The Dev Cat, why is it so popular?

It appears some Sheffielders are becoming spoilt having lived so long in the real ale paradise that is our city and are now getting a tad bitchy for no apparent reason.

Late last year I had some friends up from Hereford for the weekend to take in our game at Rotherham followed by an evening of real ale in Sheffield. They were very keen to visit as many of our GBG-listed pubs as possible and out of all of them were mightily impressed by the Dev Cat, finding it top notch for beer, food and atmosphere (this being a lively Saturday night rather than a quiet midweek one). When I ventured the suggestion that some of Sheffield's real ale fans were a bit sniffy about the Dev Cat my friend were incredulous, their opinion being that any other city in England would love a pub like the Dev Cat and that we in Sheffield should count ourselves lucky to have such a great pub in our city rather than slag it off.

Okay, no pub is perfect but I fail to see why anyone who likes real ale and good company could be unimpressed by the Dev Cat. Try spending an evening drinking real ale in somewhere like Birmingham or Manchester and by the end of the evening you'll be wishing they had a pub as good as the Dev Cat!

Edited by BasilRathbon
:noseaR

Okay, no pub is perfect but I fail to see why anyone who likes real ale and good company could be unimpressed by the Dev Cat. Try spending an evening drinking real ale in somehwere like Birmingham or Manchester and by the end of the evening you'll be wishing they had a pub as good as the Dev Cat!

At least I could get a pint of Holts in Manchester ;):D

It appears some Sheffielders are becoming spoilt having lived so long in the real ale paradise that is our city and are now getting a tad bitchy for no apparent reason.

Late last year I had some friends up from Hereford for the weekend to take in our game at Rotherham followed by an evening of real ale in Sheffield. They were very keen to visit as many of our GBG-listed pubs as possible and out of all of them were mightily impressed by the Dev Cat, finding it top notch for beer, food and atmosphere (this being a lively Saturday night rather than a quiet midweek one). When I ventured the suggestion that some of Sheffield's real ale fans were a bit sniffy about the Dev Cat my friend were incredulous, their opinion being that any other city in England would love a pub like the Dev Cat and that we in Sheffield should count ourselves lucky to have such a great pub in our city rather than slag it off.

Okay, no pub is perfect but I fail to see why anyone who likes real ale and good company could be unimpressed by the Dev Cat. Try spending an evening drinking real ale in somewhere like Birmingham or Manchester and by the end of the evening you'll be wishing they had a pub as good as the Dev Cat!

London's the place where you really notice the lack of decent real ale pubs. I can't think of any pub in London that really compares to the Devonshire Cat. The nearest thing to that in London is The Rake in Borough Market, which is like a mini Sheffield Tap. Sheffielders really should count their blessings when it comes to beer.

Keep your opinions to yourself, jonny 5 wouldn't like it. :hihi:

What would everyone think to the Dev Cat if it only had 2 handpumps. Let's say that all it sold was a pale bitter and a stronger brown one. They were both kept to the same excellent standard as now, just there were 10 handpumps missing. What would you think to the pub then?

I'd still be happy to go in but it would have lost most of its appeal. I'm not that keen on the design of the building or the atmosphere, it's mainly the range of beers that is the attraction. So if you're not bothered about real ale then I can see why you don't like the place that much.

London's the place where you really notice the lack of decent real ale pubs.

:lol:

a wind up surely.

I started reading all the posts and got bored with the arguing. In answer to the thread title, I think the Dev Cat is great for experimenting with different beers - some people hate choice; not me!

Dev Cat is my all time favourite pub in Sheffield.

A great range of real ales, I like the layout of the place and there's a good mix of clientelle.

I do agree about the bar staff though, although I should perhaps qualify that.....The Female bar staff.

I've been early Evening when there's very few people in and a couple of Women behind the bar and it's taken ages to get served as they were both completely useless. I could excuse this if they were new, but I know at least one of them has been working there for a few years.

It's much better later on in the Evening despite it being much busier because the Male bar staff seem to know what they're doing.

Regards

Doom

I agree with everything you say Basil.

If my posts defending pubs such as this seem 'abrasive' then this comes from an inability to comprehend the mentality of people wanting to run down pubs such as this, when my standpoint is that we are damned lucky to have them.

I have no problem with 'constructive criticism' and totally agree with the issues raised by urbanpebbles & bilge (*edit and Doom!).

The ambience & layout of the place are lacking, but its all about the beer and the Dev Cat has one of the most extensive in the country (thats according to the cbg btw and not just my own opinion!).

If you aren't bothered about beer then granted the dev cat has little else to win you over.

Edited by Jonny5

Dev Cat is fine - does what it says on the tin. Why some people seem to have a hard-on of hate for it is beyond me; but I don't care - hopefully they won't be in when I am, and I'll be able to enjoy a different pint of whatever is on with my friends, Jonny5, or anyone else who likes the place :)

:lol:

a wind up surely.

London has many attractions, but paying £3.10 for a pint of Young's bitter that's gone off is not one of them.

There's only a couple of pubs I can think of in London that can really match what we have with our real ale pubs in Sheffield.