Whatever happened to Radio Hallam...

Martin Kelner has a regular sports column in the Guardian - I think it appears on Fridays. Might not be weekly though.

I used to write in to his show practically every week - my nom de plume was 'Gradgrind Slopweed'. Hilarious, I know. :o

It was a good show though - used to come on at 10pm and I'd get in at least half an hour's whisper-quiet listening under the duvet before nodding off around the time the 'Job Finder' slot came on at half past.

And how's that for a sign of the early eighties times? "Radio Hallam's job finder service, on air every week day at....."

I think Hallam went on the air in Oct 74. Listened to it

all the time back then -seemed to be fewer ads then.

Listened to it a few weeks ago and it only played FOUR

songs in the 25 mins !!! Never listen much

at all now.

Can anyone recall Moffat slagging off ELVIS after he

died ? Some Elvis fans beat him up outside the studio

later that night.

HAPPY DAYS

Good old Roger was never afraid to speak out on things he didnt like. he slagged off buses all the time, hairdressers, traffic wardens, the Council, Elvis, punk rock....you name it, he slammed it. And he got away with it!!!! can you see a DJ getting away eith saying anything vaguely controversial any more on Hallam FM?

Used to listen to the ray Stuart show in the afternoons, ROUNDABOUT I think it was called, in the days when ALL radio shows had a name and not just a DJ name. The lunchtime show was actually called LUNCH WITH A PUNCH, and everything had a name as in a proper title.

Who the hell are all these morons running Hallam FM? They sound like youth club DJ's gone wrong.....incapable of holding a conversation, just good at shouting down a nightclub mike at the very best. And THAT is NOT talented!!!!

I would be surprised if Hallam FM was the most listened to station in the area these days, like it used to be. I mention the word HALLAM FM and most people cringe or roll about.

Originally posted by panda79

beverly chubb where are you dear

My mum used to know her. She moved to Viking Radio in Hull. Last time my mum heard of her she was working in London in business.

Ray Stuart used to drink in the Crospool Tavern. It was the venue of choice for a lot of the Radio hallm crowd, and thus became a bit of a posers pub. Stuart always came across as a bit of a joddrell banker.

Roger Moffat was a brilliant broadcaster of the old school. He taught Wogan the tricks of the trade, and as mentioned in previous posts, died a broken man in a whisky soaked bedsit in broomhill. On the day Elvis died, old Rog went off on one on his morning show, ranting on about all the fuss that was being made over the kings passing. He said radio Hallam had bought the corpse and were having it stuffed so it could stand in the foyer at radio hallams studios to welcome visitors. A group of Sheffield teds took exeption to this and collared him as he left the studio. Gave him a right good hiding. Must have been a hell of a scrap. 4 big teds against an old man with a walking stick.....I hope their nobs drop off.

Remember him? I went out with him in the 1970s - 1977/78.

Wish I hadn't ...............

He is an MBE now by all accounts.

thers's nowt wrong with hallam fm its a great radio station :headbang:

Guest bostonaire

once came to our house when i was a kid cos my brother had been on his night show playing a tune through his bicycle handle bars!!!! what was all that about?? lol

It's Hallams 30th Birthday,I used to live across the road from Ray Stuart,he was a big bloke ,used to talk for ages with all the kids in the area,he was a smashing fella sad to hear he passed away some time ago.

Mojo, re the hilarious and sadly missed Roger Moffatt; in his pre-Hallam days, didn't he get the boot from BBC Radio for giving out a false gale warning?! I agree with your comments, by the way. Some dreadful people just can't take a joke.

the best thing on hallam fm is phoneboy's show in the evenings he is really funny :heyhey::clap: