Where can I buy cheap Leylandii trees?

Does anyone know where I can get cheap Leylandii's, I need approx 40?

I don't think you're allowed to plant them anymore.

if you need 40 leylandi, you are going to upset someone big time.

Unless you are prepared for a lifetime of lopping and living in the dark don't plant Leylandii. Put mine in about 15 years ago cost £1 each. Must have spent over £1000 having them trimmed (to keep below 40ft high) every couple of years and then to have them felled last year. Not a value for money option.

Just had a quick bing to see if they are actually banned these days. Found out you can get fined £1000 if your neighbours complain they're too high ... :o

I chopped down those we inherited, a day after we moved in. My neighbour used to chuck beans over the fence as thanks saying his onions were 3 times bigger than when the leylandii was there. I clogged the chainsaw up, they are really pithy and it won't burn for months until it's dried out.

Daskew188 don't do it, unless you are moving out and hate your neighbours, your neighbours race stockcars round the garden or you live next to the M1.

Leylandi make a lovely hedge. Much better than a privet hedge.

Keep them to about six foot or less and they are no problem.

I have to trim them far fewer times than the two privet hedges I have.

Just had a quick bing to see if they are actually banned these days. Found out you can get fined £1000 if your neighbours complain they're too high ... :o
A link would be useful. What's too high?

I doubt a six foot hedge is too high.

my neighbours got them 30ft high,they hang over my side of the fence,but i trim them back and chuck her the cuttings.

I'm not personally a lover of leylandi but I agree with Allen that they do make a lovely hedge if kept properly.

We have a large amount of privet hedging here where we live and that also takes a lot of looking after.

We trim ours twice a year and in some places it must be at least 9' high but this is because we are on a steep slope. If that part of the hedging was lower, then privacy would be compromised.

So long as all neighbouring properties are in agreement with the height and maintainance of a hedge which forms a boundary, then there should be no reason for dispute.

To actually prosecute somebody under the "high hedges" law is probably like wading through clay. It's not recommended either unless you have plenty of spare cash.

I think the rule of thumb for the height of a fence is 6', but trellising added on top of the fence doesn't count.

For hedges I think the recommended height is 8' but having not checked all of this out......I stand to be corrected.

Even very high hedges can provide a benefit so long as they are in the right places. An example would be at the end of a garden which faces onto a busy road. Who could possibly complain about a hedge which has been planted in order to reduce road noise especially if it doesn't back onto a neighbouring property?

Therefore it makes sense that no actual law will govern the height of a hedge. It's still a very grey area.

As for the OP asking where he/she can purchase them from. If you have family or friends who allready have leylandi then it's very simple to grow your own. Simply snip off the growing tips and stick them in compost. Within a few months they will have rooted and will be ready for planting. They grow like weeds. lol.