What was Sharrow like in the early 1970s?

I used to live on sharrow lane. I remember Washington road shops. I used to have a paper round from the news agent on Washington road.

In the 1970s My Father used to be youth leader and ran sharrow youth club which was part of sharrow st johns.

I used to live on Hobart st in the 50's and I remember there was a bakers or some such on the corner of Langdon Street and when it was cold, but too early to go home we used to stand with our backs to the wall where the ovens were and keep warm. The Sheffield artist Joe Scarborough used to live on Langdon St. I moved onto my own house on Fentonville St in '66 and worked behind the bar in the new Cross Guns. It was a great place to live then, sadly now, not so much. I moved to North Anston in the 70's as the Housing Associations were moving in problem families and it had started going downhill.

I used to live on Hobart st in the 50's and I remember there was a bakers or some such on the corner of Langdon Street and when it was cold, but too early to go home we used to stand with our backs to the wall where the ovens were and keep warm. The Sheffield artist Joe Scarborough used to live on Langdon St. I moved onto my own house on Fentonville St in '66 and worked behind the bar in the new Cross Guns. It was a great place to live then, sadly now, not so much. I moved to North Anston in the 70's as the Housing Associations were moving in problem families and it had started going downhill.

Did you know the Gilks family on Hobart Street? Lived at number 30 in those years.

I have only just found this thread, hope the original posters are still active on here. My grandparents lived on Club Garden Road, 144-148, Furniture upholsterers and cabinet makers. Does anyone remember them or have any photos's of these premises. With regards to Wostenholm Road, CW Holmes the fruiterer was my uncle.

I went to the old Sharrow Lane School and left at the age of 15 in April 1952. I have a photograph of the remaining class (some had left at Xmas 1951) Lets see if the caption of the photo rings any bells (I can't send the pic as I only have a laptop) ~ Tony Glaves, Graham Frolish, Graham Nicholson, Ron Hibberd, Roy Robinson, Peter Hayes, Stuart Pass, Tony (bomber) Baines*, Alan Rhodes, Alan Bentley*, Michael Hitchens, David Foster, Donald Stevenson, Bill Smith, Arthur Gilchrist*, Ray Austin, Brian Chapman*, Terry Habershon, Graham Jones*, Peter Wainwright, Brian Milner, Douglas Curr*. The bulk of the class lived within a 5 minute walk of the school. *Known to be deceased.

COME ON LADS, WHERE ARE YOU, PLEASE GET IN TOUCH ! ! !

Edited by sharrovian
addition and alteration

Hi, anyone remember the pie shop at the top of sherrington road ( sharrow ) 50s/60s. Was wholesale made on the premises pies only.but sometimes they would sell the pies red hot at lunch time, tasted fantastic

I started at Sharrow lane school in1941-42 and the first day or two was spent in the adjacent church as the school yard was full of rubble due to the war, I understand the church has gone and the site has a Tesco on it.

Hi sharrovian,

I think I know terry, I can pass your details on.

S

A real long shot here !!

There was a guy lived on the corner of Grange Crescent and Sharrow Lane called Bert Eccles. He was in the building trade.

Anyone know of him. Did he have any children ?

Across the road from Bert once lived a guy called Addy Clapham who was a silversmith with premises on Cambridge Street.

Family connections with those 2 from many years ago !!

A real long shot here !!

There was a guy lived on the corner of Grange Crescent and Sharrow Lane called Bert Eccles. He was in the building trade.

Anyone know of him. Did he have any children ?

Across the road from Bert once lived a guy called Addy Clapham who was a silversmith with premises on Cambridge Street.

Family connections with those 2 from many years ago !!

What sort of timescale?

...Across the road from Bert once lived a guy called Addy Clapham who was a silversmith with premises on Cambridge Street...
"Addy Thompson Clapham" turns up in old directories at 223 Sharrow Lane. Public records show that he was born in Sheffield on 19 March 1902 and married Stella Davies in 1923; they evidently had three daughters Eileen, Patricia and Erica. Earlier directories show him as a "works manager" (1931) and "traveller" (1937-42) but by 1950 he was a "manufacturing silversmith and electro plate manufacturer" with premises on Cambridge Street. By this time he had moved to Crosspool, and by 1953 to Thornhill, near Bamford. He died in 1975.

"Addy Thompson Clapham" turns up in old directories at 223 Sharrow Lane. Public records show that he was born in Sheffield on 19 March 1902 and married Stella Davies in 1923; they evidently had three daughters Eileen, Patricia and Erica. Earlier directories show him as a "works manager" (1931) and "traveller" (1937-42) but by 1950 he was a "manufacturing silversmith and electro plate manufacturer" with premises on Cambridge Street. By this time he had moved to Crosspool, and by 1953 to Thornhill, near Bamford. He died in 1975.

Hi Hillsbro and thanks. Some of that info re Addy Clapham I already have.

Would be interesting to locate his daughters.

Prior to him moving to Thornhill near Bamford, my Dad worked on his house and on the odd Saturday I went out as a city kid into that marvellous location. That was in 1951.

I also with Dad went into Addy's office on Cambridge St, I think that occasion was the first time I had ever seen a telephone and somebody using it.

I also with my parents had a ride in Addy's car, an Austin England, first time in a car was that.

---------- Post added 21-10-2016 at 20:26 ----------

What sort of timescale?

Good evening * ash *

I unfortunately have no idea when Bert Eccles died.

My Dad from memory, stopped working for him in the mid fifties.

Bert Eccles had relatives at Rotherham.