The Dev Cat, why is it so popular?

I've played lucky dip with the beer menu before which was fun (the 8 or 9% called Lucifer was something special) but I went in weekend before last and frankly the place stank like the drip trays had been left full of ale for a month.

I haven't been in at peak time for a quite a while but it definitely took the bar staff long enough to stop chatting amongst themselves to bring us the two drinks.

I like the range and venue of the Dev Cat in theory - but I'm not going to rush there anytime soon.

Its popular because beer fans can take their mates in there to sample beers but they know they can still rely on the stuff they normally drink at reasonable prices, while said beer fan can continue drinking better stuff.

Couple that with a bar manager who knows his stuff and brings in some really excellent guest beers and keeps the beer menu fresh.

You can't grumble about people collecting glasses and not serving anyone, they are probably under 18 otherwise they would be serving.

Its popular because beer fans can take their mates in there to sample beers but they know they can still rely on the stuff they normally drink at reasonable prices, while said beer fan can continue drinking better stuff.

Couple that with a bar manager who knows his stuff and brings in some really excellent guest beers and keeps the beer menu fresh.

absolutely agree. can't understand how this place can attract these criticism - some people just like to search for reasons to slag a place off, no matter how untrue/trivial. im struggling to think of a better pub in the city center.

absolutely agree. can't understand how this place can attract these criticism - some people just like to search for reasons to slag a place off, no matter how untrue/trivial. im struggling to think of a better pub in the city center.

I still think it is soulless, with a crap atmosphere and I for one do not enjoy drinking or trying to get served in there. The Harlequin, Red Deer, Red Lion, The Bath are all more or less City Centre and I prefer them. They are pubs rather than drinking halls, more character better atmosphere and you can have a conversation without having to shout to make yourself heard.

If people like the place then that's fine, but others don't. Live with it.

It's different to other places and sometimes that is what you need. For example meeting a large group of people, having some reasonable good value food early evening, introducing people to real ale without taking them to an 'old man's pub' etc.

On top of that the bar staff are about the best at serving people efficiently and in the right order that I've ever seen. They achieve this despite the serving area of the bar being quite cramped relative to the capacity of the pub.

The noise is a bit of a problem when it's busy. Not sure what they can do about that without adding internal walls and doors (ie going back to old style pubs with more rooms).

My only request is they turn the lights down, it doesn't help the atmosphere when it's far too bright.

Henry's would be better for that! Although I must admit that it doesn't get the really posey clientele. The trendies are missing out if you ask me!

Hmmmm. Wait til they catch onto it. Henry's was THE place to be in the 80's, yes I can remember that far back!!, & everyone went in to pose in the big windows

Its a place i have never really taken to, lacks atmosphere even when full ! other real ale pubs have character too.

Never had a complaint about the ale though.

Had to go last night, it was a complete nightmare getting served, the staff just amble about, 60% of them seem only able to move glasses from one place to another even though it was horribly busy as the bar. Why not try serving someone? The rest were just as useless.

What's the attraction? Yes they sell a million and one different beers but everyone just orders the same as they would anywhere else!

It's just an expensive version of Witherspoons with useless staff and more students, lets burn it!

The staff in there are the only ones I know who are more miserable than those in the Porter Brook!

The staff in there are the only ones I know who are more miserable than those in the Porter Brook!

The staff in the Porter Brook are working for Greene King, which is enough of an excuse to be miserable if you ask me....

What's the food like? Do they do Sunday lunch?