Has anyone been to southport

shopping: yep, Lord Street. Museums: The National Lawnmower Museum, just how good can it get?

The rollercoaster got demolished alas - Blackpool Pleasure Beach bought Pleasureland and decided to smash it to pieces because it was 'competition' for Blackpool. Someone else has bought the remains though and is trying to reopen it, so there mgith be one or two attractions left. No Cyclone or River Caves though :(

It's full of plastic scousers in replica shirts watching Liverpool and Evereton on TV whilst not realising they actually have a hometown team.

That is all.

Oh, and not a bad night out at all.

Sandgrounders consider themselves to be Lancastrians. They fought for years to get "Merseyside" taken off their address. You'll find they have more affinity with the woolly hinterlands of Manc than Liverpool.

You'll find most of the local footie fans follow more than one team - a premiership side and then one of the local teams - Southport, Burscough or Marine. There's a thriving grassroots football scene round there.

You'll find most of the local footie fans follow more than one team - a premiership side and then one of the local teams - Southport, Burscough or Marine. There's a thriving grassroots football scene round there.

I watched Southport the other week same day as Liverpool played Everton at midday. None of the people in the pub supporting the Liverpool teams were going to the match afterwards. The pub was about 200 yards from the ground.

Burscough get next to nowt, which is fine, it's only a village. And Marine don't get many either.

THe north west does have a large amount of non league teams mind.

Crosby beach is worth a visit to see the statues on the beach and in the sea, what I like about the area is the parking is free, it is the same if you go to New Brighton a day out without being ripped off for parking your car.

I love Southport, mainly because my parents used to us there when we were children. Lord Street is the main thoroughfare, where the trees meet overhead.

Go to the Prince of Wales hotel where there is a carvery for £6 per head.

I'd recommend:

The Pier

The lake (especially the illuminated bridges in the evening)

The smallest pub in Britain (Kenny Baker is rumoured to drink there)

Lawnmower museum!

Ainsdale Sands

Crosby Beach for "Another Place" and the incredible brick rubble beach

Liverpool for the tourist attractions

There's probably far too much to do in one day!

A nice alternative is the Wirral coastline - West Kirby, Caldy and Thurstastion, Hilbre Island and New Brighton. The prom at New Brighton offers fantastic views of the Liverpool waterfront skyline.

There's also Cheshire Oaks and Liverpool One if you fancy a bit of shopping. Plus take in the views towards Wales, Cumbria and the Peaks from the fantastic Frodsham Hill.

I watched Southport the other week same day as Liverpool played Everton at midday. None of the people in the pub supporting the Liverpool teams were going to the match afterwards. The pub was about 200 yards from the ground.

Burscough get next to nowt, which is fine, it's only a village. And Marine don't get many either.

THe north west does have a large amount of non league teams mind.

They were probably some of the 'plastic scousers' you were on about - there's one or two of them about ;) But Southport gets a good following all considered, in an area spoilt for choice for footie - my brother does a radio talk show about the local teams and it gets a good following which shows how many people do follow the small teams, even Skem FC ;)

About 3,000 travelled with the Linnets to see them win the FA Trophy, the village emptied.

You're always going to get that for the big games like the FA Trophy. Whitley Bay took nearly 20,000 for the FA Trophy final last season.

And for a town the size of Southport, I think their crowds are poor. They are currently in a promotion fight with Fleetwood and still are only getting about 800 a game. That is bad by anyone's standards, let alone a town the size of Souhtport.

But back on track, Southport, nice place :)