History of Sheffield steel industry and people

Hi Peter yes I remember the pub don't know what it is now I spent a few hours in there when it was a pub it is sad no Tempered Springs at the back of it they made a lot types of coil springs its all gone now Brian

Hi Peter yes I remember the pub don't know what it is now I spent a few hours in there when it was a pub it is sad no Tempered Springs at the back of it they made a lot types of coil springs its all gone now Brian

I know how you feel Brian :(. I live 100 miles away from Sheffield now, but visit family, friends and old places there around once a month. I'll try to have a look at the pub when I'm next nearby. It's sad that the old places have gone, but we still have memories and photos :)

As a sales representative in the early '70s selling industrial floor maintenance equipment for 'Kent Panda', a subsidiary of 'Izal 'on the 'Newton Chambers' site at Chapeltown, I once called on a firm on the right hand side of Warren Street just off Attercliffe Road nearest the Norfolk Bridge end. Not 100% sure it was Tempered Springs but certainly in the steel industry. I dealt with, I recall the works manager, Keith Riley on that occasion who told me that Bob Precious worked there too, I think as a director or so I was told. My point is that they both had worked in the Progress and Planning office with me when I was the office junior in 1959 at Firth Browns. A long shot, but did you know either of them?? They would be knocking 80 if still with us.

Peter.

Edited by PeterR

No Peter don't know them guys the nearest guys I new was my foreman and Engineer Brian

Thanks Brian, knew it was an off chance.

Peter.

Edited by PeterR

Don't forget there are still steel forges up and running in Sheffield, such as Thos C Wild Ltd., IFA., Abbey Forge, Alcoa (Firth Rixson Forgings). Try their websites for info also :-)

Yes there are several forges still in operation, and many still employed in the steel industry, like my father. however it is a shadow of its former glory.

My Dad worked in steel till it went belly up, he worked in Sheffield First then settled at a job in Guest and Grimes http://www.rotherhamweb.co.uk/h/guestchrimes.htm

He was a mould Master, then like most he had to find out who would employ and he became a night security guard like a lot did, Still working now and in his 70's.

One of the memories I have is the heat as you were on the bus going down Brightside lane you could feel how hot the furnaces where just from the road, now all memories, some good some bad, but never forgotten.

Loved reading this. I am writing novel about Sheffield in the 60's.... I don't know very much about working in the steelworks only stories my dad told, so this is all fantastic. I'm looking for nicknames people used... or any stories. Loved learning about the swing grinders... omg what a terrible job. http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/images/smilies/help.gif What other jobs, stories, nicknames do you have?

Cheers

Julie

When I graduated from university back in the late 60s, I couldn't find a job that fitted my qualifications in the UK. So, for a few months, to keep body and soul together, I worked in a machine shop just off the bottom of the Moor. The layout was that of a yard, surrounded by walls in which the various processes took place. My job was to dip the threaded ends of bolts one by one into a bucket of liquid plastic then set them out to dry. I wish I could remember the name of that firm. Opposite it was a shop that sold dripping cakes and egg and bacon sandwiches. Anyone any idea what firm it may have been? I'd probably recognize the name.

Might that firm have been 'Tyzack's' ?

Hi! Julie,

Seems my additional thread did not get through, it was some further comments about Nick-Names but no matter.

What I have noticed was that on an earlier post about 1960's Radio you made some comments. I don't know if you are aware of this item on You Tube called 'Sunday dinner- Radio memories'.

I found it just browsing but its amazing! Its just as I remember.

You ought to watch it.

This may be an old post but here goes: How much did Michael Faraday and Henry Bessemer and their inventive principles have to do with the 'Sheffield industrial revolution' ? Neither were born in Sheffield and I have no info of them residing there. Yet two adjoining streets in Attercliffe (Brightside) seem to commemorate them (the old 'Low Drop' was exactly there !). I suppose where the nearby works and former premises of 'Woodhouse and Rixon', 'Arthur Lee' etc once were had something to do with that. I notice that as well as Faraday and Bessemer other great innovators from that era i.e: George Stephenson and Isambard Kingdom Brunel did not receive 'Knighthoods' or similar. Yet in today's world that can be bestowed for having along running television show or being a football team manager !

This may be an old post but here goes: How much did Michael Faraday and Henry Bessemer and their inventive principles have to do with the 'Sheffield industrial revolution' ? Neither were born in Sheffield and I have no info of them residing there. Yet two adjoining streets in Attercliffe (Brightside) seem to commemorate them (the old 'Low Drop' was exactly there !). I suppose where the nearby works and former premises of 'Woodhouse and Rixon', 'Arthur Lee' etc once were had something to do with that. I notice that as well as Faraday and Bessemer other great innovators from that era i.e: George Stephenson and Isambard Kingdom Brunel did not receive 'Knighthoods' or similar. Yet in today's world that can be bestowed for having along running television show or being a football team manager !

Far more important to have a Sir Cliff, Mick, Paul and Rod surely:rolleyes: