Netbooks - advice wanted

It was the Toshiba NB200 that I saw cheap in Asda the other week, just found the new version, NB300 & it looks even better (to me): http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.208-5005.aspx

I've not used one, but there's something about the design that I really like. Usually I wouldn't consider looks when choosing a computer, but I think I'm in love. I'll probably be a bit disappointed if I do get one though.

The whole context of a 'netbook' is for using it for internet and chat - hence the terminology. If it's not needed for anything else then fine. My preference is for a desktop for everything else.

regards,

swarfendor43

I think Steve Jobs summed it when he said that they weren't very good at anything, and even the bloke from Dell (who make them) reckons that most people who get them are dissappointed after 24hrs.

They fill a niche. If you aren't in that niche, then you'd be better off with a full sized laptop or desktop. Netbooks are useful if you need something light & portable with a good battery life. If you expect it to replace a desktop or a full sized laptop, then you'll be disappointed.

I still don't see the point of an iPad though, or how that's good at anything. I don't think Steve chose his words wisely in that speech. They don't seem to do well in comparisons with Netbooks. They cost more, don't have a proper keyboard, software, root access, multitasking, or a pointing device & the screen is just going to get covered in finger smudges. It's more like an iphone, that you can't make calls on, or fit in your pocket, or take photos on, or connect to 3g. It seems to be missing any feature that anybody would want.

In defence of netbooks, I would not be without mine, An Advent 4211C (MSI Wind U100). I use mine for all sorts of tasks,certainly more than email and general internet access. I have upgraded the memory to 2GB and run Photoshop CS2 for basic image manipulation with ease. I find the portability of netbooks over standard laptops a big bonus, and because they are much lighter, easier to use on your lap for longer.

see below im new to this quoting

Edited by This-is-it

If you want something to use out and about then a netbook might be OK (easier to carry and less obtrusive) but -the battery life isn't all it's cracked up to be,

have to disagree mate!

I have a Eee pc netbook excellent battery life up to 7-8 hours!

my hp laptop average battery life up to 2 hours

Edited by This-is-it

I think this is what pattricia is looking for!

regards,

swarfendor43

Thanks swarf I have taken note of this.:)

From experience of a test of netbooks at work.

If you're only using them at home a laptop is far, far better.

If you want something to use out and about then a netbook might be OK (easier to carry and less obtrusive) but -the battery life isn't all it's cracked up to be, the small keyboard can be a pain and usually to connect to the internet you need an internal wireless card which from experience can be pretty hit and miss - doesn't seem to have anything like the range of a laptop which has the hardware on the processor.

In the right environment - say bang next to a reliable access point on a train - a netbook is OK for surfing the web and e-mail - and that's about it.

They are also handy for doing presentations in that they take up less room than a lap top on the speakers podium.

same cards in the netbooks as are in the laptops

some are better than others and ive swapped 1 out of a broken eepc and put it into the wifes advent laptop because for connection and range it ****** all over the 1 that was in hers

I upgraded my Eeepc 904hd from 1gb ram and 160gb HDD to 2gb ram and 500GB HDD for about £60 via eBay.

Now i just carry around a small'ish machine crammed with video and MP3's.I tend to find the nearest HIFI or LCD TV and plug the thing in to watch and listen. I do light surfing and the odd photo editing on Adobe Photoshop CS4.

It's crammed with retro games like GTA Vice city/ San Andreas, Battlefield 1942,Medal of Honor Allied Assault, Need for speed's,Comand and Conqures,Call of Duty,Operation Flashpoint,rise of nations,Halo,Age of empires and conflict desert storm 1,2 Vietnam.

Oh and it also runs Windows 7 Ultimate !!!

Thats quiet a lot packet into just a "net machine" :hihi:

I quiet like them and i wouldn't mind the Atom 1.6ghtz one.