What was Sharrow like in the early 1970s?

Who remembers their grandmothers and mothers going to Mrs Wrights on Washington rd to have their feet done.When I first married in 1964 I lived in a flat around the corner on Grange Crescent and loved the area but now oh no it has gone right down the pan.In those days it was a lovely community with plenty of shops and pubs and and had a soul in it now at night it is very foreboding.

When I was a youngster in the fourties my mother and aunt and grandmother would take me with them form Shirecliffe to have their feet done,I never complained because Mrs Wright always let me wait in her back room with a big cream firestove in it and she would put a Crunchie bar in my hand and give me a comic to read while they were done.Many years later I was walking past her house and she was just going out as she turned round she recognized me immediatly and insisted we had a cuppa together,a really nice lady.

Who remembers their grandmothers and mothers going to Mrs Wrights on Washington rd to have their feet done.When I first married in 1964 I lived in a flat around the corner on Grange Crescent and loved the area but now oh no it has gone right down the pan.In those days it was a lovely community with plenty of shops and pubs and and had a soul in it now at night it is very foreboding.

Was she just on from the Sharrow Lane lights, opposite the flats? I remember my gran used to go to one of the old houses on Washington Rd to an oldish lady for her feet doing.

I don't remember Hezeltines as hezeltines, I only remember it when Mrs Hill (Betty Hill) took it over)

'Hazeltines' shop was ran by a Mr Frank A. Pegg in 1954, but by 1968 Mrs Hazeltine had got the shop. Mary Hazeltine was born in 1912 and died in Sheffield in 1995. I think Betty Hill took the shop over sometime in the 1980s and was the final person to run the premises as a shop.

http://thewookie.co.uk/skyscraper/hazletine0410.jpg

http://thewookie.co.uk/skyscraper/hazletine409.jpg

Pulfreys shop (Sharrow Lne corner of Fentonville St), was previously owned by a John Morton in 1942 and still in 1954, but by 1968 it was owned by the Pulfreys, who were the last to own the shop before it was demolished around 1977/8.

Edited by Joe9T

'Hazeltines' shop was ran by a Mr Frank A. Pegg in 1954, but by 1968 Mrs Hazeltine had got the shop. Mary Hazeltine was born in 1912 and died in Sheffield in 1995. I think Betty Hill took the shop over sometime in the 1980s and was the final person to run the premises as a shop.

http://thewookie.co.uk/skyscraper/hazletine0410.jpg

http://thewookie.co.uk/skyscraper/hazletine409.jpg

Pulfreys shop was previously owned by a John Morton in 1942 and still in 1954, but by 1968 it was owned by the Pulfreys, who were the last to own the shop before it was demolished around 1977/8.

(my bold)

yes I seem to think that is correct... I'm pretty certain that Mrs Hill closed the shop in the mid, possibly late 1990s.

Was she just on from the Sharrow Lane lights, opposite the flats? I remember my gran used to go to one of the old houses on Washington Rd to an oldish lady for her feet doing.
Yes it was but she wasnt old when I knew her:D

Yes, I remember Mr Allott, when he owned and ran the newsagents on Wostenholm Rd. I didn't know him personally, just knew him from my experience of him when I went to his shop. A funny story did occur in the early 70s, during the power cuts (around 1973), when my brothers went into the shop late afternoon after school, when all of a sudden all of the power went off and Mr Allott shouted "nobody move", frightened that his shop might be pilfered in the darkness. My mum says he was a nice gentleman and another has said he never trusted anyone to the point that he would climb ladders in the shop backwards, so that he could keep his eye on the customer.

WE do have a chuckle about the power cut incident many a time and all the shops on that stretch were the creme de la creme. Shame that they are not like that anymore. Just further up Sharrow Lne from Wostenholm Rd, were two other fine shops in Hazeltines (corner of Priory Rd) and Pulfreys (corner of Fentonville St). I was born in 1965, so recall these shops from after that period up until I moved from the area in 1979. I am now back in the area, only a stones throw away from where I was brought up and the area has most definately lost it's pride.

Very interested to read this. I wonder if Joe9T's mum remembers Mr Allott's wife Joan and whether or not the couple had any children. I have a friend who thinks she may be related to Joan. My friend is not well at the moment and any information would give her such a boost. Do please get in touch if you have any more information rgreenstreet@btinternet.com

Very interested to read this. I wonder if Joe9T's mum remembers Mr Allott's wife Joan and whether or not the couple had any children. I have a friend who thinks she may be related to Joan. My friend is not well at the moment and any information would give her such a boost. Do please get in touch if you have any more information rgreenstreet@btinternet.com

I shall ask my Mum if she recalls Joan and let you know. :)

BTW I have been in the Central library today looking at the history of Wostenholm Road shops and who owned them in years gone by. When I have collated all the information, which I have found very fascinating indeed, I shall post my findings on here in the hopefully not too distant future.:thumbsup:

I shall ask my Mum if she recalls Joan and let you know. :)

BTW I have been in the Central library today looking at the history of Wostenholm Road shops and who owned them in years gone by. When I have collated all the information, which I have found very fascinating indeed, I shall post my findings on here in the hopefully not too distant future.:thumbsup:

That would be wonderful thank you so much Joe9T. ANY information would be fantastic and look forward to seeing your research.

My mother and step father lived at Priory Terrace, it was Four bed roomed with inside bathroom upstairs just off Sharrow. Yes they pulled down a lot of the little terraced houses to put up the flats but I don't think it improved the area

The butchers on Wostenholm Road was owned by the husband of the singer Marty Cain. It was a few shops down from the traffic lights.

I think I have a photo of the street party we had on Priory for the Queens 25th