History of Sheffield steel industry and people

I can not believe that anyone could make such comments regarding Bessemer and Faraday. Surely the levels of education have not gone so low as to see things like this on Sheffield Forum.

I can not believe that anyone could make such comments regarding Bessemer and Faraday. Surely the levels of education have not gone so low as to see things like this on Sheffield Forum.

Could be, but most of it is satire.

I left school at 15, but remember they took us to see symphony concerts at City Hall, and sent us apprentices to that same City Hall, to hear the "Faraday Lectures". A classical music program "For the Schools" at 11.am gave me my lifelong love of classical music.

It's all on YouTube now, I presume.

You never noticed my eye roll symbol, I take it?;)

Far more important to have a Sir Cliff, Mick, Paul and Rod surely:rolleyes:

How did Jagger and (especially) Stewart qualify ? I believe they live outside the U.K. for tax purposes, very patriotic ! And as for 'the Mod', I would rather hear Michael Faraday and Henry Bessemer sing !

Edited by stpetre
add

How did Jagger and (especially) Stewart qualify ? I believe they live outside the U.K. for tax purposes, very patriotic ! And as for 'the Mod', I would rather hear Michael Faraday and Henry Bessemer sing !

Tom Jones and Sean Connery were "tax exiles" during all of their big earning years. My wife has seen Connery's mansion in the Bahamas. Knighthoods are meaningless these days, that's why David Bowie refused one four years ago.

Faraday and Bessemer eh? Has a kind of Simon and Garfunkel feel to it, don't you think?:cool:

Edited by TORONTONY

Tom Jones and Sean Connery were "tax exiles" during all of their big earning years. My wife has seen Connery's mansion in the Bahamas. Knighthoods are meaningless these days, that's why David Bowie refused one four years ago.

Faraday and Bessemer eh? Has a kind of Simon and Garfunkel feel to it, don't you think?:cool:

Yes and no Mr.T. When the achievements of the singing duo surpass those of the other two great industrial pioneers and their contribution to better the modern world (and Sheffield), then perhaps !

Edited by stpetre
add

Geoffrey Tweedale's book "Giants of Sheffield Steel" is an excellent read about ten Sheffield-born 'giants' from the golden age of steelmaking. It was published in 1986 by Sheffield City Libraries; City Archives will no doubt have a copy.

I realise this post is old. I am wanting to find out about Attercliffe steel works during the late 30s and early 40s .  I no longer live in Sheffield and the internet is not giving me the information I need. Can any one help?  I am looking for memories (whether your own or stories you were told) of what it was like, sights, smells etc. Conditions, difficulty of jobs etc. What the area looked like. Thanks in advance :)