Pupils 'left traumatised' by fake school shooting

Some people really do get "traumatised" over the slightest thing nowadays.

Had my childrens school pulled such a stunt I would have complained very strongly.

As the children were not warned that it was fake I can understand why some were traumatised. I dare say some adults would have been as well, especially considering the killings that have taken place in schools in the past.

What a stupid thing for a school to allow.:rant:

Oh come on, taxman, these are kids! It sounds like some of the teachers need to grow up a bit. Total idiocy.

Oh come on, taxman, these are kids! It sounds like some of the teachers need to grow up a bit. Total idiocy.

You've changed your tune...a week ago you were arguing that ten year olds should be treated like adults. :)

You've changed your tune...a week ago you were arguing that ten year olds should be treated like adults. :)
Ah, you mean the psychpathic baby torturers and murderers? Typical 10 year olds, of course.

I don't remember saying anything like that. But this is another thread and it's a banning offence to carry one topic over to another topic. Or it WAS. *preserves a diplomatic silence*

If this happened for real in the school involved, would the children think it was a stunt again?

I think this quote says enough about why they shouldn't have done it:

Another parent said that the exercise was particularly insensitive because the father of one of the pupils had died in a shooting a few years ago. “Their wording, their timing, everything was out of order,” the parent said.

Whoever thought up this brilliant idea needs to be terminated without delay and that is just for starters. I cannot imagine how my almost 10 year old would have reacted to something like this but I can bet she would have nightmares and probably would be afraid to go back to school. A traumatic event like this can have lasting negative effects for years and years to come, even though they were told in the end that it wasn't real. I experienced the death of a loved one at an early age (9 years) and it wasn't even violent and now, almost 35 years later, I still have issues. How can anyone know how these children might be affected? Post-traumatic Stress Disorder for a start for several of them I would imagine. And if my child suffered something like that as a result of this incredibly cruel "experiment", someone would be sued.

From Times online, link in OP: "The children, aged 10 to 13, were traumatised by the stunt, which was part of a science lesson"

Could someone please explain what particular aspect of the science curriculum is best illustrated by a playground shooting?

In my job I occasionally participate in simulated emergency situations.

Of course, we know the sessions are simulated in advance, but even so some participants find it a very stressfull situation as stressfull as being in the situation for real, debrief is part of the session.

Imagine a gunman is running around in your workplace, shooting dead one of your colleagues. Watching as someone attempts resus, meanwhile you're still terrified because the gunman is still on the loose.

The feelings those children would have been experienceing will have been real. Being told 10 minutes later that it wasn't real does not make it all better.

"It was one of the more popular teachers who played the victim. I don’t think there would have been as much concern if it was one or two of the others.”

Whacko!!!