Can a song make you cry?

For me it would'nt be about what what mood i was in but the song whether it reminded me of something close to me. eg If the song on was the favourite of a departed relative which was played at their funeral something like that or if it was a song which summed up lots of things about your relationship with someone.

Originally posted by wendygs

It's not the song rather the associations I attach to the song which have an affect on me and the way I see it, the choice is mine whether I want to allow the song to have that affect.

yes a song was played at an event and now every time i hear it blub and it can be any where in public or not i will blub like a baby

Don Williams- Your my friend

Jim Reeves- I love you because

stand by me - ben e king

fields of gold

Green Onions.

When smoke gets in your eyes.

Great balls of fire.

"Sacrifice" sung by Sinead O'Conner (found on the Two Rooms album). Haunting. {Get me a clean hankie someone.....please!}

Originally posted by redrobbo

{Get me a clean hankie someone.....please!}

Ooooh. You naughty boy!

OK, I had an overwhelming need to hear Street Spirit by Radiohead this morning because I was feeling very, very sad.

Originally posted by Deavon

OK, I had an overwhelming need to hear Street Spirit by Radiohead this morning because I was feeling very, very sad.

I hope you're feeling a little more cheery now Deavon.

Redrobbo, sometimes I think I need a good old wail and weep!

Nothing like driving along the road with the stereo full blast, singing at top volume (out of tune I might add), with tear in eye to some god awful tune, that for some reason has 'sentimental value' in your life...

Clears the air sometimes.

Just make sure you're on your own when you're doing it (i.e you're not a Taxi driver or the like)

Ayup Deavon, I know exactly what you mean. That old ballad, 'Danny Boy', does it for me. It doesn't have to be on the radio or car stereo - I've just got to sing it to myself sometimes! (Oh, and always when I'm on my own of course!). It was the favourite song of a long-departed favourite Aunt & Uncle of mine.

And then 'Abide With Me' sung at funerals will always set me off a-weeping.

But just listen to Sinead O'Connor's rendition of the Elton John song "Sacrifice". At the end of the song, she repeatedly sings the extra words "I gave my heart". That's it - she's touched my heart-strings, and I'm emotionally drained by then!

{Talks to oneself: 'Oh stop it now lad, you're gettin' all maudlin' like'}.

I don't think a song itself has ever made me cry (although I've seen my sister reduced to tears by the Crazy Frog) but songs linked with an emotional time do.

Everything But The Girl: Missing (like the deserts miss the rain) does it to me every time - it feels physically painful :|

Jerusalem always makes my eyes overflow, especially when it's sung at funerals.

I want Bat out of Hell playing at mine, but hopefully not for many a year yet. :D