Good restaurant for Chinese cuisine?

My friend's birthday is just coming and we want to try something different for him. Does anyone know a great place to eat Chinese food at reasonable price? Thank you. :)

It depends on what you want - The one on Matilda Street do a decent meal at a set price... not buffet style, but you choose from a wide range of dishes on the menu for one price, and the decor is traditional chinese restaurant style, and the food is cantonese... If you are looking actual chinese food, I can only think of two in Sheffield, and both will offer your friend a different experience if he has never had foods from main land china before... There is a chinese fondue bar on London Rd, where you buy two stocks and meats and veg from a list, they boil the stock on your table and you cook your own meats and veggies... Think it's called Jabu or somesuch... It's different, and the food there is fantastic! There is also one close by Baan Thai on London Rd, think it's called Tin Tin and if you choose from their chinese menu (they are printed in English) you can pick some traditional chinese food, rather than the stuff you find in canton places that the chinese imagine westerners like!

I wouldn't know which to choose from the last two, they're the best! But if you want something more like you're used to, the one on Matilda st wins... All are very reasonable price wise...

Wong Ting on Matilda Street is nice like Lady Star says it is more geared up to Western tastes, but a lot of Chinese eat there.

We go quite a lot and have never been disappointed.

Flaming Dragon on Centertainment is relaly nice, thats a buffet style restaurant though.

Try Baan Thai they do fantastic meals, like Chinese but much better.

Hui Wei on West st

I'd second Wong Ting, I've had two birthday meals there with the £15 all you can eat menu and it was fantastic both times. As someone said, it's not a buffet, you order what starters and mains you want from a pretty extensive selection and you can order as much as you want - you get crispy duck or a veggie alternative as well.

I'd also recommend Hei Moon on Middlewood Road in Hillsborough, if you're over this side of town. We go there fairly often and the food is really good.

Tin Tin and Noodle Inn on London Road are really good reccys, but if you are looking for something truly unique, why not try Jabu on London road. They are an authentic Chinese 'fondue' place, for lack of a better word. Very original dining experience!

Hui Wei is good, but don't mention the gangsters if you go there......

noodle inn on london road is undoubtedly the best chinese restaurant in sheffield. the menu is huge, the service is quick and friendly, the portions are massive, the prices are low, and it's probably the most popular restaurant in sheffield with actual chinese people (although perhaps zing vaa on the moor gets more daytime (lunchtime) trade from chinese people for dim sum - which is undoubtedly the best place for dim sum in sheffield may i add). i'd recommend the big bowl noodle soups or the crispy noodle dishes at noodle inn. i go every weekend, and i can't explain how good it is! you might want to book though because it's often very busy. oh, and you get free desert! (they ask you if you want ice cream or chinese desert - go for the chinese one - it's always more exciting, and you probably get more for your (non-) money!)

It depends on what you want - The one on Matilda Street do a decent meal at a set price... not buffet style, but you choose from a wide range of dishes on the menu for one price, and the decor is traditional chinese restaurant style, and the food is cantonese... If you are looking actual chinese food, I can only think of two in Sheffield, and both will offer your friend a different experience if he has never had foods from main land china before... There is a chinese fondue bar on London Rd, where you buy two stocks and meats and veg from a list, they boil the stock on your table and you cook your own meats and veggies... Think it's called Jabu or somesuch... It's different, and the food there is fantastic! There is also one close by Baan Thai on London Rd, think it's called Tin Tin and if you choose from their chinese menu (they are printed in English) you can pick some traditional chinese food, rather than the stuff you find in canton places that the chinese imagine westerners like!

I wouldn't know which to choose from the last two, they're the best! But if you want something more like you're used to, the one on Matilda st wins... All are very reasonable price wise...

The one on Matilda Street is Wong Tings. It is delicious. The food is fresh, and flavourful and appears to be enjoyed by English folk and Asian immigrants alike - a good thing, in a Chinese restaurant! Don't be put off by the lack of english fluency in some of the wait staff - the food is worth it! They actually have two menus - the set menu (where you order whatever you want for 15 pounds - chose from over 100 dishes) and they also have a second menu which is only in Cantonese and I've only ever seen it given out to Chinese people... :suspect:

The Chinese fondue bar (Jabu?) is also excellent and also a really good time, but you'd be hard pressed to fit a large group in that space. The satay broth is yummy, but the mushrooms are kind of weird.

The style of eating at Wong Tings makes it seem better suited to a large group, but they are both delicious food.