It's "perry" not "pear cider" so it should be cheaper!

So what is Elderflower and Lime, and Mixed Fruits Kopparberg called? Cider or Perry? I need to know!!

I don't want to upset anyone here, but the only reason why cider was cheap is down to a concession made to charge low duty in order to promote the traditional UK cider industry. So if folks producing perry want to dissociate themselves from cider they will also lose the concessions.

Sadly the lower rate duty did not lead to a revival of tradition cider making. Instead it led to the country being swamped by heavily advertised rubbish that usually claimed to be traditional Irish cider despite being made from apple pulp imported from the EU apple mountain and probably bulked out with turnips.

So most people who are upset about the rise in tax can offset this by not drinking the heavily promoted big brands and instead buy the premium products that don't spend £millions on advertising.

from the Wiki , even I'm confused now! :s

CAMRA defines perry and pear cider as quite different drinks, stating that "pear cider" as made by the large industrial cidermakers is merely a pear-flavoured drink, or more specifically a cider-style drink flavoured with pear concentrate, whereas "perry" should be made by traditional methods from perry pears only.[14] (It should be noted that Brothers, Bulmers and other pear ciders are made from pear concentrate, often imported.) Others, including the National Association of Cider Makers, on the other hand, insist that the terms perry and pear cider are interchangeable.[15] Its own rules specify that perry or pear cider may contain no more than 25% apple juice.[13][16]

from the Wiki , even I'm confused now! :s

CAMRA defines perry and pear cider as quite different drinks, stating that "pear cider" as made by the large industrial cidermakers is merely a pear-flavoured drink, or more specifically a cider-style drink flavoured with pear concentrate, whereas "perry" should be made by traditional methods from perry pears only.[14] (It should be noted that Brothers, Bulmers and other pear ciders are made from pear concentrate, often imported.) Others, including the National Association of Cider Makers, on the other hand, insist that the terms perry and pear cider are interchangeable.[15] Its own rules specify that perry or pear cider may contain no more than 25% apple juice.[13][16]

I think the confusion is deliberate and caused by manufacturers who want to miss-represent an inferior product.

Cider should be made from crushed apples and nothing else. Perry should be made from crushed pears and nothing else.

Sadly there isn't much profit in that, where as adding a bit of imported pulp to a mix of sugar produced alcohol and water does.

the last 'real' perry I had was Westons Perry at the Kelham Island Tavern, it was still, not fizzy, had a fabulous pear flavour and came with a good kick to it, I had a very merry perry evening :)

I think we should close the commons bar and sell off it's stocks, lets see how they like it then

Why don't they just hike tax on any 'cider' with the words 'white' or 'lightning' in its name? Because you don't get many 14 year olds hanging out in Endcliffe Park necking Westons, do you?

The swines............

Why don't they just hike tax on any 'cider' with the words 'white' or 'lightning' in its name? Because you don't get many 14 year olds hanging out in Endcliffe Park necking Westons, do you?

The swines............

They managed very well with the lower rate of duty on craft brewers. I don't know why they can't get this one right.

It is very simple. Insist that the rate of duty is applied to products that are made any other way than from 100% apples or pears. They could even have a different rate of tax applied to small output producers.

More to the point, where in Sheffield sells the real Perry along with regular scrumpy?

When I lived in Colchester my local pub (which was very big on real cider) used to sell an 8% Perry which the younger drinkers would try cos it was strong, and which inevitably resulted in carnage!

If you like real cider a neighbour of ours makes the stuff. Better still you can sample it free.

Towards the end of October Woodthorpe Hall make a cider run to deliver the first barrel of its cider to a pub in Millthorpe. Runners pick up the barrel and run with it to the pub and have lunch. Afterwards it is back to Woodthorpe Hall (prefereably with a carrier bag full of windfall apples) to start the next years production. At the same time cider is provided from various vintages for sampling. I seem to remember it being very strong....but rather nice.

If you like real cider a neighbour of ours makes the stuff. Better still you can sample it free.

Towards the end of October Woodthorpe Hall make a cider run to deliver the first barrel of its cider to a pub in Millthorpe. Runners pick up the barrel and run with it to the pub and have lunch. Afterwards it is back to Woodthorpe Hall (prefereably with a carrier bag full of windfall apples) to start the next years production. At the same time cider is provided from various vintages for sampling. I seem to remember it being very strong....but rather nice.

I know there's quite a few pubs round Sheffield that are very good for real cider, but I was just wondering if there are any that might sell Perry as well.

On another note, here's a Facebook campaign that may be of interest here!

Campaign to get The Wurzels to No1 in protest of Cider getting a 10% tax!

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=112832208727212&ref=share

I know there's quite a few pubs round Sheffield that are very good for real cider, but I was just wondering if there are any that might sell Perry as well.

On another note, here's a Facebook campaign that may be of interest here!

Campaign to get The Wurzels to No1 in protest of Cider getting a 10% tax!

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=112832208727212&ref=share

Certainly the Old Poets Corner at Ashover would. It won cider pub of Britain last year.

The other obvious candidate is the Arkwright Arms near Bolsover, another pub that prides itself for its range for cider and perry.

Incidentally my father knew Adge Cutler in the 1970s.