Equipment Recommendations

Hmmm, what you looking for that Alpkit don't offer in their bags. ?

Oops, I think you misunderstood me. I meant, I will save for the mountaineering, 4 season bag, that Alpkit have. It's a damn cheaper than anything else I have seen.

Looks like a good deal at Alpkit. I've never really done the full winter mountaineering so never needed a 4 season bag. You can see mine below. I've used it extensively and have been comfortable (with a liner) on nights where I woke up in the morning and there was a hard frost on the tent. Never had a problem and it packs really small. Can't match Alpkit for price and weight though but I can recommend the manufacturer.

http://www.outdoorgear.co.uk/eshop.asp?wci=product&wce=52413101&CameFrom=froogle

I'm sure you already know this AO but just in case, if you get a down bag, make sure you keep it dry or it won't hold the heat.

AO, i'm with you now, i did misunderstand.

Btw, my Alpkit bag is the skyehigh 600 rated to -5, i've used it down to -10 though with clothes and was comfortable, i think you'd be better off going for the pipedream, though it is more expensive.

The reason i always recommend Alpkit is unlike some equally priced bags with the Alpkit ones you get a good neck and zip baffle, these really make a difference when the temp is lower than the bags rating, put it this way, i've yet to hear a single bad word said about their bags and i know a hell of a lot of people with them.

Thanks for the advice. Fortunately, I have time on my side to deliberate over the pros and cons and thus figure out which best suits my needs.

The next big purchas will be a mountaineering coat. I have my walking stuff, but quite positive that it won't be able to withstand the temperature drop and the potential wind chill at altitude.

AO, just remember, they are a relatively small company and can quickly run out of stock, especially their down products as they are so good and so damn cheap.

Restocking is their downfall and it can take months for the bags to be in stock again so bear that in mind.

AO, just remember, they are a relatively small company and can quickly run out of stock, especially their down products as they are so good and so damn cheap.

Restocking is their downfall and it can take months for the bags to be in stock again so bear that in mind.

I have noticed. They have very little in stock and the bag that I want is not available until August.

Heads up on more gear arrived in the Poundland "Outdoor Solutions" range.

OK, you know it's not going to be the best quality but for day walks or handy spare things, or for general use saving your best gear for more serious use

• Map measurer (with token useless mini-compass), handy enough for roughly working out a route
  • Cheap & cheerful compass...wouldn't want to rely on it "in the wilds" but useful for confirming which path on waymarked walks
  • 10 litre stuff-sac ("splashproof" - not a dry-bag)
  • 500ml alloy water bottle with karabiner clip

plus some other general camping stuff...good quality enamel camping plates & bowls etc

Heads up on more gear arrived in the Poundland "Outdoor Solutions" range.

OK, you know it's not going to be the best quality but for day walks or handy spare things, or for general use saving your best gear for more serious use

• Map measurer (with token useless mini-compass), handy enough for roughly working out a route
  • Cheap & cheerful compass...wouldn't want to rely on it "in the wilds" but useful for confirming which path on waymarked walks
  • 10 litre stuff-sac ("splashproof" - not a dry-bag)
  • 500ml alloy water bottle with karabiner clip

plus some other general camping stuff...good quality enamel camping plates & bowls etc

Thanks for the recommendation. They don't happen to have mountaineering coats by any chance? :D

Thanks for the recommendation. They don't happen to have mountaineering coats by any chance? :D

Sorry, I bought the last of the Rab Expeditions they had on the shelf. It said "when it's gone, it's gone" on the label so I think you missed out! :cool:

Sorry, I bought the last of the Rab Expeditions they had on the shelf. It said "when it's gone, it's gone" on the label so I think you missed out! :cool:

Damn! Story of my life :D