2 nights wild camping

Despite the threat of nasty weather, Thursday night i picked up a friend from Nottinghamshire at Sheffield train station and we headed out into Derbyshire just as the sun was setting.

We parked up at the Fox house Inn and headed for our first pitch in the dark, it wasn't too far a walk and we quickly had our tents up, gathered water, had some food and a nip of Southern Comfort before getting our heads down for an early start Friday where we headed over the moors to Higgor tor to meet another of our friends whom had driven up from London to spend a night with us.

We found our friend then did a 10 mile route taking in Hathersage, Totley, Big and Ramsley moors before finding a spot for the night on another close by moor.

This morning we woke to torrential rain that luckily cleared as we started to pack away our gear for the walk back to the parking spot taking in the length of Curbar and Froggatt edges in glorious sunshine. :D

We didn't see many other people, probably put off by the forecast, so glad we weren't, today was heaven on earth despite being dressed for winter walking, though the layers quickly came off as we walked.

A great couple of days in excellent company. :hihi:

Thursday nights pitch, pic taken Friday morning. -

http://i40.tinypic.com/246jl0i.jpg

Friday nights pitch, taken this morning. -

http://i39.tinypic.com/34o616f.jpg

As always, all our rubbish was carried out and no trace we'd ever been there was left.

Love it megalithic,thats the reason i bought my 1st one man tent.

Feel rather weird posting on this thread, cos I have a 2 man, and a 4 man tent, and prefer company when I camp cos I like to think that I'm a pretty sociable type of person. Also, prefer to camp legally, and as a Group Leader I would have thought you would have kept your illegal activities quiet too Mega.

Feel rather weird posting on this thread, cos I have a 2 man, and a 4 man tent, and prefer company when I camp cos I like to think that I'm a pretty sociable type of person. Also, prefer to camp legally, and as a Group Leader I would have thought you would have kept your illegal activities quiet too Mega.

Scoobz, wild camping isn't illegal at all, i don't know where you got that idea, though a lot of people do think the same.

As for being sociable, me too, the first night i was with a friend and the second day another of my friends from london joined us for the night, we sat around and talked well past sunset.

Your third point is obviously answered above but i'm pretty sure the people who gave me the role were well aware of my activities, it's not like i try to hide them, indeed, i actively help people with locations and advice on wild camping, as long as i judge them responsible people, my gut feeling hasn't let me down yet either. ;)

You really should try wild camping, it gives you a freedom that site camping can't offer, there's nothing like waking atop some hill or mountain and watching the sun rise before the crowds move in.

Edited by megalithic

I just thought that it was illegal to put a tent on land that wasn't intended for camping. If what you say is true, I must be wrong. Mind you, I bet someone would say something if you pitched a tent in the Peace Gardens!

Apologies too re the sociable thing, I wasn't suggesting you were unsociable I know you aren't :)

Well technically it isn't illegal, your not breaking the law in anyway but you could face a private court case if you failed to move on when asked to do so, it would never come to that though as when wild camping you wouldn't pitch in the same spot twice anyway, the laws that cover this are more aimed at traveller groups taking up residence on private land, a police officer has no power to move you on at all.

Btw, if you did pitch in the peace gardens the laws are exactly the same.

As for being sociable, i still owe you a drink. : )

I don't want to argue with you, cos you've obviously got your own point of view on this, but even if it isn't illegal, I think a lot of people would think that it's not right for people to put their tents in places they aren't supposed to. If everybody did it, the countryside would be ruined. I admire anybody who can be self-sufficient in this way though, and it does sound exciting. Don't think there's any way I'd get 'er indoors to do it though :)

It is a contentious subject Scoobz but not one i would fall out over, we're all allowed our personal views and i take your point, thing is, if you happened upon the place i'd stayed for the night once i'd packed up there'd be no trace i'd ever been there, every single scrap of litter goes straight in a bag, no matter how small, no fires ever, hell i even brush the grass back up so as not to alert anyone to me ever having been there.

I do accept though some people aren't as fastidious as myself in their behaviour, you should have seen some of the crap by our first nights camp, broken bottles, tea bags, toilet waste etc etc, people like that deserve their arse kicked, they are going directly against the reason why they go there, unspoilt beauty.

Believe me if i see anyone treating the countryside with anything other than total respect for others i'd kick their arse and then report them too, 2 of my very good friends are Peak park rangers. : )

Just because i recently purchased a 1 man tent,dont make me an unsociable person.

Camping has always been a big passion of mine,i own a lovely trailer tent,which i try to use 3-4 times a year with my family,but there again if the odd murder mystery or trip on a folk train is on the agenda,then perhaps that makes me an unsociable person :hihi::hihi::hihi:

I have all the kit needed,for a family week/weekend out, packed in my trailer tent.

Cooker

Fridge

bedding

pots & pans

plates & cutlery

Tv (with free view)

radio.

Electric hook up

But i also like to be self contained,and travel a little lighter when i venture out dossing in the peak district.

Tent

sleeping bag

Burner

food.

We all walk our own path to enjoyment, be it caravanning, camp site camping, wild camping, ice climbing, staying at Everest base camp or even climbing Everest, we all have a similar affinity for the outdoors, as long as we return refreshed and with a sense of fulfilment where's the problem. ?

We won't always see eye to eye and that's how it should be, what suits one is another's nightmare but ultimately we strive for the same goal, a few beers in good company, a great view and fresh air.

Our own particular take on the outdoors and discussion of such should never be a case of "i've done "Y" you've done "X" therefore i'm superior, it just doesn't work that way, we all learn from each other and be there for each other should we decide one day to try a different path and draw on each others experiences, that is what a forum is for.

There is no right or wrong, better or worse in the outdoors world, a solitary wild camp is every bit as fulfilling as a group camp, i know as i've done both depending on my mood at the time, i'll do both many times before i shuffle off this mortal coil i hope and i'll enjoy both, this isn't about one-upmanship, it's about the great outdoors and the pleasure we take from it.

Before the year is out i'l be camping alone on Helvellyn and bunking with 20 + people on a group walk i'm leading.

This isn't a competition, it's about getting out there and enjoying ourselves in the way we choose, well that's how i see it, correct me if i'm wrong. :huh:

Edited by megalithic

Loads of people on here are rather 'camp' and wild as well, specially when you draw attention to the fact. Never been much of a camper, too cold , too wet but may be OK in warmer climes.