to be proud of.

Just to clarify, I dont work for EMAP or Hallam FM, im just a listener.

am i right in thinking scotty McClue got hallam fined for sommat he said on air?

I too stopped listening to Radio Hallam when the Late Great Martin kelner left.

I catch him now from time-to-time on BBC Radio Sheffield (possibly linked with Leeds broadcasts). He still does funny voices & plays bits of comedy tracks.

I recall the Dodworth Dopplegagnger,

Majick at Midnight (3 songs back-to-back), ahh the memories.

Maybe Hallam FM is crap these days because we are all nostalgia fiends & can't face changes?

Maybe it's a sign of getting older?

I'm a Classic FM buff now (myself:thumbsup: )

I wonder if the kids of today, who love Hallam FM the way it is now, will be having this very same conversation in 25 years time?

Dean Peppall used to be a French teacher at Newfield School. He looked like a tall Roy Wood and drove a sports car.

Its not the music thatmakes HALLAM FM painful to listen to, but I must agree with some it tends to be the same 5 records in constant rotation. No, take away the music and consider the DJ's......if you tape 3 hrs of Hallam FM, edit out the music and just listen to the idiots who present on it you will see what I mean. As mentioned above, all they do is plug nightclubs where they work.......its NOT subtle....its too much in yer face shoutng down the microphone Unbearable......

Say what you like about winning God knows what awards, its unprofessional and very amateurish to listen to, as compared to its sheer class and professionalism up to around 15 years ago when it lost its independance. A Radio presenter should be coherent, and not pluging his nightclub spot every 5 minutes and shouting off about how many pints of lager him and his mates knocked back: they are VERY bad example to be setting others.

Originally posted by bigdave1

A little bit of nostalgia ...

Remember these little bits of radio brilliance ?

http://www.secure.forcehost.net/~dave/

Thought that may bring a smile to your faces - a bit of Classic Hallam !

man that is going down the years:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: i only need to hear the job finder intro and ill be n heaven lol

I have got it somewhere !

Let me dig through the archives at the weekend and If I find it , I'll post it !

Well Done dave, the're fantastic.

Does everyone remember the old Roger Moffat Jingle

[clearing throat]

Roger Moffat,

mouldy Moffat,

will share his moments with you.

Roger Moffat,

think nothing of it,

you may even get a laugh or two.

bop, bop, bop. :clap:

Magic stuff :thumbsup: can anyone remember Roger singing "Black Betty" for the money mountain, which was a song he despised.