23 Bar & Restaurant - Review

Date reviewed: 1 April 2010

WHEN we learnt that a group of eight colleagues couldn't be accommodated at HaHa Bar & Grill for an Easter meal, we naturally opted to head to 23 Bar & Restaurant for our meal. I had eaten there once before in 2007 but the menu seemed completely different - as did the presentation of the food.

Still, my earlier visit had left me with positive feelings towards 23. The food had been excellent on that occasion and the service is always attentive without being intrusive. On arrival at 6pm, the few of us who were on time were treated to bottles of Peroni at the bar downstairs at only £2 each which, given the excellent atmosphere that 23 provides, is a snip. At 6.30pm, the team had arrived and we moved upstairs to be seated against the window looking out over the West One complex - only to see driving rain.

My starter, as was the case with four others at the table, was the Thai fishcakes in a creamy sweet chilli sauce. It was a revelation. The fishcake was light and flavoursome and the sauce was absolutely terrific. The cream did not make it heavy and the sweet chilli was powerful yet not dominant, still allowing the flavours from the wonderfully-cooked fishcakes to shine through. My fellow diners were similarly blown away by the starter and all made plain our approval to one another. The other diners opted for the Brie fritters which were similarly well-received and, by the time the waitress came back around to collect our plates, there was barely a scrap of food to be seen at the table.

For my main course, I plumped for the Cajun cod on a grilled aubergine and caramelised onion base. Elsewhere, 23's wonderful steaks seemed the order of the day with three diners opting for the sirloin and one for the T-bone steak. This meant a £2 and £4 supplement to the "two courses for £16" menu but it was a price worth paying once the plates were presented to you and you realise where the money has gone. The T-bone steak was nothing short of enormous; a slab of superbly-cooked and tasty meat accompanied in this instance by tomatoes and grilled mushrooms. The sirloins were also remarkably plump and, combined with chunky chips and peppercorn sauce (at £1.50 extra), they were wolfed down and thoroughly enjoyed by all.

The cod was sublime. The piece itself wasn't enormous but it was cooked to absolute perfection and the aubergines and onions were an apt accompaniment. The Cajun flavourings were discreet but definitely there and it added to, rather than overpowered, the flavour of the fish itself. This course was just supreme and a real testament to the patent ability of the chefs in 23's kitchen. Once again, as had been the case with the starters, the dishes were all finished off with not a moment of displeasure from anyone in the eight-strong dining group.

The young lady who served us was polite, humourous and attentive despite the restaurant being very busy by the time we left at 8pm. A large group of twenty-plus diners had just come in and yet we didn't feel like we were kept waiting at any point with the waitress, and at one point the restaurant supervisor, both manning their stations very well indeed. We were allowed a good half-hour after finishing our meals for coffee, beers and Babydolls and it was only of our own volition that we left feeling not at all pressured by the staff.

23 is a real success. Having known it for years as a bar and enjoying the ambience of the downstairs area very much, I can now couple that with my delight at what was a superb meal for all of the party. It will not be such a long time before I go back to this place having had such a fantastic experience on this occasion. It was very busy by 8pm and deservedly so - 23 has got something special going on and it warrants all the custom and success that comes its way.

The price per head came in at £16 plus drinks for those who opted to go with the normal menu and between £20 and £22 for those who wanted the enormous and well-cooked steaks on their plates. In total, the bill fell just shy of £200 for the eight of us but that was more down to the girls' fondness for Babydoll cocktails than exorbitant pricing. The drinks, in moderation, are on a par with any city centre establishment and the food bill was not a shock or annoyance to anyone. It is well worth paying for the wonderful, and unforgettable experience that is dining at 23.

Food: :love: (5/5)

Service: :D (5/5)

Value: :| (4/5)

OVERALL: :hihi: (4.5/5)

Shouldnt this be in the ads section.

Pathetic self promotion.

Thanks for the review, must try it :)

Pathetic self promotion.

To be fair his posting history doesn't indicate any relationship to 23 Bar.

Pathetic self promotion.

To be fair his posting history doesn't indicate any relationship to 23 Bar.

Indeed, I have none. :loopy:

Totally agree with the first comment. We went last week, and yes the food is really good!Definitley will return as it was without doubt one of the best meals I've eaten in the town centre. Also, I have no relationship with Bar 23 either as my posting history will tell you.

The food when I went was mediocre at best! The green curry was creamy to the point of being sickly, and the risotto was chewy and not very filling. Also, we had to wait 45 minutes before we were served our starter, which was the cold meat platter, so I can't imagine what took them so long:mad:

8 of us went to the 23 Bar last Saturday night-didnt really know what to expect to be honest.

When we were shown to our table i was amazed at the size of the place and the amount of people eating.It was packed and had a great atmosphere,it was really buzzing.

The Thai fishcakes were fantastic as were the deep fried brie.

4 of us had the Thai Green Curry and the others had the Chicken wrapped in bacon filled with black pudding.All the food was delicious and this is not a self promotion for gods sake,just my opinion.Good service and a great night was had by all.Would definately recommend it-give it a try.Well done to all.

Date reviewed: 1 April 2010

WHEN we learnt that a group of eight colleagues couldn't be accommodated at HaHa Bar & Grill for an Easter meal, we naturally opted to head to 23 Bar & Restaurant for our meal. I had eaten there once before in 2007 but the menu seemed completely different - as did the presentation of the food.

you were very lucky ,last time i went in the Ha Ha bar it was the most disgusting meal i have ever had in sheffield .i don't know how they did it but they made a salad inedible

I agree with the fishcakes they are so nice!!!

have been twice to 23 and both times i have had outstanding meals so its a thumbs up from me- i like that there is lots of rooms between the tables too so you don't feel your intruding on anybodys space.

Pathetic self promotion.

Sheffield Forum pessimism at its finest.

Their fish cakes are delicious. I have no links with 23 but it is one of my favourite Sheffield restaurants. They are really friendly in there, too.