Time to change the Sunday trading laws

Because this is a Christian country? Just because you don't worship or follow Christianity doesn't mean everyone else is the same. I refer you to the figures in the 2001 census I quoted.

It's people who think like you who make my blood boil. You are more than welcome to do sod all on a Sunday, but I'll do what I bloody well want. It is no different to Saturday to me and if I want to go shopping, go to the pub, or play use a noisy chain saw then I will.

So most shops are open for a couple of hours less on a Sunday than the rest of the week, perhaps a handful are closed because the shopkeepers don't want to open,

If individual shop owners want to close their shops on Sunday or any other day that is their business and I have no objection to that.

My objection is to Xians making it illegal for shop owners to open for as long as they like on Sunday.

that is forcing exactly what on you?

They are forcing their beliefs about what people should do on Sunday upon me and everyone else.

But you can choose really. The Sunday trading laws were vehemently opposed by various Christian groups when they were brought in.

Of course they were, that's because the current laws relaxed restrictions upon what people can choose to do on Sundays.

I have no idea what size 300 sq metres is. :huh:

its the size of slimsids boxers

God, some people really need to get their priorities in order. So what if the shops open for a limited time. I remember when nothing was open on a Sunday. It's not the end of the world.

If you can't go without a shopping fix, there's always internet shopping :D

It means that one group of people gets to force their ideals on other groups who do not share them. I can't, offhand, think of anything that could possibly be a bigger deal.

It's down to the Christian history that this country evolved with. Like it or not, that's how it came about, why should hundreds of years of tradition be eroded further just because you can't get to the shops on a Sunday by 4pm?

Like I said, when did the church dictate opening hours?

The figures vary depending on which poll you look at, so your claim of a "majority" isn't really concrete.

In the last census, 71% put down "Christian", 15% put down no religion. That doesn't seem like a majority to me. So while Britain is a Christian country I don't think its too much to ask to request that two, yes two measly days are spent with the shops closed.

Are you really that materialistic that you can't give Christians two days?

Come on alchresarch out of those 71% that put down "Christian" I'll wager that the majority don't go to church ,read the bible, or pray to god.

Putting down "Christian" on a census form doesn't mean that everyone actually believes in the religion, but it's the religion you were brought up with or even Christened with, and is the religion you most associate with.

If the census asked "do you believe in the Christian Bible" I'd bet rather less than 71% would say yes.

Edited by Kingmaker2

God, some people really need to get their priorities in order. So what if the shops open for a limited time. I remember when nothing was open on a Sunday. It's not the end of the world.

Whose's saying it is "the end of the world"? Plenty seem to be saying it's unjustified and annoying but I hadn't noticed anyone saying it's "the end of the world".

If you can't go without a shopping fix, there's always internet shopping :D

Yeah that's so useful if you need some pasta and a bottle of milk :roll:

Edited by plekhanov
fix typo

As someone's pointed out on another thread the major shops can't open this Sunday due to Christians thinking they have the right to tell non-Christians what they can or can't do on their day off.

Never mind Easter Sunday, I think all shops should be allowed to open when they want and for as long as they like on Sundays. At present they're only allowed to open 6 hours, which means that if you want to go to the supermarket you have to get there before 4pm, which is a bit of a pain.

Let's treat Sunday as what it is, just a normal day and let's give people the freedom to choose what they want to do with it!

Are you one of those panic buyers then? Stop moaning and let the good people in this christian country get on with it.

Edit: it's good for us workers to have the time off also. You might have 7 days a week doing nothing, but the break is a gift. UP THE WORKERS! :D

Edited by Tipex

Out of interest, don't any of you argueing against limited Sunday opening have a bit of a lie in on a Sunday? If you do have a longer lie in on Sunday mornings, why should shops open longer for you when you could get up earlier?

Those's saying it is "the end of the world"? Plenty seem to be saying it's unjustified and annoying but I hadn't noticed anyone saying it's "the end of the world".

Anyone would think it was end of the world from some of the reactions on here. It's not a new concept so why all the tantrums now? Oh, cos you all believe the religious lot have got one over on you and you don't like it. Well, the Sunday thing has been practice from centuries and has only recently been relaxed. I don't see what the problem is.

You can still get pasta and milk on a Sunday. Most supermarkets are open from 10 until 4. If that doesn't suit, there is the option of going to a convenience store for the said goods.

It's hardly a problem though is it? It's only shops above 3,000sq.m. (equiv' to approx 10,000 sq.ft.) that are closed.

So unless you need a hyperstore or a retail park for some unfathomable reason that can't wait until the morning, pretty much every other outlet else can do as it pleases.

It's got stuff all to do with religion any more, it's simply a civilised thing to do in our modern world.