2 nights wild camping

Loads of people on here are rather 'camp' and wild as well, specially when you draw attention to the fact. Never been much of a camper, too cold , too wet but may be OK in warmer climes.

And you are entitled to that opinion. :hihi:

As i said it's not for everyone, some people find enjoyment in snuggling up before a blazing log fire or staying in a nice hotel, me, i prefer a wild camp with a friend or two, if i get cold so be it, it makes the sunrise oh so much more welcoming.

We all walk our own path to enjoyment, be it caravanning, camp site camping, wild camping, ice climbing, staying at Everest base camp or even climbing Everest, we all have a similar affinity for the outdoors, as long as we return refreshed and with a sense of fulfilment where's the problem. ?

We won't always see eye to eye and that's how it should be, what suits one is another's nightmare but ultimately we strive for the same goal, a few beers in good company, a great view and fresh air.

Our own particular take on the outdoors and discussion of such should never be a case of "i've done "Y" you've done "X" therefore i'm superior, it just doesn't work that way, we all learn from each other and be there for each other should we decide one day to try a different path and draw on each others experiences, that is what a forum is for.

There is no right or wrong, better or worse in the outdoors world, a solitary wild camp is every bit as fulfilling as a group camp, i know as i've done both depending on my mood at the time, i'll do both many times before i shuffle off this mortal coil i hope and i'll enjoy both, this isn't about one-upmanship, it's about the great outdoors and the pleasure we take from it.

Before the year is out i'l be camping alone on Helvellyn and bunking with 20 + people on a group walk i'm leading.

This isn't a competition, it's about getting out there and enjoying ourselves in the way we choose, well that's how i see it, correct me if i'm wrong. :huh:

Well said my friend

Well maybe i'm an idealist but the more people i can draw on for experience the more i'll learn, for instance i wouldn't have a clue how to set up a trailer tent or a even a 4 man tent for that matter, i'd hope that if i ever needed to though someone here would be forthcoming with the info i need as i would be if anyone decided they needed company for a first wild camp.

Lets all play nice eh. :hihi:

Sounds like you had a great weekend, Megalithic. I would have loved to have spent the weekend wild camping however, I decided to give the peaks a miss and went up to York and spent the day walking the castle wall and scaling the Minster.

It is a contentious subject Scoobz but not one i would fall out over, we're all allowed our personal views and i take your point, thing is, if you happened upon the place i'd stayed for the night once i'd packed up there'd be no trace i'd ever been there, every single scrap of litter goes straight in a bag, no matter how small, no fires ever, hell i even brush the grass back up so as not to alert anyone to me ever having been there.

I do accept though some people aren't as fastidious as myself in their behaviour, you should have seen some of the crap by our first nights camp, broken bottles, tea bags, toilet waste etc etc, people like that deserve their arse kicked, they are going directly against the reason why they go there, unspoilt beauty.

Believe me if i see anyone treating the countryside with anything other than total respect for others i'd kick their arse and then report them too, 2 of my very good friends are Peak park rangers. : )

That's the way I do it as well. Treat the countryside with respect and leave no trace you've ever been there. My own extra little condition is that I only camp on areas that are open access and there is a right to roam. Although camping is not specifically covered with this legislation I figure if no one has a problem with you walking in those areas at any time why would they want to stop you having an extended rest there overnight:)

Nice to hear your well put views megalithic, three of us are walking the Yorkshire wolds way in July and using separate tarp shelters and we are very sociable people. As you say its all about doing your own thing..cheers for a good thread

Thanks, have a good walk and call back here to post your walk report, i'd be interested in reading about your trip.

Just thought I'd clarify for anyone who is under the impression wild camping is legal in England, it is not. In Scotland, their open access rights make it legal to wild camp within reason, but in England and Wales it is completely illegal unless you have permission. However - when you are camping wild, how many people do you come across in the middle of the night? That is usually the rationale applied.

We were also out camping and walking this weekend and didn't see you pitched, so I guess you managed to camp without disturbing anyone or leaving any sign you had been there, glad you had a good trip and made the most of the weather :)

So long as people are responsible there's absolutely nothing wrong with wild camping and everything right about it.

There is a code to wild camping in England and Wales though. Broadly it is as follows:

* The pitch must be out of view of any road

* You must erect your tent last thing and strike camp first thing

* Where you camp should be at least 600m above sea level (hence nowhere in the Peak District - but this is a code and not a set of rules)

* You can not light a fire (for many good reasons)

* You must not leave any litter (including your loo paper!)

* And on that note – all ablutions need to be done in a hole and at least 30m down hill of any water source

Get out there and enjoy!

I dont bother with a tent for wild camping, just jump in my big camouflaged bivvi bag.

The last time I tried to walk to the coast I got woken up by a golfer teeing off about 10m away. All good fun.