Whatever happened to Radio Hallam...

Radio Hallam (which started in late 1974), had later on a very good sports journalist, Stewart Linnell.

anyone remember the James H. Reeve radio phone in? I used to love listening to that late at night in bed.

OMG that brings back memories. It used to be so funny. we would stay awake for hours laughing at it. I'd forgotten all about it.

I remember the first night that James H Reeve started. His predecessor was Roger Kirk who had a more gentle approach to phone ins. He loved his First Time Callers or FTC's as they were known and he always knew they were nervous so he was always polite to them.

Then James appeared one night out of nowhere.

He introduced himself and mentioned his own name as the night went on. I can't remember the name of onne of the callers, but we'll call him "Dave"

This is something like how it went................

"This is James H Reeve, you're on the air, Who's calling?"

"Hello ROGER, I'm Dave"

Roger takes on a sarcastic tone when he says:

"Hello............FRED, what do you want to talk about?"

"I'm an FTC Roger"

"Yes, I think you are" replied James

At this point I fell on the floor laughing!

---------- Post added 22-07-2018 at 14:30 ----------

http://hallammemories.co.uk/

Edited by Marky Baby

On 31/05/2018 at 16:27, diezeltruck said:

Goldenfleece do you happen to have the link to the Vintage Hallam recording thread that you mentioned you would be putting up containing separate URL's and details....streaming mp3

Would like to listen to that Martin Kelner rare vintage stuff that you found in your attic.

Did you get round to putting a thread up?

P.S Is Goldenfleece the same person as Vinyl Kat at the Dove & rainbow??

only just seen this. Not been able to get around to doing the tape transfers yet. Yes, I am linked with the Dove and Rainbow, and now Marathon Charts Radio in Sheffield

Freddie Allen here,i came across this site by accident and was pleasantly surprised by the interest. After leaving Hallam i went to Viking in order to have my drive time show broadcast to Viking,Hallam and Penine,from there to Metro in Newcastle for the new Great North Radio. I eventually moved to America where my presentation style was popular giving me 3 number 1 shows in their market that awarded me meaningless awards. I am now 74,fit,healthy and still riding my old Harley. I returned to the UK in 2005,spent 1 year presenting Magic Drive Time.After 1 year i was bored with the direction computerised Radio was going so i headed off to Mountain FM in Vancouver Canada and theñ a short spell in Mexico for a new English speaking Radio station on the Yukatan peninsula with the aim of providing shows for Cancun,Cozumel and Playa Del Carmen. I am now happily retired  back in the UK living in Kent. I loved my days at Hallam and having the privilege to bring you what was then new and exciting music ie Bon Jovi,Springsteen, Bryan Adams,Heart and many others, for those who may  remember it i still have my distinct deep voice and a love of music. 

Stay safe in these troubled times. 😎

On 01/12/2021 at 21:42, Freddie Allen said:

Freddie Allen here,i came across this site by accident and was pleasantly surprised by the interest. After leaving Hallam i went to Viking in order to have my drive time show broadcast to Viking,Hallam and Penine,from there to Metro in Newcastle for the new Great North Radio. I eventually moved to America where my presentation style was popular giving me 3 number 1 shows in their market that awarded me meaningless awards. I am now 74,fit,healthy and still riding my old Harley. I returned to the UK in 2005,spent 1 year presenting Magic Drive Time.After 1 year i was bored with the direction computerised Radio was going so i headed off to Mountain FM in Vancouver Canada and theñ a short spell in Mexico for a new English speaking Radio station on the Yukatan peninsula with the aim of providing shows for Cancun,Cozumel and Playa Del Carmen. I am now happily retired  back in the UK living in Kent. I loved my days at Hallam and having the privilege to bring you what was then new and exciting music ie Bon Jovi,Springsteen, Bryan Adams,Heart and many others, for those who may  remember it i still have my distinct deep voice and a love of music. 

Stay safe in these troubled times. 😎

The "Freddie J Allen" ?!?!?

Ahhh Roger Moffat , what a legend .... here he is being interviewed after his obituary 🙂 🙂

It seems that at one point he lived in Nether Edge and adopted an old gas lamp post is this true? 

Edited by GinTreeS7

2 hours ago, GinTreeS7 said:

Ahhh Roger Moffat , what a legend .... here he is being interviewed after his obituary 🙂 🙂

It seems that at one point he lived in Nether Edge and adopted an old gas lamp post is this true? 

As far as I remember, after a skinful, he painted part of one of the old gas lamps on Brincliffe Edge Road near the junction with Oakhill Road - Roger was a regular at the Brincliffe Oaks pub (now defunct) on Oakhill.  Somewhere between 1979 and 1981 when I lived on Edgedale Road.

The gas lamps used to be on the side by the woods - they appear to have gone and been replaced by new lamps on the side where houses stand.

16 hours ago, Longcol said:

As far as I remember, after a skinful, he painted part of one of the old gas lamps on Brincliffe Edge Road near the junction with Oakhill Road - Roger was a regular at the Brincliffe Oaks pub (now defunct) on Oakhill.  Somewhere between 1979 and 1981 when I lived on Edgedale Road.

The gas lamps used to be on the side by the woods - they appear to have gone and been replaced by new lamps on the side where houses stand.

There seems to be one left, now painted green, preserved which is inset into a wall on Brincliffe Edge road? I know it well ... is this the one he enhanced? I shall go up the hill and hug it one day knowing that it had been touched by Roger Moffat 💖💖

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0997533/

Edited by GinTreeS7