Advice needed: Holidays booked before start of new job

I went for an interview and successfully got the job I applied for.

The problem I have now is that I have a 10 day holiday already booked to go in a couple months time.

I will let them know as soon as possible as they did not ask at the interview, but I would just like to know if there is any legal grounds around this issue.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks

No idea on legal issues but you ought to have said that you had already booked a holiday, doubt they would have held it against you.

they usually have to honour it, i'm surprised they didn't ask you. It's just happened to me and i was asked directly in the interview but i completely forgot that i have got a week booked at the end of august - but i did tell them when they called to offer me the post and they were fine. so best advice is to tell them asap.

Although it's bad form to not honour a pre-booked holiday I do know of a number of cases where the job offer has been withdrawn as a result of a holiday which would have meant that training for the new job was interrupted. One of them was a 6 week holiday which would have started a month into the job though, so it's pretty easy to understand that an employer needs their new staff member to be active when they're employed and not to take a whole year's annual leave within weeks of arriving.

I'd tell them as soon as possible too- if you're lucky then they won't tell you that you have to cancel or choose between job and holiday.

My last job they asked about holidays during training and not the interview, I wouldn't worry, most people book their holidays ages in advance and I'm sure they've dealt with this situation countless times before, just tell them as soon as possible :)

Years ago i had an interview,told them about my booked holiday,got the job,result,but then they wouldn't honour the time off.......Not so good had to choose job or holiday,guess what job won had a mortgage to pay,i was gutted......can't win them all i supose.

The problem I have now is that I have a 10 day holiday already booked to go in a couple months time.

I will let them know as soon as possible as they did not ask at the interview, but I would just like to know if there is any legal grounds around this issue.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks

It is generally considered good form to let the potential employer know about pre booked holidays. If you had done that it would have been fine. Most employers are fine with pre booked holidays.

Certainly inform them as soon as possible. 9 times out of 10 it won't be a problem...but...

Certainly most contracts of employment will require you to work 3 months before you have any holiday entitlement, and if they insist on that you are in bother.

Good luck..

You should really have mentioned that you had a pre-existing holiday commitment at the interview. Actually it would have been better on their part to have asked, I would imagine that they would have done if the interview had taken place in, say, June.

A difficult call though, obviously your first thought was to secure the position, and mentioning the holiday could have tipped the balance if the outcome looked marginal.

Perhaps a note in your acceptance letter ?

Can anyone help me?

Thanks

I always try to let them know at the interview stage, but so long as you let them know ASAP then there shouldn't be a problem.

I suppose you might have to take it unpaid if they aren't prepared to let you use holiday that is currently not accrued, depends on the manager really.

I know someone that was dismissed for not saying up front that they were knowingly intending to have time off work, after 2 months of starting. (surgery) Although the employer in question was a bit of an ass! This happened during their probation period and there is little protection for the employee during this time, so it is usually best in my opinion to be totally honest about it. I agree about suggesting to take it unpaid if the situation looks rocky.

If they didn't ask then it can't have been imperative you not go on holiday during the typical holiday months. However, they can choose not to pay you full holiday pay as you will not have acquired sufficient holidays to take 10 days paid.

thay might take it rong way about you not saying at your interview