Sign in to follow this  

Windows Application Development Advice Wanted

Anyone have experience developing Win32 applications, using Visual C++, and possibly DirectX ?

I've done some VC++ and DirectX work, what you need help with?

Originally posted by xafier

I've done some VC++ and DirectX work, what you need help with?

Hi xafier :)

I want to re-develop this using a more standard windows API system, rather than how it currently works (a full screen direct-x app, with my own GUI).

I used direct-x because there's a lot of tricky visual / graphical manipulation stuff going off and I wanted the application to update (re-draw) smoothly (@ 60 or more times a second).

Ideally I'd like to re-develop it using GDI, end users would be more comfortable with an application that has a familiar windows GUI style, however, I fear for performance.

Perhaps the best solution would be to use windows with direct-x just using the client area of the window, that make sense?

If you're on msn xafier, and you don't mind me picking your brain, please PM me your addy.

Cheers :)

hmm, to be honest I think your probably best sticking directX for most of it, GDI can be rather slow, if I remember correctly GDI still goes through the windows layer which of course is a slow down... thats the advantage of directX is that it talks directly to the hardware and performance is a lot better.

You could obviously re-do the application with with VC++ and MFC and just create the drop down menus etc and put all the drawing inside the form with directX. that would probably work a bit better. but i'm pretty much certain that you'll lose performance using GDI's blitting techniques compared with directX

anyways I'm no expert on it, do some reading up, theres plenty of sites on directX and such as I'm sure you'll know as a developer :)

if you want to contact me http://www.xafiers-home.com/index.php?section=contact ;) but bare in mind i might be a bit slow as I'm working full time now on my work placement... learning the slowness of GDI+ myself at the moment with creating an automated diagramming tool in C# :?