Remote firewall . . . advice plz

one for the boffins , a mate of mine at work has a problem connecting to the internet due to a "remote firewall" problem ... there is a msg at the top he says which reads.. "windows confirmed that google.com is curently online but isn't respondin to connection attempts at this time."

i dunno what his O/S is but he says he has an out of date version of sophos (it wont let him delete it)

wev'e exhausted all the tricks i know ... what next ?

ive given all the info i have at the mo

first, check and confirm internet settings (Proxy, local proxy, etc)

then, remove sophos... boot to safe mode, and uninstall it manually, remove startup entries from msconfig and registry (HKLM/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Run), search the registry for any reference to 'sophos',

delete the folder in Program Files and any other references you can find (I recommend installing 'everything' to search for it, but you may need to transfer using a USB stick if you cant browse the web) (get it here.. http://www.voidtools.com/ )

restart into normal windows, and try again, if that still fails, re-check proxy and lan settings...

report back, then we can think of other things to do

i will have to see him @ work tomo .... will "UNLOCKER" get rid of sophos ?

. .

thx ... will check tomo eve & see whats happened

UNLOCKER could, all that does is what I said to do, it will find the process in use, and kill it, then delete it for you is all...

but you'll still need to go through msconfig and the registry..